• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How can I change the text on the OsCommerce home page?

ladyejan

Hi -

I'm having a huge problem with shipping calculations, (see my other note) and until it gets resolved, I need to put a note to our clients on the first page of my OsCommerce site to tell my clients about it.

Currently the page has our contact info on it and a welcome message - but I can't find any place to change that message.

Thanks for any help

Janyce

You should go in /include folder and then /language and then go into /english folder there you can find index.php. you will get all the text here and once you wil change that text it will display on your home page.

Thanks & Regards,

Nitin Sharma

I looked through some of the menus in my admin panel - but couldn't find the folder that you mentioned. Is it inside one of the other menus ? Could you give me more specific information on where to find it?

Thanks

Janyce

I looked through some of the menus in my admin panel - but couldn't find the folder that you mentioned. Is it inside one of the other menus ? Could you give me more specific information on where to find it?

Thanks

Janyce

No, you have to either download the file catalog/includes/language/english/index.php and edit the section just after define 'TEXT_MAIN'. Everything that you want to show up on the catalog page has to be between the single quotes ' your text here'.

You can fool around with text fonts, sizes and attributes in the p.main section of catalog/stylesheet.css

Alternately, if your hosting control panel has a file manager, you can use that, but try not to use the file manager in the tools section of your admin screen as rumour has it that it can be a bit "unstable" at times.

No Good Deed EVER Goes Unpunished

Alternately, if your hosting control panel has a file manager, you can use that, but try not to use the file manager in the tools section of your admin screen as rumour has it that it can be a bit "unstable" at times.

I guess that's my problem. I changed a couple of things today thru the File Manager in the Tools section, took out the OSCommerce logo and added my own etc. Everything working fine when I logged off. Logged back on and everything still fine. Now, an hour ago, my logo has disappeared off the top of the page. Even though my logo file is still in the same place and the code is exactly the same as when I left it this morning in the header file the logo is NOT showing up?? I'm guessing it's File Manager that's the problem?

I'm finding OSCommerce really frustrating to use. It's a great program, but I"m not sure how much more patience I have with it. Nothing should be this difficult!

I guess that's my problem. I changed a couple of things today thru the File Manager in the Tools section, took out the OSCommerce logo and added my own etc. Everything working fine when I logged off. Logged back on and everything still fine. Now, an hour ago, my logo has disappeared off the top of the page. Even though my logo file is still in the same place and the code is exactly the same as when I left it this morning in the header file the logo is NOT showing up?? I'm guessing it's File Manager that's the problem?

I'm finding OSCommerce really frustrating to use. It's a great program, but I"m not sure how much more patience I have with it. Nothing should be this difficult!

Well, it could be the file manager, I've never actually used it, I'm just passing along the rumour I've heard numerous times. I stick to downloading the target file in an FTP program, working on it locally and re-upping it to the site. If I'm really energetic, I use my hosting control panel File Manage and edit them in situ.

Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but, people waltz in here and say "Oh, it's free", without noting that some D/Html/XML/sql/PHP knowledge could come in handy. HOWEVER, there are also those of us here that DO have some of those qualities (in varying degrees) that regularly "patrol" the new posts section and answer questions that have been answered 1000 times before. People DO manage to accomplish a good looking, well working site, so, obviously, it's not impossible.

I've been here a little over a month, asked, maybe 10 questions, and the rest of my post total is helping people out with things ranging from installing the basic package to little tricks and things to down and dirty mods that do a specific little thing for a specific little package and I'm probably one of the MINOR helpers.

Very few people here actually CHARGE for their help and when people offer to pay me to do something for them, well, I just ignore that part of the message. So, help IS available, either through general request, through the Knowledge Base or through searching the site for similar problems.

Come now, Janyce, don't be a wimp, it's no worse than unassisted childbirth :lol: You'll survive and produce a wonderful and productive store. All it takes is a little experience, a little perserverance and a LOT of plaintive posts to the appropriate areas :D

Richard The Ruthless :P

No Good Deed EVER Goes Unpunished

nothing should be difficult?

Cash from your store should just run in without any effort at all....

No having patience and investing time and effort in bussiness seldomly pays off... :'(

what is the absolute path for your image (direct request to an image, for example http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/style_emotico...ault/crying.gif), and what is displayed in the source of your "html generated output" as the browser sees it (if that is too hard to tell, then do post a link to your site).

I do not care for the couse of your problem, just like helping people out, I do however require patience and kindness to keep me going. Frustrations you can express on a sport such as boxing, not supposed to end up in a forum filled with people trying to help you out.

don't worry,

I was feeling frustrated in the beginning until I started learning.

In OsCommerce Forum there are great people helping. If I can help, let me know :blush:

ViVi

Archived