• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

error when force cookie use to false

ollyno1uk2

Hi there

I need some advice. I have put prevent spider sessions to true in my configutation. I have also got force cookie use to true.

I read somewhere here that this could stop some people accessing my site so I decided to stop forcing cookie usage but still preven spiders.

When I do this I get the following error

Warning: file(includes/spiders.txt) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/application_top.php on line 180

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/application_top.php:180) in /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 98

I have now turned the force cookie use to true and it goes away.

What should I do? I do not want spiders creating sessions but I do not want people being unableto access my site.

Any advice will be most gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi there

I need some advice. I have put prevent spider sessions to true in my configutation. I have also got force cookie use to true.

I read somewhere here that this could stop some people accessing my site so I decided to stop forcing cookie usage but still preven spiders.

When I do this I get the following error

Warning: file(includes/spiders.txt) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/application_top.php on line 180

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/application_top.php:180) in /home/ollyno1/public_html/jbosolutions/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 98

I have now turned the force cookie use to true and it goes away.

What should I do? I do not want spiders creating sessions but I do not want people being unableto access my site.

Any advice will be most gratefully received.

Thanks

make sure you have a includes/spiders.txt file

Treasurer MFC

make sure you have a includes/spiders.txt file

Ok I think this may be where the error is. I moved this to the root directory a while ago. Should I not have one in the root? :blush:

In your opinion should this option be set to true or false for optimal SEO and user friendlyness?

Thanks

Ok I think this may be where the error is. I moved this to the root directory a while ago. Should I not have one in the root? :blush:

In your opinion should this option be set to true or false for optimal SEO and user friendlyness?

Thanks

no, robots.txt goes in the root, spiders.txt goes into includes.

optimal SEO and user friendlyness have no relation to this.

Treasurer MFC

no, robots.txt goes in the root, spiders.txt goes into includes.

optimal SEO and user friendlyness have no relation to this.

Ok i have moved this now. I am unsure whether to leave my force cookies on or off. What are the pros and cons of the 2 options?

I am about to get an SSL certificate. Will this require force cookies to be off?

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me.

Ok i have moved this now. I am unsure whether to leave my force cookies on or off. What are the pros and cons of the 2 options?

I am about to get an SSL certificate. Will this require force cookies to be off?

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me.

"force cookies" basically means that if your cookies don't work sessions don't work and as such many aspects of your shop don't work.

There is no "forcing" cookies in this world so it should have been called "no cookie - no shopping".

ssl, no relation.

shared ssl, no forcing cookies.

Treasurer MFC

"force cookies" basically means that if your cookies don't work sessions don't work and as such many aspects of your shop don't work.

There is no "forcing" cookies in this world so it should have been called "no cookie - no shopping".

ssl, no relation.

shared ssl, no forcing cookies.

so am I correct to assume that your reccomendation is to have force cookies set to off? Te ensure all aspects of my store work?

Thanks again

so am I correct to assume that your reccomendation is to have force cookies set to off? Te ensure all aspects of my store work?

Thanks again

no recommendation, I normally charge for recommendations so I only tell you the implications as those are for free.

Treasurer MFC

Archived