• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mac OS-X (Tiger) on Intel Instalation Questions

mrdalej

I am a newbie to this forum as I am about to evaluate osCommerce in preparation to move my WS4D and Witango store(s) to a common platform. My test server is an 1.67GHz Intel duo core Mac mini with 2GB RAM and I am running 10.4.8.

So my questions about osCommerce are these:

1. is there an easy to follow set of instructions as to what I should do from the GUI and from Terminal?

2. what applications should I acquire besides osCommerce? mySQL, PHP, CGI etc etc?

3. is there a Macintosh forum inside the osCommerce forums? I ask as I was on another products forum and the LINUX geeks thought us Mac geeks should be elswhere and I don't want to offend, I just need to be frugal with my time. ie get the correct answer and not get insulted for not being redhat or some such.

A little background about me may help potential information doners. I am an ISP, I do all of my own DNS, I use Macintosh on 11 servers and LINUX on two. I host FileMaker Pro 8 Advanced DBs, I have 4 WebSTAR 5.4.1 servers, I prefer EIMS to WebSTAR mail (I have four EIMS servers). The first store I want to use as a test has a FileMaker Pro DB with apx 60,000 items (many are different sizes or colors of the same thing) and yes I do believe I will need to be able to use mySQL instead of FileMaker.

Thanks for any pointers as to what should be done to get to a finished/testable product ASAP. :thumbsup:

Aren't the Mac Mini's an Intel Core Solo, or is that just the 1.5GHz model?? =P

1. It is easy, as long as everying is configured right.

2. You only need to get MySQL (get MySQL 4.something). php and Apache are already on there, you just have to enable it. If you put in on OSX server., mySQL is on there already.

Rob

Rob Bell - Inspired Graphix

Customising osCommerce in Australia, and the world!

View my profile for web and email links.

I'm sorry, but i cannot offer Free support via PM etc, and osCommerce forums prohibit me from putting any reference to paid support in my signauture.

However viewing my profile may provide links to my website or something like that which you may find useful.

Here is what it says in the About This Computer:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini

Machine Model: Macmini1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

I am off to get mySQL and I am sure I will be posting back so thanks for the feedback.

2. You only need to get MySQL (get MySQL 4.something). php and Apache are already on there, you just have to enable it. If you put in on OSX server., mySQL is on there already.

Rob

Is there a good reason (stability or or ) to use mySQL 4.X over the current version of 5.X?

TIA

Rob

Is there a good reason (stability or or ) to use mySQL 4.X over the current version of 5.X?

Not really, except that it's a known and stable platform.

Have you considered a MAMP install, as it appears to be totally separate from the main OS systems?

MAMP

It's got:

Apache Version: 2.0.55

MySQL Version: 5.0.19

PHP Version: 4.4.2 & 5.1.4

Zend Optimizer: 2.6.0

phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2

plus lots of other stuff. For stand alone install, visit Marc Liyanage's excellent site.

---john---

I personally think that MAMP or something like that is a little overkill. Apache and php4 are already installed, so why bother re-doing it! I had installed php5 on my mac and had everything working, but decided to backtrack.

The main reason many people choose MySQL4 and php4 is that the large majority of servers out there are running it too. I try and get my development environment as close to the server as possible to help avoid the possibility of dramas when trying to put the site live. And yeah, they've been around longer, so tend to be more stable.

Rob

I'm sorry, but i cannot offer Free support via PM etc, and osCommerce forums prohibit me from putting any reference to paid support in my signauture.

However viewing my profile may provide links to my website or something like that which you may find useful.

After playing with installing PHP and MySQL and upgrading Apache and being almost there I decided to back my HD up to an external source and then I put back a clean copy of how the HD had been 3 days ago and installed MAMP and in 2 hours I had osCommerce up and no error messages. :D

I think Apple should have a link to MAMP! I had to tweek Apache in 3 minor places and I was done! :P

So far no problems with osCommerce or my test server.... I will chime back in Monday after I have billing, shipping, multiple countries etc etc working (I hope).

dale j

I personally think that MAMP or something like that is a little overkill. Apache and php4 are already installed, so why bother re-doing it! I had installed php5 on my mac and had everything working, but decided to backtrack.

The main reason many people choose MySQL4 and php4 is that the large majority of servers out there are running it too. I try and get my development environment as close to the server as possible to help avoid the possibility of dramas when trying to put the site live. And yeah, they've been around longer, so tend to be more stable.

Rob

I have a small "Server" that i link all my powermacs back to, and that is just a 1.5GHz Mini (as it doesn't really have to think, just fileserver and run MySQL etc).

All I had to do on a clean OSX install was install MySQL, and enable php and Apache. About 5mins work.

I just installed osC and was done!

But hey, as long as it works for you, then great!

Rob

I think one of the attractions of MAMP is that it's 'sandboxed'. You can muck around with it and if it falls over - well just install it again. It doesn't affect the OS at all, so your normal operations are protected.

---john---

Yeah, that's a point i guess. I just try and run things on a minimum to keep it as fast as possible.

Rob

• 3 months later...
I have a small "Server" that i link all my powermacs back to, and that is just a 1.5GHz Mini (as it doesn't really have to think, just fileserver and run MySQL etc).

All I had to do on a clean OSX install was install MySQL, and enable php and Apache. About 5mins work.

I just installed osC and was done!

But hey, as long as it works for you, then great!

Rob

Rob

Are you running the regular OS X on your mini, or the Server OS X?

Is your mini dedicated to being a "server"?

I went to mysql.com, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to download?

I'm trying to setup a little online store, and I want to use oscommerce and do everything from home. I am thinking about buying a mac mini to use as a server, but I just want to make sure I can do everything I need before I buy it. I just want to put my website on it, and a database with my inventory and orders and such (that's where oscommerce comes into place from what I understand).

I'm pretty green, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Archived