• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Verizon blocking e-mail

mglas

I am have a problem with Verizon customers - they all have their e-mails rejected (new customer registrations, password resets, order information), etc. with a 550 error - telling me that I am not authorized to send mail to verizon.

Anyone else seen this? I am sending from the US to the US (in most cases).

Thanks

You might be on a blacklist.

You can test your ip here.

Other great Open Source (Free) programs: (Free as in free speech not free beer)

The Gimp - An image program. | Firefox - All you have to do is add the Web Developer add-on to make this web browser complete. | FileZilla - An ftp program. | Inkscape - A good program to create images with. | Thunderbird - An email program. | Openoffice.org - An office suite that is compatible with MS Office. | Abiword - Another office suite. | Audacity - A sound recording tool. | ddp's Picks | Wordpress - An easy to use blogging software. | Joomla - An easy to use CMS that has ecommerce plug-ins. | Drupal - Another CMS

How do I find these programs? Google Search!

You might be on a blacklist.

You can test your ip here.

Make sure you enter your domain name without the "www" or you'll get a no records found every time.

Just between us, remember there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Remember, learning is a "do-it-yourself" experience; although, not necessarily a "do-it-BY-yourself" experience.

The quickest way to learn is to forget to BACKUP!

I was not blacklisted.

I did take a look at the catalog side email class and noticed that it was not adding a Reply-To the the SMTP headers. I added one in and now it appears that the verizon mail is getting through.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

I have been trying to solve this same problem for months... and just found the answer this evening.

emails from our website were not going through to Verizon, also aol, etc. Reason was that the name of the hosting server is different from the site's name. The Returnpath field in the headers kept showing the hosting server name (anonymous@hosting_server.com) which did not agree with the "From" field... so the big ISP's drop the email

I first tested that theory and found that changing my site's Full Host Name (my site is on a dedicated server) made the Returnpath field change and sure enough the emails from the website sailed through to Verizon no problemo. I wanted to keep the old servername though so that other domains hosted on our server could also send emails succesfully... so I kept digging.

Some wonderful person from our server company (Data393) sent me an email link to some good php info... I ultimately needed only to add the following three lines towards the end of "application_top.php" in the "store/includes" folder and also in the "store/admin/includes" folder:

putenv ("QMAILUSER=user");

putenv ("QMAILNAME=domain_name");

putenv ("QMAILHOST=domain_name.com");

That did it... the returnpath on the emails generated by the site now show "domain_name <user@domain_name.com>" and the emails are coming through to my Verizon.net email addrdess ! Thank God this one is solved.

Britt, is that fix just for QMail users - I'm in the same boat, I have a dedicated box but my mailboxes are still on my webspace reseller account, therefore reverse DNS doesn't match etc etc.

My issue is with AOL and I've applied the AOL Email fix found elswhere in the Forum.

The issue is sending mail from one box where the domain name mail records point to another.

I'm on Windows 2003 SMTP service for outgoing mail from the site.

Any thoughts?

Archived