• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can I just use Paypal with OScommerce?

Jged

Hi,

I just been told about oscommerce by a neighbour who recommended OSCommerce.

I run a website: www.carbon-monoxide-detectors.co.uk and just use paypal buttons. Would it be to my advantage to incorporate OSCommerce into my site?

I don't want to use VIsa, Mastercatrd etc as they take too much of the profit which often is only small.

Do I need any programming skills to incorporate the software?

Any help appreciated!

Jged :)

It would probably be beneficial for you to use the package. It sounds like getting it installed might be a problem for you, although many people have managed it so that shouldn't deter you. When you use paypal, even now, if you don't offer the customer the option of using their credit card, you are only hurting yourself. You get charged the same by paypal whether it is a charge on a credit card or a transfer from a paypal account.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think then that by not having the option of Visa/Mastercard etc that I am losing business if that is what you are saying? I have in fact placed Visa/Mastercard payments options as paypal processes these payments without customers having to register their details anymore?

Does setting up the shop need a knowledge of php or any other language forthat matter?

Thanks,

Jged :)

Yes, you can lose business if the customer is not allowed to use a payment method they feel comfortable with. Also, not everyone has, nor wants, a paypal account.

It is difficult to answer if "setting up the shop ..." requires php knowledge since I don't knwo what you mean by "setting up." If you mean to install the package and start using it, then, no, you don't need to know php. If you mean that you want to change text, replace images and that sort of thing, then then answer is probably still no but you will have to edit some of the code. But that is just a matter of opening a file and typing in the text you want, generally. So you will be editing php code but it is in a defined part of it that doesn't require you to know the language. Many, if not most, users of oscommerce come to it without any programming knowledge and they do fine. It should not be a deciding factor in deciding whether to use the shop or not. You should install it and see for yourself if it is for you. That is the only way you will really know.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived