• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SuperTracker - search keyword report

dmorland

I have just installed v3.2b of this contribution to try it out. The reports in the admin area for showing popular search keywords dont seem to work. Looking at the SuperTracker table in the database and the installation instructions, I can't see anywhere where it captures the search keyword information to start with. Is this contribution meant to be able to report on search keywords?

• 2 weeks later...
I have just installed v3.2b of this contribution to try it out. The reports in the admin area for showing popular search keywords dont seem to work. Looking at the SuperTracker table in the database and the installation instructions, I can't see anywhere where it captures the search keyword information to start with. Is this contribution meant to be able to report on search keywords?

Hi Dave,

yes, the Supertracker is meant to store this information. It does this by splitting the captured referral URL into 2 parts a)The main part of the URL which gives an indication of the site from which the hit came (e.g. http://www.google.com and b) The GET parameters (e.g. q=what%20I%20am%20searching%20for%20&someotherparameter=true&etcetc).

By looking at the b) part stored in the database, supertracker is able to filter out the bits in the parameter string which represent what was searched for. Each search engine is different (they may use q=, query=, p=, etc) so multiple filter patterns are used - it's not 100% foolproof, but can easily be extended for other search engines if you find one that doesn't get picked up in Supertracker today.

Hope this helps,

Mark