• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to add alt-tags to all images...

GD

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate your help :!:

I want to add alt-tags to all the images used for the catalog, as well as, images I will be adding later-on. The reason "for-the-need" of these alt-tags, at least for me, is that, when someone hovers-over them, for example, a pixel.gif, the alt-tag is shown as an empty-tag. And I think this looks really bad. :shock:

I'm using a "heavily-modified" snapshot from 7/8/2002, that is updated with the latest CVS changes.

Thanks, GD :D

Running osC - 2.2MS2. P.S. Please don't ask for a link to my site, it is on a production server and not available for the general public, yet!

I seem to remember you can just specify the ALT tag in the tep_image() function... believe it's build in allready.. Can't check right now but try to write

, 'My ALT Tag'

before the closing ( ) ) bracket in the tep_image() function...

99% sure that will work perfectly.

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

as well as, images I will be adding later-on.

For that you could specify a default value in the actual function,

look at the tep_image() func in html_output.php.

M

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Thanks Mattice,

I took a look at the catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 66:

function tep_image($src, $alt = '', $width = '', $height = '', $parameters = '')

I see the formatting: image source, alt text, ect. I guess I should leave this as-is, and just add my alt-tag information to the page code. :huh:

-----------------------------------------

EXAMPLE:

define('BUTTON_IN_CART', 'Add to Cart');<-- Is this the alt-tag information for this image

Or should I also add the code below :?:

// in_cart.gif image alt-tag text

define('BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_ALT', 'Add to Cart');

// in_cart.gif image width and height in pixels

define('BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_IMAGE_WIDTH', '151');

define('BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_HEIGHT', '14');

-----------------------------------------

Then add to the code of each page, where needed...

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'button_in_cart.gif', 'BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_ALT', 'BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_IMAGE_WIDTH', 'BUTTON_IN_CART_IMAGE_HEIGHT'); ?>

I know this is very time-consumming, I'm hand-coding everything anyway, I just want to know if I'm heading the right-direction, as I'm pretty-new to PHP? :!:

I hope I'm making myself clear. :oops:

I want each image, except for pixel.gif of course to show it's own alt-tag information when someone hovers-over them.

I'll just add a define('IMAGE_PIXEL_TRANS', ''); AND define('IMAGE_PIXEL_BLACK', ''); to the catalog/includes/languages/english.php, so these image will not show any alt-tag.

Thanks again, GD :D

Running osC - 2.2MS2. P.S. Please don't ask for a link to my site, it is on a production server and not available for the general public, yet!

• 4 weeks later...

-- Self Closed --

For...

1. Lack of my own knowledge of osC and (.php) code.

2. Lack of interest from knowledgeable people.

I guess, I'll stick with the generic look.

-- Self Closed --

Archived