• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding items slows store

roughrider

I have a big problem with my store.

It is a problem that has been ongoing even when I was on a shared server & had very few items listed.

Every time I add a new item, the live store slows right down & takes several seconds to load a page.

But is fine once somebody has reloaded a page.

So as I'm spending all day every day adding or changing items, potential customers are having to wait an age for a page to load.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

It must be a database issue as I am on my own dedicated server & so in general my store loads very quickly.

I'm very desperate, please help.

Thanks

Ride It Like You Stole It

No the server is fine, like I said I had the same problem when I was on a complete different system.

I think it's mysql as they just tweaked it by adding these lines to my /etc/my.cnf file:

set-variable = key_buffer=384M

set-variable = table_cache=512

and it's a defo improvement.

I would think this must be a common OSC problem so any more tips on how to improve would be much appreciated. Thanks

Ride It Like You Stole It

It depends on how many products you have. In my experience, somewhere around 10,000 products - depending on server load - the database starts to really slow down.

How many products do you have?

Which contributions are you running?

There are a few more buffer sizes that can be increased to help. The sort_buffer especially can improve performance.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ser...parameters.html

Make sure you're not using OSCommerce info boxes that you don't need. For example, if you don't need the What's New box, don't use it.

If you turn on the slow query log, you can identify the troublesome queries and optimize them. For example, the specials box can be particularly devastating to run with a high number of products because it does multiple joins. It can be rewritten to use a temporary table so that it only has to compare a fraction of the records that a multiple join query has to compare.

See this thread for general tips on improving speed:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119077

The idea is to remove queries you don't need, but in my experience that approach probably will only get you so far. You'll need to pick out the queries that are killing your performance and either tune the database or the code to optimize for a high number of products. What is probably killing your performance is not unneeded queries (which usually run quick since they return little data) as much as it is unoptimized queries (which tend to run slow because they have to compare too many records).

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Archived