• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Add Percentage + Handling Fee

elogicmedia

Yes I wonder why you think it is illegal, I noticed that a contriubution for paypal IPN allows you to add the % onto the total.

I think I'll be able to add the handling charge onto the freight so now I'm just after the % for paypal.

Thanks

Adam:

A surcharge to accept a PayPal payment is against the PayPal agreement (at least for US PayPal accounts).

The Payments (Sending, Receiving, and Withdrawals) Policy at PayPal expressly prohibits imposing a fee to accept payment via PayPal.

Link to the Policy Here - See Section V.

Here is a copy and paste of Section V. from the above linked-to page:

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

While the PayPal IPN contribution you speak of may work flawlessly to add a surcharge for PayPal payments it will violate the PayPal agreement (again - the US agreement at least).

Endless functions could be coded that would work as intended but would violate laws or policies.

If the policy linked to and quoted above applies to you and you disregard it by coding a surcharge for PayPal payments do not be surprised when someone turns you in to PayPal and your PayPal account is suspended for violating the policy.

I personally wouldn't turn any site in but I wouldn't buy from a site that singled my payment method out for a surcharge either.

Amanda - Law and wisdom often react like matter and anti-matter when brought to close proximity. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Adam:

A surcharge to accept a PayPal payment is against the PayPal agreement (at least for US PayPal accounts).

The Payments (Sending, Receiving, and Withdrawals) Policy at PayPal expressly prohibits imposing a fee to accept payment via PayPal.

Link to the Policy Here - See Section V.

Here is a copy and paste of Section V. from the above linked-to page:

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

While the PayPal IPN contribution you speak of may work flawlessly to add a surcharge for PayPal payments it will violate the PayPal agreement (again - the US agreement at least).

Endless functions could be coded that would work as intended but would violate laws or policies.

If the policy linked to and quoted above applies to you and you disregard it by coding a surcharge for PayPal payments do not be surprised when someone turns you in to PayPal and your PayPal account is suspended for violating the policy.

I personally wouldn't turn any site in but I wouldn't buy from a site that singled my payment method out for a surcharge either.

Amanda - Law and wisdom often react like matter and anti-matter when brought to close proximity. :)

ah, american rule of law, did not know it still existed.

Treasurer MFC

• 3 weeks later...