• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax rates

glitter

How do I get it show the correct rax rate by zone upon checkout? Right now, all the taxe rates for the different zones are combined upon checkout (i.e. Ontario Canada has 15%, British Columbia has 8%, but checkout is putting tax at 23%) :stupid:

www.touchofglitter.ca

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, I am having trouble figuring out how to only charge NY custoemrs for sales tax.

Please explian in newbie english.

From the front screen, under Locations / Taxes, click on Tax Zones.

Click Insert.

Under Zone Name, write "New York."

Under Description, write "New York Local Sales Tax Zone."

Click on Details.

Click on Insert.

Under Country, select United States.

Under Zone, select New York.

Now go to Tax Rates.

Click on New Tax Rate.

Under Tax Class Title, select Taxable Goods.

Under Tax Rate (%), enter your local sales tax.

You can write whatever you want under description.

This should work for you. :thumbsup:

I am so happy to finally be able to help someone else!!!

From the front screen, under Locations / Taxes, click on Tax Zones.

Click Insert.

Under Zone Name, write "New York."

Under Description, write "New York Local Sales Tax Zone."

Click on Details.

Click on Insert.

Under Country, select United States.

Now go to Tax Rates.

Click on New Tax Rate.

Under Tax Class Title, select Taxable Goods.

Under Tax Rate (%), enter your local sales tax.

You can write whatever you want under description.

This should work for you.  :thumbsup:

I am so happy to finally be able to help someone else!!!

I just wanted you to know that I had a simalar problem, and your tip helped me as well!!! thanks

Remember... Where ever you go... There you are!

I'm working with a large jewelry store chain, and they have stores in Tenn. and Miss.... I want to switch over to osCommerce, of course, but I wanted to make sure that the zones can be set up to charge state sales tax to people ordering from TN, and MS, both. Because I know in the config it has me set up where my store is located, and that's only one zone... do I just add other zones, and they're automatically taxed?

n00b, young thomas

• 1 year later...

re New York sales tax

In New York you have to charge sales tax according to the county where the item is being shipped, so you have to charge a different amount when shipping to Albany than shipping to NYC.

There are two ways of handling this: you can figure the local tax rate by ZIP code or by county. NY discourages collecting tax by ZIP code as this is not totally accurate; they prefer collecting by county.

There is a ZIP based contribution http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2792/ and I am preparing a county based contrib I'll upload in the next couple of days.

If anyone wants to try it before I upload it just PM me.

Peter

I need help as well. When I follow the steps above, and then click on Details, I get the following message:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-20, 20' at line 1

select a.association_id, a.zone_country_id, c.countries_name, a.zone_id, a.geo_zone_id, a.last_modified, a.date_added, z.zone_name from zones_to_geo_zones a left join countries c on a.zone_country_id = c.countries_id left join zones z on a.zone_id = z.zone_id where a.geo_zone_id = 2 order by association_id limit -20, 20

I have the same problem of tax being added in to every order regardless of the state the customer is ordering from.

Help please!

Ok, so the official fix took care of the problem, which is:

Line 67 in catalog/includes/classes/split_page_results.php must be changed from:

$this->sql_query .= " limit " . $offset . ", " . $this->number_of_rows_per_page;

to:

$this->sql_query .= " limit " . max($offset, 0) . ", " . $this->number_of_rows_per_page;

Line 38 in catalog/admin/includes/classes/split_page_results.php must be changed from:

$sql_query .= " limit " . $offset . ", " . $max_rows_per_page;

to:

$sql_query .= " limit " . max($offset, 0) . ", " . $max_rows_per_page;

• 1 year later...

I've set my Ontario Canada PST (RST) tax zones, classes, rates properly. 8% is added to the product and shipping costs to Ontario delivery addresses... GOOD!

No tax is added when shipping outside Ontario...GOOD!

If I have a billing address in Ontario, but a delivery address outside Ontario, 8% is added to the product price... NOT good.

If I have a billing address outside Ontario, but a delivery address in Ontario, 8% is added to the shipping costs only...NOT good.

So it seems to me that the Canada Post Shipping module is calling for the proper info. Great.

But what file calculates the product taxes? It seems that it is calculating on the billing, and not the delivery address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've set my Ontario Canada PST (RST) tax zones, classes, rates properly. 8% is added to the product and shipping costs to Ontario delivery addresses... GOOD!

No tax is added when shipping outside Ontario...GOOD!

If I have a billing address in Ontario, but a delivery address outside Ontario, 8% is added to the product price... NOT good.

If I have a billing address outside Ontario, but a delivery address in Ontario, 8% is added to the shipping costs only...NOT good.

So it seems to me that the Canada Post Shipping module is calling for the proper info. Great.

But what file calculates the product taxes? It seems that it is calculating on the billing, and not the delivery address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting.... I'm not getting the same results as you! Store is in Ontario, but can't get GST/PST to be calculated on Ontario shipping address. No matter waht I do it calculates it against the item cost! Nuts!

Confused....

Ragi Sekaly

Northern Penguin Technologies

Interesting.... I'm not getting the same results as you! Store is in Ontario, but can't get GST/PST to be calculated on Ontario shipping address. No matter waht I do it calculates it against the item cost! Nuts!

Confused....

How do you have your PST zones/classes/rates set up?

Not sure what you mean "No matter waht I do it calculates it against the item cost". What do you want it calculated against?

I think I have found the solution to my problem. I installed the previous version of CCGV (trad) which charges on shipping, NOT billing address, just like stock OScommerce.

• 3 months later...

I think i am having similar problems, but have so far been unable to fix it. The shop I have set up is located in MN. I want to set it up so that only people ordering from MN get taxed, the rest get no taxes. I set up a tax zone and rate specific to MN, but when someone from, say NY, goes to purchase anything, on the first delivery information page it says the following

This is currently the only shipping method available to use on this order.

Zone Rates Zone Rates

No shipping available to the selected country

The same item and page when the account is from MN works fine, it shows the shipping option and you can continue. Not sure what to do here. Ive tried creating a zone that includes all of the US and setting the tax rate for that to 0%, but it does the same thing. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Archived