• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Request for site Review

My website is a joint effort with a web design company and myself. They gave me a plain store with a simple installed version of oscommerce, but they did the graphic art and the coding to get it installed.

I didn't know a thing about php, so I had to take a crash course to get this store customized, and I thank all of you here who have contributed your time to support this technology. I hope that I will be able to return what I have learned as well when I get to know oscommerce a bit better.

My site has been up for several months, but I have been getting my traffic from advertising on web forums. I recently added some SEO contributions and I have been aggresively getting links to help my rankings but I am not moving off of a PR 1.

If anyone can look over my site, I would appreciate some friendly reviews and suggestions.

The only problem with SEO that I can detect is that I am getting a lot of supplemental listing with google related to popup.php, and I suspect that this might be hurting me althoug not all pages are listed as supplemental.

Thanks again for your time.

Dish Jockey Satellite Shop

I think you have done some great work on your site.You have added many good contributions.

It is good that you added a phone number to th contact us page but you mught wnat to add an address as well.

Is it a template you used for the layout.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Is it a template you used for the layout.

Thanks for the encouragement and the tip about the address. Even though the address is on the main page and in the footer, I still get people calling me and emailing me for my address.

I am not sure whether a template was used or not, as the company I hired was responsible for implementing the graphic desing into the system. I can look and see if there is any evidence of the html template contribution.

You should submit a google site map if you haven't already. + Edit your robots.txt to eliminate unwanted your search results. Check info for webmasters at google.com. + Google analytics is great - I suggest it as well if you aren't already using it. Nice clean site. Eventually, you may want to create spanish copy for your SP section - reach more people.

hi.

error:

when i click http://www.dishjockey.com/lnb-c-25.html

or any other category in the bottom-left corner

"could not open XML input".

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site. I am not seeing that error. Is it possible that it was a temporary issues related to my server?

The xml error might imply that the results for the news feed is was not available at the time. I currently am using the news feed contribution, and every page load, it requests the xml results which happen to be a custom query I setup through google to narrrow down the topics.

This might be a very inefficient method, and I might have to figure out a way to store the results on my server and have it update once a day.

You should submit a google site map if you haven't already. + Edit your robots.txt to eliminate unwanted your search results. Check info for webmasters at google.com. + Google analytics is great - I suggest it as well if you aren't already using it. Nice clean site. Eventually, you may want to create spanish copy for your SP section - reach more people.

Thanks for taking the time to review my site and post suggestions.

I have already added the site map, and I have had access to webmaster page from google for a couple of weeks now. I went through the list and corrected everything they said to do and I uploaded my site map.

My problem is that I was not ranking at all in the top 100 when I added all of my SEO work(header tags and writing good content). A week or so into the SEO work, I started getting ranked on page 5-7 on google for just about all of my product names.

I added a bunch of web directories (about 30) a week ago, and since then, I have disappeared from the top 100 on everything except my store name. In fact, I am around the 300s now for SERP.

I do have most of my site translated in spanish also, BTW. When I started looking at all of my google results http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.di...y.com&hl=en , I noticed that all of the spanish pages and all of my product picturers were indexed and listed as the dreaded "supplemental".

From what I have been reading about supplemental results, it looks pretty grim for my site, and I don't have a clue where to go from here. Even if I can figure out what went wrong and fix it, it may be next to impossible to get out of the supplemental resutls.

Thanks again.

Archived