• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Download Feature

bkellum

Previously, when i set the download by redirect to false, my downloads began working. I have installed a couple contributions (MATC, Discount Codes, and Quantity Discount) which all appear to be working/functioning fine, but my downloads have reverted to having the same issues i was having previously.

If download by redirect is true, the system tries to find the file in the pub directory; however, it hasn't been written there. If it is set to false, the link has the order number and ID in it (for example: /download.php?order=11&id=9) and I am getting a not found error.

I have gone through all the discussions i could find about configuration files, making sure downloads are allowed, SEF URLs, proper file naming for zip files, setting product attributes, download by redirect etc.

Thinking about trying Super Download contribution...but not sure it will solve any existing issues :wacko: . Can anyone offer any thoughts/advice?

@@skigirl

I have NEVER not installed Super Download Store in a virtual goods site and as long as the file name is the same as the file you uploaded to the /download directory then the purchase process works.

I have read some of your posts and can't really offer an explanation but would still suggest Installing Super Download Store as the default download controller doesn't perform well.

Chris

@@DunWeb, Well, that installation didn't go well...ended up with a internal server error. i've reverted to the previous version where the download links were not working and will just continue my research or will start with a fresh install and make super downloads the first contribution added.

• 1 month later...

A small tip that might help all those persons who suffer with 'inert' download links after the customer order download status has been set to either processing or delivered. Having recently assisted several people over the last few months who could not get their download link to become live, they all had a common configuration fault. They had failed to ensure that the admin/orders status was set correctly. It does not appear to be on too many check lists that are suggested by forum members. Go into 'Admin -Localization- Orders Status' and ensure that the download column is set with a tick for each state that you wish to allow a download. Without it set it will not matter what modifications are installed or how well everything else is working, the link will not be visible.

• 4 months later...

Well, it would seem I have the opposite problem. I can't stop my download link from being live. People can go through the buying process and then be given the download link before I can confirm payment. Any ideas anyone.

I'm using OS Commerce installed on 1and1.com hosting service. They install it for me as part of their "click n build" features.

I am trying to set up downloadable PDF files in the products of the catalog. However, I can't find where to put them. I do not see a catalog/download folders. I do see a folder with titled "download", but when I try to upload items to the folder it says that the parent folder is not writeable. I've tried to change it to writeable, but it won't

How do I upload the files and where do I put them? The examples here are old, from 2006.

Well, it would seem I have the opposite problem. I can't stop my download link from being live. People can go through the buying process and then be given the download link before I can confirm payment. Any ideas anyone.

Depends on which oscommerce version you are using, if 2.3+ you can set which order statuses downloads should be available/not available for.

If you have an older oscommerce version then you can install an add-on like the Super Download Store, which will let you "restrict" downloads access and more.

I'm using OS Commerce installed on 1and1.com hosting service. They install it for me as part of their "click n build" features.

I am trying to set up downloadable PDF files in the products of the catalog. However, I can't find where to put them. I do not see a catalog/download folders. I do see a folder with titled "download", but when I try to upload items to the folder it says that the parent folder is not writeable. I've tried to change it to writeable, but it won't

How do I upload the files and where do I put them? The examples here are old, from 2006.

If you shop is installed in the root / then there is where you will find the downlods folder.

If your shop is installed in catalog/ then you will find it within the catalog folder..

If your is installed in shop/ then you will find the it within the shop folder...

and so on....

@@batchelor007

Using your hosting account file manager or your FTP client, you should be able to upload the files to the /download directory. If you are getting a message stating the directory cannot be written to, then check to ensure the permissions are set to 644 or above. (linux hosting, if you are using Windows hosting......good luck...lol....no actually, ask your hosting provider to set the proper permissions if you are using Windows hosting)

Chris