• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Download Feature

bkellum

I am having a problem with this feature I am trying to add these but the options aren't showing up in the product detail page. Mine is set like this in the Product Attributes page Option Name: Download Option Values: Personal Use Only, AS IS, or End-Use. But the dropdown box for the download selection doesn't show up on the page at all. Can some one help me.

I am getting queasy trying to figure out why these options aren't showing up on the product details page. :blink:

I have read most of the posts in the forum, and am still having the same difficulty.

I have followed the steps indicated by Bill Kellium, and just in case, I am trying with the "unreal.zip" file.

Since I really do not know what I am doing, I would like to ask the following: once I get through the ordering and payment phases, should I be getting a new page, or an email with the link for the download? Or does that only happen when the payment comes through. (I have set up a price of 0.0€ hoping that I could side-step this part of the issue).

In the product options I have Download (in Spanish) and the value "Yes" in English for now.

What I am getting currently is an email saying that the product will be sent when the payment is approved. How will that work in the future (does the system wait for a confirmation from the credit card company or PayPal, for example). What happens if I want to offer a free download of a product as part of a special?

Thanks for any help. I have dedicated many hours to this.

Jams777

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All, My problem is that I can't find a way to get the system to automatically send my customer an email with a link that will take him to a page on the site where he can download the file he bought. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine except for this notification issue. Once the payment is processed, the customer gets an email from the system, but the page he is taken to on the site doesn't have a download link available. When I check the status of the order in admin, I find that it is "pending." If I change the status to "allow download", the system sends out another email to the customer, and this time the page he is linked to has what he needs. The download works fine. So . . . I have set the default status to "allow download" in admin/localizations, but still no joy. The completed order remain in "pending" status until I manually go in and change it. To say the least, this doesn't work for me.

Any help would be extremely well received. Thanks.

Jim Burke

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused. Where should I be seeing the download link if I choose a downloadable product in my cart?

I am needing to make it so a customer must create their account (or login if they already have one) in order to download our catalog. I also want to allow them to add the catalog to their cart if they want a printed version rather than electronic. So - I have created a product for the catalog and then created two options: one being "Download File" and the other being "Mail Me One". I have the file name (and I even changed it from a PDF to a ZIP file) on the "Download File" option and I have nothing entered for file name on the Mail Me One option.

I have tried many times - I have even completely deleted the entire product from both the attributes section and the catalog and re-created it from scratch and still - I have no idea where I should be seeing a download link? I go through the order process as normal, as though I have a product needing to be mailed to me. I never see a download link nor do I get one emailed to me.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

~Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill

This is a vaguely related issue and you seem very knowledgeable on the subject so I hope you don't mind me posting here.

I have my site set up and everything functioning perfectly downloads wise, I'm using Alex's Super Downloads contribution and all is cool. I've recently set up a Brazilian version of the site on the same server, same look etc just different language and pricing. I have 10,000 plus downloadable mp3's on my main site and I want to keep all of the product in one place (on the main site) and access the downloads from there. I've tried putting in direct paths to the folders in my Configure files and nothing sems to be working. I've tried 1000's of combinations of paths and I still keep getting the "No downloads folder" error message.

Do you know if what I'm trying to do is possible?? Do you have any ideas from the top of your head how I can do this??

Please let me know if you need me to post any of my php here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Terry

Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused. Where should I be seeing the download link if I choose a downloadable product in my cart?

I am needing to make it so a customer must create their account (or login if they already have one) in order to download our catalog. I also want to allow them to add the catalog to their cart if they want a printed version rather than electronic. So - I have created a product for the catalog and then created two options: one being "Download File" and the other being "Mail Me One". I have the file name (and I even changed it from a PDF to a ZIP file) on the "Download File" option and I have nothing entered for file name on the Mail Me One option.

I have tried many times - I have even completely deleted the entire product from both the attributes section and the catalog and re-created it from scratch and still - I have no idea where I should be seeing a download link? I go through the order process as normal, as though I have a product needing to be mailed to me. I never see a download link nor do I get one emailed to me.

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Tracy,

If you follow my guide at the begining of this thread it should get you on your way. The actual link will not show up until the payment has been confirmed so you may need to look there for the payment status.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi Bill

This is a vaguely related issue and you seem very knowledgeable on the subject so I hope you don't mind me posting here.

I have my site set up and everything functioning perfectly downloads wise, I'm using Alex's Super Downloads contribution and all is cool. I've recently set up a Brazilian version of the site on the same server, same look etc just different language and pricing. I have 10,000 plus downloadable mp3's on my main site and I want to keep all of the product in one place (on the main site) and access the downloads from there. I've tried putting in direct paths to the folders in my Configure files and nothing sems to be working. I've tried 1000's of combinations of paths and I still keep getting the "No downloads folder" error message.

Do you know if what I'm trying to do is possible?? Do you have any ideas from the top of your head how I can do this??

Please let me know if you need me to post any of my php here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Terry

Have you considered modifying your download folder in the configure.php files?

You would need to change it to something as so:

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', '/some/dir/download/');

That should work for you. If not, you may need to turn on "Download by Redirect"

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', '/some/dir/download/');

That should work for you. If not, you may need to turn on "Download by Redirect"

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the multiple posting...They came as an afterthought after addrressing you directly. I tried putting as many direct path combinations to the folder none of which semed to work. I'll give the download by redirect a go. Thanks for the tip - I'll let you know how it goes.

<?php
 define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.theelectric-underground.com');
 define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://www.theelectric-underground.com');
 define('ENABLE_SSL', false);
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.theelectric-underground.com/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.theelectric-underground.com/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
 define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
 define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
 define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
 define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
 define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
 define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
 define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/pub/');
 define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/theelec/public_html/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/download/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC',  '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/pub/');

Thanks again for your time

Terry

Thanks! I ended up downloading a contribution for downloads and a contribution for free orders so they don't require payment info. This way, people could download our catalog free of charge through the shopping cart :)

Tracy,

If you follow my guide at the begining of this thread it should get you on your way. The actual link will not show up until the payment has been confirmed so you may need to look there for the payment status.

~Tracy

For those experiencing problems using the download feature in osCommerce.
  1. Enable downloads in the admin/configure/downloads section of your store,
  2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)
  3. Create a products page as you would normally for any product you sell
  4. Go to admin/catalog/product attributes page. Under "Product Options", create a new option called "Download" or something that you and your customer will recognize.
  5. In the same Product Attributes page, create a Option Value of "YEs" or "Only" or whatever.
  6. Still in the Product Attributes page, at the bottom of the page, you will find a drop down menu of each of your products. Find the product that you wish to offer as a download and select it.
  7. Under the Option Name, choose "Download" or whatever you used in step 4 above.
  8. Under Option Value, choose "yes" or whatever you used in step 5 above.
  9. Set your price for the product or leave blank.
  10. Skip the Prefix section.
  11. Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.
  12. Set the number of days the purchased download will be available to your customer.
  13. Set the maximum amount of downloads tries you wish to grant to your customer. You should at the very least give your customer 2 tries, in case something happens to thier connection.
  14. Finally, click the "insert" button at the far right.
  15. Your product is now available for download.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Bill Kellum

I also wanted to add that you can not have a - in the name of your zip file either. For example: sm-123211.zip. As soon as i figured that out it worked perfectly! Thanks for everyones help!

Hi Bill

Ok, we're halfway there (I think!) it now seems to be recognising the downloads folder (well at least it isn't telling me that it doesn't exist).

Unfortunately the download link isn't appearing, I think it may still be a "path" issue but I can't for the life of me figure it out. Below is the code for my cat/inc/config file on the brazilian site and the urls for both the main site and the brazilian site. If you get time to have a look and point out any glaring errors it would be much appreciated:

Main site: www.theelectric-underground.com/catalog/default.php

Brazil site: www.theelectric-underground.com/teu/catalog/default.php

<?php
 define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.theelectric-underground.com');
 define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://www.theelectric-underground.com');
 define('ENABLE_SSL', false);
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.theelectric-underground.com/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.theelectric-underground.com/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
 define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
 define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
 define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');
 define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
 define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
 define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
 define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/pub/');
 define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/theelec/public_html/teu/catalog/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/download/');
 define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC',  '/home/theelec/public_html/catalog/pub/');

Thanks again for your time

Terry

Hi Bill...Anyone??

Sorry for the bump butI'm really pulling my hair out over this one. There HAS to be a way of doing this. If I have to store my mp3's in two places on the same server I'l have to pay for another terrabyte of storage which is something I really can't afford to do.

Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

• 1 month later...
For those experiencing problems using the download feature in osCommerce.
  1. Enable downloads in the admin/configure/downloads section of your store,
  2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)
  3. Create a products page as you would normally for any product you sell
  4. Go to admin/catalog/product attributes page. Under "Product Options", create a new option called "Download" or something that you and your customer will recognize.
  5. In the same Product Attributes page, create a Option Value of "YEs" or "Only" or whatever.
  6. Still in the Product Attributes page, at the bottom of the page, you will find a drop down menu of each of your products. Find the product that you wish to offer as a download and select it.
  7. Under the Option Name, choose "Download" or whatever you used in step 4 above.
  8. Under Option Value, choose "yes" or whatever you used in step 5 above.
  9. Set your price for the product or leave blank.
  10. Skip the Prefix section.
  11. Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.
  12. Set the number of days the purchased download will be available to your customer.
  13. Set the maximum amount of downloads tries you wish to grant to your customer. You should at the very least give your customer 2 tries, in case something happens to thier connection.
  14. Finally, click the "insert" button at the far right.
  15. Your product is now available for download.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Bill Kellum

Hi Bill and others,

After all, I did and read all 9 pages and other "google" results with no answer and solution yet.I know that there are so many others that leave the problem but didn't solve.Please follow me to get a solution. After debugging so many times "checkout_process.php" , "download.php" and "order.php" I noticed that the problem is order attributes and download tables wasn't fill and are empty. order->product['attributes'] is null. I've so wondered that why in the order.php lines:

-----------------------------------------------------------

$subindex = 0;

$attributes_query = tep_db_query("select products_options, products_options_values, options_values_price, price_prefix from " . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " where orders_id = '" . (int)$order_id . "' and orders_products_id = '" . (int)$orders_products['orders_products_id'] . "'");

------------------------------------------------------------

a query executed for ORDERS_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES! when this table should fill in checkout_process.php after running these lines !

any way maybe my hints start a new way to solve my and others problem.My problem technically is that no insert for order tables(attributes and download), that I believe a key point for why no download link appears.

Please help and follow

Regards

Hi,

Yes I have checked Bills great format list above many times and yet i still cannot get anything but a blank white page after the sales goes through.

I get the Download link okay in MY Account but when I clisk on it, I get the white page.

I have the correct .zip in the download dir and permissions as suggested.

I have tried False and True for redirect in admin and changed permissions from 777 to 755 and back.

I have trawled all the forums and read and read but still bo go!! Git to something I just can't see.

All help appreciated. 4 days now trying!!

oz

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been most helpful - thanks. I'm in the early stages of setting up a download only shop.

I am very new here, so I think I have missed something obvious...

I have got a product that is downloadable but it has no price!

I have tried to give it a price in 'Product Attributes' and catalog > products > Products Price.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

I have this working all the way through to a download link .... when I download it I just get a corrupt zip even through the original zip file in by downloads directory is fine. Help!

A couple of things could be happening here....

1. You may need to change to a more stable zip program that produces zip files for the masses
  2. Your host may have something to do with the corrupted files (rare)
  3. Your FTP settings or FTP software may be the problem

Try the suggestion in this thread regarding using the stock unreal.zip file that comes with osC to rule out any settings within your osC files. If this works, then we know it may be one of the 3 issues above.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

A couple of things could be happening here....

1. You may need to change to a more stable zip program that produces zip files for the masses
  2. Your host may have something to do with the corrupted files (rare)
  3. Your FTP settings or FTP software may be the problem

Try the suggestion in this thread regarding using the stock unreal.zip file that comes with osC to rule out any settings within your osC files. If this works, then we know it may be one of the 3 issues above.

Hope this helped,

Hmmm.... interesting. Your post did help.

I tried the process again.

This time I bought a different zip file (made with winzip) and the unreal.zip file supplied with oscommerce. Each file became corrupted. When I go back to the server with FTP and check them manually they are fine. whatzatabout? Is my host doing something nasty? Both files only download as 1kb files.

Edited by Jon Burdon

Hi,

So your zip on your desktop is okay but when you download it from your server, it is corrupt.. Is that correct?

If so, maybe you have uploaded it incorrectly. Did you choose Auto, Binary or Ascii to upload it. If you like try all three and see what happens. But delete what you have on server each time so it is definatley a fresh upload you are downloading.

Give that a go and get back.

Good luck

ozstar

• 1 month later...

In your above example you have some like this:

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/sounkel6/public_html/catalog/');

I've had several hosting accounts, all with different types of "paths". When I open up the root of my files in an FTP session I have a path of: /www/www/catalog/ in my Remote Site path. That is what I put in the above define statement, but now I have to question if that is the "exact" path.

Where did you get the password from. I don't have a password there. I have a domain name instead of password. But i am not able to get a download link. So i guess i should put there a password. But what kind of and where should i get the password from? Thanks

Edited by medved

• 1 month later...

Bill,

Can you tell me what this error means at least?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_get_configuration_key_value() in /home/mpmorg/public_html/shop_dev/admin/orders.php on line 56

I get this when I change the order status through the admin/customer/orders

It is my only clue to why downloads won't work for me!

Here's what happened to me: I stumbled around the configuration page until I got to ORDERS STATUS. When I edited each status (Pending, Processing, etc) I noticed that PENDING (which is my default for credit card payments) was checked NOT to allow downloads and the others were. So I just checked ALLOW DOWNLOADS and it worked! Problem with THAT, however, is that the customewr can download before payment is actually made.

Arghhhhhh...Halfway there and thought i had cracked it after reading all the way through this forum.... :-(

My customers can pay by paypal ok, but if a direct payment for music downloads is used by credit card, they get this error; (must emphasize, paying by paypal gets the download link)

1146 - Table 'dropbeat_alpha.TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES_DOWNLOAD_GROUPS_FILES' doesn't exist

select download_group_filename from TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES_DOWNLOAD_GROUPS_FILES where download_group_id = '2'

[TEP STOP]

Anyone any ideas please....

Edited by thian