• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Download Feature

bkellum

Uploading files to the download folder via http in admin will lead to possible security issue. It's better only to upload files via FTP.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Uploading files to the download folder via http in admin will lead to possible security issue. It's better only to upload files via FTP.

You're right, it is better for security to use FTP. But with SSL some people may want to accept the small security risk.

@Alex, do you think it is worthwhile for me to write a contribution for doing this?

I think it will help the store administrator a lot if the upload is part of the product attributes section. The store administrator only has to browse for the file at the same time as filling out the usual product attributes, so the job is much faster and easier.

I welcome your opinions.

Well, I did think of including this feature (uploading files via admin) in the Super Download Shop contribution, but decided not to. If you think it worth the effort, of course you can write a contribution to do the job. As you said, it will be much easier to create downloads by browsing files in products attributes page.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Well, I did think of including this feature (uploading files via admin) in the Super Download Shop contribution, but decided not to. If you think it worth the effort, of course you can write a contribution to do the job. As you said, it will be much easier to create downloads by browsing files in products attributes page.

Alex, I just looked at your Super Download Shop contribution and it looks great! I use Pending Order Downloads contribution but I would like to try out your Super Download Shop contribution. Do you think I should try to add the "uploading files via admin" feature to the Super Download Shop contribution, or do you think it will be better as a stand-alone contribution? I think stand-alone is better - ? Where should I post for advice on what features people want from the "upload file to admin"? I haven't created a contribution before, and I am new to osCommerce.

• 2 weeks later...
hello...i would like to ask something...what about paypal?

i mean i want when a person pay the amount in paypal then to take a link to download the product, should i follow the same steps?

thanks a lot

I offer PayPal as a payment option for downloads with no issues using the steps mentioned in this thread.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

what you mean you offer?

sorry i didnt understand

Hello friend...sorry to confuse you regarding PayPal. What I meant is that PayPal is set as one of my payment options for my downloadable products. With that said, I do not have any issues using PayPal in that way. :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hello friend...sorry to confuse you regarding PayPal. What I meant is that PayPal is set as one of my payment options for my downloadable products. With that said, I do not have any issues using PayPal in that way. :thumbsup:

i again got confused, i am really sorry man but i cant understand you, maybe my english are bad...

so my question again is, should i follow the steps you said to set up the download option for paypal?

thanks a lot

• 3 weeks later...
i again got confused, i am really sorry man but i cant understand you, maybe my english are bad...

so my question again is, should i follow the steps you said to set up the download option for paypal?

thanks a lot

Yes

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone... Hope someone take a look here.

My store offers products downloadable for sale. Now, the Attributes seems to be wel configured. All buy/payment and change of status procceses seems to be good too. I think all this is working fine because the problem comes just after clicking the link for download product (and beside the link appears the correct file size). I get an 404 Error "File not found", and the browsers stops in an ulr like this: "http://mydomain.com/download/.oxupwwiomzjovfrzrgch" where ".oxupwwiomzjovfrzrgch" changes on every page loads.

As I can see, my config.php is well configured because the link is pointing to the correct folder, but I have no idea WTH is "/.oxupwwiomzjovfrzrgch" and why not find the file.

PLEASE THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO MAKE IT WORK, I HOPE SOMEONE HELP ME.

Sorry about my bad english.

For those experiencing problems using the download feature in osCommerce.
  1. Enable downloads in the admin/configure/downloads section of your store,
  2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)
  3. Create a products page as you would normally for any product you sell
  4. Go to admin/catalog/product attributes page. Under "Product Options", create a new option called "Download" or something that you and your customer will recognize.
  5. In the same Product Attributes page, create a Option Value of "YEs" or "Only" or whatever.
  6. Still in the Product Attributes page, at the bottom of the page, you will find a drop down menu of each of your products. Find the product that you wish to offer as a download and select it.
  7. Under the Option Name, choose "Download" or whatever you used in step 4 above.
  8. Under Option Value, choose "yes" or whatever you used in step 5 above.
  9. Set your price for the product or leave blank.
  10. Skip the Prefix section.
  11. Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.
  12. Set the number of days the purchased download will be available to your customer.
  13. Set the maximum amount of downloads tries you wish to grant to your customer. You should at the very least give your customer 2 tries, in case something happens to thier connection.
  14. Finally, click the "insert" button at the far right.
  15. Your product is now available for download.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Bill Kellum

Quick question what if i dont want the products on my server can i place all my products onto another server and then config where when they purchase the pruduct, when they complete the process when they get the download link it automatically start downloading from that server... pls help cause i dont have that much space on my server lmao

• 2 weeks later...

bkellum, I got some questions I would like to ask.

First, I must thank you for your help. I reinstalled the whole script and followed every step with the file "unreal.zip".

1. Do you must type "download" and "yes" , with small letters and english?

2. How can I change the location of the download folder. Even if it's on another server.

bkellum, I got some questions I would like to ask.

2. How can I change the location of the download folder. Even if it's on another server.

Check out this link for details on how to do this. You will need to think about security of your download files since they will no longer be protected under the osCommerce protected folder any longer:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=254138

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Guys

I want to be able to let my clients download free musics on my site. Is there a way to do it. i tried free payment modules but it dont work. is there anyway to use paypal ipn process to let users download music if total is 0. or make a if statement on paypal module if the total is 0 skip the payment and change the order status to 11 Download Available.

Or other recommendations will be appritiated.

Many Many Thanks in Advanced

3 issues -

1 - I can't get the product to display the actual download link?

2 - Also, even though I have COD enabled for the users trying to obtain the free product, the COD option won't display either?

Here is the cart: http://videostreamusa.com/gammet/index.php/cPath/26

with the free product.

3 - What I want to offer is a link to a video stream, not a downloadable file.

I tested it with a gif as the file, just to see if the link would show up, but it won't.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

where exactly do you do this part????

Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.

where exactly do you do this part????

Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.

In your store's admin/catalog/Products Attributes section, you will see a screen similar to this:

filename.png

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

For those experiencing problems using the download feature in osCommerce.
  1. Enable downloads in the admin/configure/downloads section of your store,
  2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)
  3. Create a products page as you would normally for any product you sell
  4. Go to admin/catalog/product attributes page. Under "Product Options", create a new option called "Download" or something that you and your customer will recognize.
  5. In the same Product Attributes page, create a Option Value of "YEs" or "Only" or whatever.
  6. Still in the Product Attributes page, at the bottom of the page, you will find a drop down menu of each of your products. Find the product that you wish to offer as a download and select it.
  7. Under the Option Name, choose "Download" or whatever you used in step 4 above.
  8. Under Option Value, choose "yes" or whatever you used in step 5 above.
  9. Set your price for the product or leave blank.
  10. Skip the Prefix section.
  11. Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.
  12. Set the number of days the purchased download will be available to your customer.
  13. Set the maximum amount of downloads tries you wish to grant to your customer. You should at the very least give your customer 2 tries, in case something happens to thier connection.
  14. Finally, click the "insert" button at the far right.
  15. Your product is now available for download.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Bill Kellum

It doesnt't work for me ... no link ...

Could you help me ?

It doesnt't work for me ... no link ...

Could you help me ?

Try deleting the product and starting from the begining. This has solved the "no link" problem for many who have tried the above and still no luck.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Try deleting the product and starting from the begining. This has solved the "no link" problem for many who have tried the above and still no luck.

Instead of a zip extention. i've put another extention ... Is that a problem ?

Thanks