• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce Download Feature

bkellum

Kevin, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at this. I'll try and help you out...

You do need the Download/Yes set in the Product Attributes page along with all of the other information in that part as well. You do not need to delete what you have done but I suggest that you go to the product attributes page, at the bottom of the page scroll through your products available to select the one you want to set for download. Click the "Edit" button on the right. Make the neccessary changes so that the "option name" is set to "download" and that the "option value" is set to "yes". Be sure the file name is correct and then click on the update button.

If you continue to have problems, osC has a "dummy" file download setup called unreal tournament (unreal.zip). Use this file as a template to go by and let me know if the link shows up for this file or not. If you have not changed your download folder, the unreal.zip should be in there.

Starting over on the download items worked Bill. Thanks! Must be something about building them with the wrong setting that prevented it from working if the setting were corrected.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Starting over on the download items worked Bill. Thanks! Must be something about building them with the wrong setting that prevented it from working if the setting were corrected.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Good Deal Kevin! :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi...

I'm wondering if someone on this thread can help me.

Every time I try to test the osCommerce download function, it appends the filename of the download file with ".HTML".

When I open the html file, it says this:

Warning: mkdir(/home/myusername/public_html/store/pub/.kwhwzujqfmmeqnmjgb) [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /home/myusername/public_html/store/download.php on line 91

Warning: symlink() [function.symlink]: No such file or directory in /home/myusername/public_html/store/download.php on line 92

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/myusername/public_html/store/download.php:91) in /home/myusername/public_html/store/includes/functions/general.php on line 29

I really have no idea what this means... it's been years since I tinkered with osCommerce.

For what it's worth, in download.php on line 91 it says:

mkdir(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC . $tempdir, 0777);

and on line 92 it says:

symlink(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD . $downloads['orders_products_filename'], DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC . $tempdir . '/' . $downloads['orders_products_filename']);

and on general.php on line 29 it says:

header('Location: ' . $url);

Does anyone have any easy ideas?? Please??

Cheers.

OZ

Hi,

I posted this in a new thread, but haven't got any help, so now I try in this one:

We've just opened our new webshop and want to make use of the download feature. For a number of reasons we would prefer to store our mp3's on a different server. Is it possible to use the OSC dowload option if a different IP address is used instead of the default folder (catalog/downloads)? And if so, does it take a lot of php programming? Thanks in advance for any help on this,

Jens

• 3 weeks later...

Same here - I tried adjusting the Product Attributes on an existing item and it didn't work, but setting [Download|yes] on a new item worked great! :rolleyes:

Same here - I tried adjusting the Product Attributes on an existing item and it didn't work, but setting [Download|yes] on a new item worked great! :rolleyes:

With my issue I was not able to get the download to work until I deleted all of the items out there that would not download properly. Once I did that and added a new item (with the new settings) it worked fine. It was like the system was treating all of the items the same as the first one I entered, even though when I did that the settings in the config were right for later items.

Hope this helps.

- Kevin

Hi...

I'm wondering if someone on this thread can help me.

Every time I try to test the osCommerce download function, it appends the filename of the download file with ".HTML".

Does anyone have any easy ideas?? Please??

Cheers.

OZ

OZ, did you check the permission settings for your "Pub" and "Download" folders?

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi,

I posted this in a new thread, but haven't got any help, so now I try in this one:

We've just opened our new webshop and want to make use of the download feature. For a number of reasons we would prefer to store our mp3's on a different server. Is it possible to use the OSC dowload option if a different IP address is used instead of the default folder (catalog/downloads)? And if so, does it take a lot of php programming? Thanks in advance for any help on this,

Jens

It is possible to store your download files outside, but it can be very complicated if you want it to be secured.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Can you add subfolders to the Downloads folder and just add the path to the beginning of the file name? This would help as I've got hundreds of downloadable files and would like to be able to organize them within the Downloads folder. Thanks

If you don't use download by redirect, you can store files in subfolders. However, if you want to use download by redirect and to store files in subfolders, you need my super download shop contribution. (click on the link in my signature line to check it out)

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

I managed to get the links to work but.... the downloaded file is only 1k. I checked and my zip files are properly uploaded.

Now, some mentioned the PUB folder. I have one but it's empty. I read that it should have an .htaccess file in it. Maybe that's my problem. How do I create this file and what should be in it? or can someone email it to me?

Hello all

I managed to get the links to work but.... the downloaded file is only 1k. I checked and my zip files are properly uploaded.

Now, some mentioned the PUB folder. I have one but it's empty. I read that it should have an .htaccess file in it. Maybe that's my problem. How do I create this file and what should be in it? or can someone email it to me?

Just make sure your PUB folder permission settings are correct. Hint: match the settings of your Images folder.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Just make sure your PUB folder permission settings are correct. Hint: match the settings of your Images folder.

My PUB and IMAGE folders are 777, and my download folder is 755 like in the instructions.

I still only get a 1k file. Can you help?

My PUB and IMAGE folders are 777, and my download folder is 755 like in the instructions.

I still only get a 1k file. Can you help?

It seems to me that you didn't use 'download by redirect', your pub folder has nothing to do with your problem.

What is the size of your download file? How long it takes to abort the download with 1k done? Did you enabled gzip compression in admin?

It seems to me that you didn't use 'download by redirect', your pub folder has nothing to do with your problem.

What is the size of your download file? How long it takes to abort the download with 1k done? Did you enabled gzip compression in admin?

Both Enable download and Download by redirect are at TRUE.

The files are between 2 and 3 MB. It takes about 1 second to download the file (hence the 1 k size). No, Gzip isn't enabled. I just tried it with enabled TRUE and that only got me a blank page, not even a download box. so I put it back to false.

What's next?

Since you enabled download by redirect, but you got the pub folder empty and the download failed, you need to check the accessibility of your pub folder. But first, what server are you hosting on? Linux or Windows?

Since you enabled download by redirect, but you got the pub folder empty and the download failed, you need to check the accessibility of your pub folder. But first, what server are you hosting on? Linux or Windows?

The database is on Linux.

The database is on Linux.

What about your php and apache? Are they on Linux too?

What about your php and apache? Are they on Linux too?

This is too advanced for me.... is this really necessary to fix my problem. My server actually offers OSCommerce for free.

Both Enable download and Download by redirect are at TRUE.

The files are between 2 and 3 MB. It takes about 1 second to download the file (hence the 1 k size). No, Gzip isn't enabled. I just tried it with enabled TRUE and that only got me a blank page, not even a download box. so I put it back to false.

What's next?

Yanik, I'm curious as to why you got a blank page using GZip. This usually happens when you have a conflicting contribution installed on your store (which may be another clue to fixing your download problem). What other contributions do you have installed that have anything to do with downloads or payment processing?

Alex was correct in suggesting you check your download redirect settings since that is what is usually the culprit for the 1k download size.

Under Download Options in the Configuration section of OSCommerce, set the Download by Redirect to FALSE.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

• 2 weeks later...
Yanik, I'm curious as to why you got a blank page using GZip. This usually happens when you have a conflicting contribution installed on your store (which may be another clue to fixing your download problem). What other contributions do you have installed that have anything to do with downloads or payment processing?

Alex was correct in suggesting you check your download redirect settings since that is what is usually the culprit for the 1k download size.

Hi Bill

Been away all week....

The only contribution I added is the PayPal IPN module.

In the mean time, I deleted all my downloadable products and re-inserted them and the 1k bug is still there. <_<

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Yanik

Hi, Going back to the original posting, I receive the following when I insert a product attribute:

1264 - Out of range value adjusted for column 'products_attributes_id' at row 1

insert into products_attributes values ('', '28', '6', '14', '19.99', '+')

[TEP STOP]

I managed to track down a bug report and followed the advice of 3dwdnet which resulted in the problem had by coatimundi. The final posting doesn't clarify things any further for me, and the thread has been closed due to spam. Does anyone have any advice as to the next step?

Many thanks,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
For those experiencing problems using the download feature in osCommerce.
  1. Enable downloads in the admin/configure/downloads section of your store,
  2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)
  3. Create a products page as you would normally for any product you sell
  4. Go to admin/catalog/product attributes page. Under "Product Options", create a new option called "Download" or something that you and your customer will recognize.
  5. In the same Product Attributes page, create a Option Value of "YEs" or "Only" or whatever.
  6. Still in the Product Attributes page, at the bottom of the page, you will find a drop down menu of each of your products. Find the product that you wish to offer as a download and select it.
  7. Under the Option Name, choose "Download" or whatever you used in step 4 above.
  8. Under Option Value, choose "yes" or whatever you used in step 5 above.
  9. Set your price for the product or leave blank.
  10. Skip the Prefix section.
  11. Type in the exact name of the download file as it is saved in your catalog/downloads folder as you did in step 2 above. Remember, no spaces in the filename and include the .zip extention.
  12. Set the number of days the purchased download will be available to your customer.
  13. Set the maximum amount of downloads tries you wish to grant to your customer. You should at the very least give your customer 2 tries, in case something happens to thier connection.
  14. Finally, click the "insert" button at the far right.
  15. Your product is now available for download.

:thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Bill Kellum

Thank a lot

Hi, Going back to the original posting, I receive the following when I insert a product attribute:

1264 - Out of range value adjusted for column 'products_attributes_id' at row 1

insert into products_attributes values ('', '28', '6', '14', '19.99', '+')

[TEP STOP]

I managed to track down a bug report and followed the advice of 3dwdnet which resulted in the problem had by coatimundi. The final posting doesn't clarify things any further for me, and the thread has been closed due to spam. Does anyone have any advice as to the next step?

Many thanks,

Ryan

I solved the problem by sending an arbitrary value to the delivery_address_format since I don't use delivery addresses.

• 2 weeks later...
2. Upload your product to the cataloag/downloads folder as a zip file (using no spaces in the name)

Can this be done through the administration panel (or is there a contribution to do this?). I would prefer that the store editor doesn't have to use an FTP client.