• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Never used OSCommerce and need some help

brandonnistor

Hey all. Hoping that I can get some help getting used to OSCommerce. I am using cPanel and when I installed the OSCommerce I get this error message:

Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.

If someone could help me with this, that would be great! Thank you in advance.

Brandon

The cPanel applet had a link that just said install and I clicked on that. It pretty much did everything else for me. I am super new to building websites and just started this whole thing on Sunday. And I don't know what you mean by register globals. Just tell me what information you guys need and I'll supply it. Thank you for your help in advance.

Brandon

The cPanel applet had a link that just said install and I clicked on that. It pretty much did everything else for me. I am super new to building websites and just started this whole thing on Sunday. And I don't know what you mean by register globals. Just tell me what information you guys need and I'll supply it. Thank you for your help in advance.

Brandon

The programming code that osCommerce is written in assumes that your server (your hosting service's computer) knows what to do with a thing called a "register global" (it's a kind of variable). Some servers actually don't, though. And some do, but have been set by their administrators to act as though they don't.

You have two choices that I know of:

a ) get your hosting service to set the computer to handle "register globals"; most likely you'd want to talk to their technical support department about that; they may or may not be able to accomodate you; most likely...not

b ) apply a programming change to your copy of osCommerce that makes it unnecessary for your hosting service to deal with "register globals". Such changes are called "contributions" on this site (because they're contributed by other users). They're small changes (usually small) that you can make to your osCommerce files with an editor. Someone else has already figured out what needs to change and what the new text needs to look like. What you have to do is get in there with an editor and make the change. This is probably the best way to go with your current problem.

Yours in Service

Stephanie

Brandon

The best thing to do is to apply the register globals contribution. This makes osc work with register globals off. However you have to make every other modifaction you do later register globals "off"compliant which you might not want to do.

In the short term you can turn register globals on on your part of the server where you site is by adding this line to your .htaccess file located in your root.

php_flag register_globals 1

It is also possible to turn register_Globals on with a php.ini file in your root.

You can always apply the register globals off patch later.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Alright. I added php_flag register_globals 1 to the file. Now what does this do exactly? I am now able to login to the back office which is great. Thank you for that! What do I do from here now? Like, how do I incorporate it into my website? I am not only new to OSCommerce but websites as a whole. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for being helpful and hopefully you all will continue your support.

Brandon

Alright. I added php_flag register_globals 1 to the file. Now what does this do exactly? I am now able to login to the back office which is great. Thank you for that! What do I do from here now? Like, how do I incorporate it into my website? I am not only new to OSCommerce but websites as a whole. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for being helpful and hopefully you all will continue your support.

Brandon

How do you incorproate what into your site? I don't follow you.

To get up to speed I would recommend having a look at this thread

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/lofiversion/i...hp/t139426.html

It will give you some info on how osc works.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

I was wondering how do you get the OSCommerce to be what shows up when you type your website name? For example, mine is www.xtremeitems.com and it's just a basic template that I was going to edit. How do I get my OSCommerce to show up instead? Thank you for all the help!

Brandon

Ok. I got that part figured out all by myself. I didn't know that I had to get rid of my current index.html file. Now I just have to figure out how to change the theme of OSCommerce. Anybody know where I can go to learn this? Or if someone feels like making some money to help design it, that would be cool with me as well. Let me know. Thank you.

Brandon

I am having another problem with OSCommerce (go figure). When I click on Account it takes me to an error page:

The connection was interrupted

The connection to xtremeitems.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

But there is code in the account.php file. Anyone know why that is?

Brandon

Archived