• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My store v1.1

Hey guys!

So, phew... we've been up for a 3 months and I finally got around to taking care of some issues with our site, many of which I was notified by helpful members of the community (thank you very much!). I've made some changes and I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

http://www.janescloset.com

One of our biggest issue was the size of our pages, they were *massive*. After optimizing images and html/css text, the site is much improved. And then I updated my .htaccess file to take advantage of compressing my pages as well and now they are supafast! I'm not sure why I didn't do this from the getgo :(

We made some other changes which I found interesting because we ended up modifying our original design to look more like the standard issue oscommerce. The overall look of our site is still different, but we ended up going back to a 3 column layout and adding back in a bunch of stuff that the standard oscommerce store comes with. Also our original index page was a mysterious page with just our closet image and a silhouette, but SEO forces and user friendliness made us re-think this. So now our index page matches the template for our other pages. It still doesn't have the "what's new" stuff on the index page, which is something we're still trying to figure out where it would go without ruining the closet motif.

I'm hoping that despite going back to a more standard look-and-feel that we have retained a unique website.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. I now have 3 solid months of a real running store! Thanks guys!

Roy Rim

http://www.janescloset.com

My little contrib: Several Random Products

Ok, the site still looks really good, if i was you i would get rid of the nonsecure items on the login page that is a massive put off, i would change the hover over text colour to something other than dull grey?

Good luck

Really, really nice site. Great index page, great photos, great products (I guess), nice roll overs, nice pop-up image treatment, great organization, nice seo, nice header tags, etc.

But, for as nice as it is, it also looks too plain somehow (plain janes closet, ha, ha). I am guessing that the site is black and white with a flat background so that the products stand out. But, I think that this makes it look uninteresting. Obviously you know html and how to make things work - I'm not a designer and really don't know how to suggest changes, but it just needs something to make it pop more and provide a sophisticated appearance. Like maybe a more powerful and dramatic header, or a more firm definition of the left column so that it helps to frame the products, or a more clear definition of the product display space, or who knows what.

I don't want to be too critical because you have really done an incredible job with the site and I hope that you do well with it.

tony

Urk... that would be the google urchin javascript..., that snuck in there somehow :) Thanks for letting me know!

Ok, the site still looks really good, if i was you i would get rid of the nonsecure items on the login page that is a massive put off, i would change the hover over text colour to something other than dull grey?

Good luck

Actually we were going for that simplistic look. Only time will tell if it was the right decision :)

I can see what you're saying about the overall design. We didn't have left and right columns originally and they were kind of added over the last two months. We might have to do a complete re-design.

Thanks for the feedback, mucho appreciated!

Roy

Really, really nice site. Great index page, great photos, great products (I guess), nice roll overs, nice pop-up image treatment, great organization, nice seo, nice header tags, etc.

But, for as nice as it is, it also looks too plain somehow (plain janes closet, ha, ha). I am guessing that the site is black and white with a flat background so that the products stand out. But, I think that this makes it look uninteresting. Obviously you know html and how to make things work - I'm not a designer and really don't know how to suggest changes, but it just needs something to make it pop more and provide a sophisticated appearance. Like maybe a more powerful and dramatic header, or a more firm definition of the left column so that it helps to frame the products, or a more clear definition of the product display space, or who knows what.

I don't want to be too critical because you have really done an incredible job with the site and I hope that you do well with it.

tony

Really like this site, its fun, distinct I think the theme works nicely.

I always prefer a bit of padding at the top and bottom of sites so it sits within the background, personal preference I supose...

I like the fading images in the specials box, what did you use for that??

I used scriptaculous, my contrib actually takes advantage of it as well, however it needs to be updated with all the changes I made on my site. The js file is huge though, but I combined it into one. Next step is to figure out how to gzip it as well :)

Really like this site, its fun, distinct I think the theme works nicely.

I always prefer a bit of padding at the top and bottom of sites so it sits within the background, personal preference I supose...

I like the fading images in the specials box, what did you use for that??

I used scriptaculous, my contrib actually takes advantage of it as well, however it needs to be updated with all the changes I made on my site. The js file is huge though, but I combined it into one. Next step is to figure out how to gzip it as well :)

Cheerz,

I saw your contrib when looking for something like this, I was searching for something that did the specials and whats new info-boxes.

I have to confess I ripped your .js and was going to work it into the relevant php files myself :blush: :blush:

Ill have to have a look at your contrib first now I know its relevant!

One more question, your images are pointed to by a thumbs.php file (something like that), I assumed from this you were using one of the thumbnailer contribs, is this correct, or is this some bespoke work you have done??

Excellent work! It's always refreshing to find osCommerce designs that don't look like osCommerce. Very easy to navigate and attractive to where you want to click around. Compliments!

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

I added one of the auto-thumbnail mods. Hold on grabbing my mod though, I wanna update it with my latest changes. Or you can look at the code on my site and just use that ;)

Cheerz,

I saw your contrib when looking for something like this, I was searching for something that did the specials and whats new info-boxes.

I have to confess I ripped your .js and was going to work it into the relevant php files myself :blush: :blush:

Ill have to have a look at your contrib first now I know its relevant!

One more question, your images are pointed to by a thumbs.php file (something like that), I assumed from this you were using one of the thumbnailer contribs, is this correct, or is this some bespoke work you have done??

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work. You might consider changing the 'add to cart' button to something more in line with your header menu look. Same with the bottom bar menu - would round out the site. Great integration w/ flash.

Archived