• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Gadget Store

Lowey81

We have launched a new web design for our site to compliment our offline sales, please take a look and post feedback so we can change things pople don't like and keep things people do!

We have used osCommerce to keep costs down and have the back-end working fine (integrated with our online merchant etc) but just looking for people's thoughts on the design layout and how it could be improved?

Any contributions we should look at adding?

One we have looked at is the scrolling bestsellers list.

Thank for your time : UK Gadget Store

NO SSL certificate for login page etc

Nice look to your store, still looks a bit stock and busy. No SSL, you will need one so customers feel confident buying from you.

Maybe worth changing the background colour to a light blue, takes the glare off the eyes.

Generally its not a bad looking site, well done.

Adrian....

Nice look to your store, still looks a bit stock and busy. No SSL, you will need one so customers feel confident buying from you.

Maybe worth changing the background colour to a light blue, takes the glare off the eyes.

Generally its not a bad looking site, well done.

Adrian....

Thank you for your comments so far. Which SSL do you recommend, VeriSign?

Originally we changed the layout completely away from the stock layout but friends/family found it a little difficult to navigate and asked us why we hadn't made it easy to use like amazon etc.

We have tried to meet half way, keeping the header from the altered site and attempted to keep the box headers/layout. I agree that it still looks a bit OSC stock but not sure how to change the look without affecting the ease of use. Thank you for the colour tip (light blue).

What do you mean when you say it looks 'busy'? Should we remove some of the boxes or make adjustments to the header (or both)?

Thanks again, appreciate you both taking the time to review our site

Your store would look a lot better if it was in the centre of the page and not moved over to the left. I also think that your header image is too wide as the right column is not aligned to the right.

You still have some of the oscommerce cartoonish images on your information pages. It may look better without them.

You dont seem to have any meta info on your product pages. This surely is a must if you need seasrch engines to list and people to find you. There are contributions that will help you.

I do like the look and feel of your store. Its easy to navigate and use

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks to everyone who took time out to comment on our site. As a result of your much appreciated feedback we have made some adjustments:

• Adsense Removed
  • Fixed table width = correct positioning
  • Changed the blue to a lighter colour
  • Whole page made central

I hope this has helped to improve the site, please take another look and post more feedback if you wish: UK Gadget Store.

Please note some work is still to be done such as meta tags per product contribution and page footer but we are pleased with the new site. Much thanks go out to those who posted their thoughts previously.

Fast .. and I think that's what most osC stores lack

• 2 weeks later...

hey lowey

just found this whilst looking for ssl certs for my site, www.jaldijaldi.co.uk

http://www.ssl-certificates.com/home/

?14 for a $10,000 insured certificate. can't go wrong there surely. I know it probably isn't ideal for a highly active website but we only have 5 orders a day max!

you may have to get your host to install the cert for you as you will need a dedicated ip. mine charge $35

just thought i'd share the wealth :)

Its a lot more expensive, but on the authorize.net website there is a special deal for a COMODO SSL. http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchan...slcertificates/

Its more expensive; however, you get their hacker guardian service for free. My feelings torward ?hacker safe? logos have been mixed, but I do believe that if you display them at the right time they will boost consumer trust and raise your conversion rate. The right time to display them by the way is in the ?view cart contents? page and at the top of the checkout screen or at the bottom next to the ?checkout? button. Other than that, I wouldn?t keep the logo in too prominent of a place on your site as it would just add clutter.

The site looks nice by the way. I especially like the color scheme.

Cheers,

Victor

PS: The offer above is supposedly just for authorize.net customers so I don?t know if just anyone can take advantage of it.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

The fonts make no sense. The seriph font in your header is very nice and the arial in the info boxes is OK, but the Info Box titles need to be changed. Make them bold Arial or something to match the contents. Actually, now that I looked closer, some boxes have different fonts than others. Make them all uniform.

I would also make your header logo go back to the index page because you have no breadcrumb trail to follow and the Home in the categories box is not necessarily where someone would look.

The buttons are not quite the same shade of blue as the rest of the site. The top of the info boxes look nice, can you make buttons look like that?

Nice use of categories along the bottom and the specials box. It would be interesting to know how many times that product is purchased on an impulse. I would move that up and get rid of the reviews.

The click to enlarge doesn't. It looks like you are not using thumbnails for your product images, so the popup is the same size as the product page image. It would be nice if it were bigger, and fit in the window. Even with the same size I had to scroll to view the entire image.

Follow your own security tip and install ssl

I will not repeat the comments above, I agree with them all Fonts are your biggest issue. The pop-up are not scaled properly. I would suggest light box to handle these. In additon on some item like humorous playing cards, and the kite kit I would suggest that you show the contents of the item. not just the packaging.

Jeff

Contributions I use: DynaMenus - Light Box - Best Sellers Content Box - Related Products 3.2 - UPS XML - Secure Admin Login - Vendor Locator - Graphical Borders.

• 4 months later...

The site has been active for a while now and it is offering a nice return to support our offline sales, however, the conversion ration is a little low from some online advertising we do. The adverising is 'trageted' so the people clicking through are searching (and finding) specific products using specific keywords.

Because we target our PPC advertising I would've expected a decent ROI, however, people just don't seem to be following through with a purchase for whatever reason. Our prices are competitive and we offer inexpensive postage. Any feedback is welcome, maybe there is something glaringly obvious wrong with the site/checkout procedure but none of us are able to see it.

General feedback/criticism also welcome . . . UKGadgetStore

When I click on a product your meta description displays above your header. When I refresh it goes away.

Maybe a code stuck in the wrong place?

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

"No matter where you go....There you are" - Buccaroo Bonsai

When I click on a product your meta description displays above your header. When I refresh it goes away.

Maybe a code stuck in the wrong place?

What browser are you using? This could explain the low conversion rate if people leave without even considering shopping with us.

I have tested the site without experiencing the same problems as you report with IE & Firefox, however, I use STS which I am having some problems with the header information being posted twice. As far as I was aware this wasn't causing too much problem except perhaps working against us for search engine rankings.

If you click on a page and view source you will notice the information posted twice (inc META tags). This may explain the problem but as yet I don't know how to fix it (apart from romoving the <head> details altogether.

Thank you for posting your feedback

I was using IE6 thru a proxy server. Don't know if that had anything to do with it but at home works fine with IE7, Safari, Opera, Firefox.

Noticed one other thing. Your FAQ link returns a 404 page not found.

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

"No matter where you go....There you are" - Buccaroo Bonsai

Craig,

Can you provide us with an example of a PPC keyphrase you are targeting? This would help me a great deal in analyzing your situation.

According to a 2007 report by marketing sherpa; the average conversion rate for PPC traffic is slightly over 4%. Do you know your conversion rate for ppc traffic?

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Craig,

Can you provide us with an example of a PPC keyphrase you are targeting? This would help me a great deal in analyzing your situation.

According to a 2007 report by marketing sherpa; the average conversion rate for PPC traffic is slightly over 4%. Do you know your conversion rate for ppc traffic?

An example keyword phrase is 'laser shock guns' or 'shock quiz'. These are very specific keyword phrases, but they do receive a fair number of daily impressions and a decent CTR however the conversion is less than 1%. I can't understand why because people who search and click on these adverts must be specifically looking for the items.

As you say 4% would be a decent return for these specific searches.

Thanks

An example keyword phrase is 'laser shock guns' or 'shock quiz'. These are very specific keyword phrases, but they do receive a fair number of daily impressions and a decent CTR however the conversion is less than 1%. I can't understand why because people who search and click on these adverts must be specifically looking for the items.

As you say 4% would be a decent return for these specific searches.

Thanks

Hey Craig,

Your landing page is not bad - I would expect a conversion rate higher than 1% for such targeted searches.

I can offer you a few suggestions on how to improve your landing page; but I feel like I am missing something.

Anyways, here are some suggestions. For your laser shock guns landing page; you need to 1) place the price so it is next to the 'add to cart button' 2)move the call to action above the fold right below the picture 3) demphasize the 'tell a friend' button 4) demphasize the 'reviews' button

Also, I would recommend getting a new button scheme (possibly orange color) that stands out more.

Here is a demo I frankensteined in photoshop for you:

landing-page2.jpg

Also, you may improve your quality score buy including the text of your ad on your landing page - not just the headline.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Okay, things are starting to become more clear. Your 'view cart contents' page also needs some serious work. What you have right now is just god awful. God awful I say.

For one, the text "Enter the quantities required and click update" is totally confusing and pointless.

But most importantly, you need to put your call to action above the fold:

Thats this nifty little section:

view-cart-contents.jpg

In fact, having the 'checkout' button above the fold is so important; many businesses notice an improvement in sales by inserting two checkout buttons on the 'view cart contents' page.

I suspect that your current 'view carts contents' page is dragging your sales down across the board. I haven't even looked at your checkout yet.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

Thank you for your advice Victor, much appreciated.

The points you raised are valid ones and I'm sure they will go some way towards raising our conversion ratio (you'll certainly be the first to hear about it if it does!).

I have made the changes suggested whilst adding a recent contribution. I still think there is something missing? I wouldn't have thought these small changes would have a huge affect but I may be wrong. I run some tracking on the site to see where people drop out (funneling).

It would appear that we have achieved a 3-4% conversion of vistors who actually start the checkout process, however this includes statistics of my visits (and others reading this forum etc who obviously won't actually want to buy anything).

Of the people who add products to their shopping cart we are seeing a 60-70% completion which isn't too bad. A very similar ratio was seen whilst we used Simple Checkout Contribution. If anything I actually prefer having payment and shipping details on separate pages.

Thanks again for your feedback, let me know what you think of the changes.

Archived