• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

customizing automated emails

aejeffor

This question is two fold.

One: where would I go to edit the automated emails that are sent to the customer.

Two: Can I turn off the order status change emails that are sent automatically to the customer when the order goes from pending, processing, delivered?

I do want the system to send out a confirmation of the order, however, I don't want it to send out emails everything the order status changes.

Is this possible, or is there a contribution that can help? I searchd everywhere and have found nothing.

Worst case scenario, Ill just edit the emails to make them more custom to my shop, but Id like to remove them if I could.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edwin

Hi Edwin,

you can stop the automated update emails being sent to the customer. In Admin Tool, under Customers, Orders, when you select edit - deselect the checkbox that says Notify Customer. Although I think it defaults to ticked each time you open that page.

I'm feeling lucky today......maybe someone will answer my post!

I do try and answer a simple post when I can just to give something back.

------------------------------------------------

PM me? - I'm not for hire

Yes, you can change the default to be No, instead of yes.

You will need to modify the corresponding field in the database.

Specifically, the field name is "customer notified". It is contained in the "order_status_history".

Edit that field to set the default value to 0, instead of 1.

Let me know if that works.

Amit

thanks for the tip, i have never noticed that there.

I wonder how I could set it up to default to No notification instead of yes?

ANy ideas?

One: where would I go to edit the automated emails that are sent to the customer.

goto /checkout_process.php

and just do a search for "// lets start with the email confirmation" without the quotes

and everything between that comment and the next one ("// send emails to other people") is what makes up the basic look and feel of the email. I would suggest backing up that file before changing anything though.

PS - This changes the email you receive and the email that the customer receives when an order is placed, I am assuming that this is the email you are talking about. I don't think there is an easy way to have separate emails for you and your customer

Hope that helps

goto /checkout_process.php

and just do a search for "// lets start with the email confirmation" without the quotes

and everything between that comment and the next one ("// send emails to other people") is what makes up the basic look and feel of the email. I would suggest backing up that file before changing anything though.

PS - This changes the email you receive and the email that the customer receives when an order is placed, I am assuming that this is the email you are talking about. I don't think there is an easy way to have separate emails for you and your customer

Hope that helps

Doh the edit button disappeared

EDIT from above post:

Scratch that last statment, I think you can change it so that the set of code, where it send emails to other people, change the variable from $email_order to somthing else like $email_order2 and then duplicate the above code between the start email and send emails to other and paste is right after the line

tep_mail($order->customer['firstname'] . ' ' . $order->customer['lastname'], $order->customer['email_address'], EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT, $email_order, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

then change all of the $email_order variables in that copied code to $email_order2 and remove that last line from the copied text (because this line sends the email to the customer

tep_mail($order->customer['firstname'] . ' ' . $order->customer['lastname'], $order->customer['email_address'], EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT, $email_order, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

thanks for the tip, i have never noticed that there.

I wonder how I could set it up to default to No notification instead of yes?

ANy ideas?

I think you would accomplish that by finding the following code in admin/orders.php:

<td class="main"><b><?php echo ENTRY_NOTIFY_CUSTOMER; ?></b> <?php echo tep_draw_checkbox_field('notify', '', true); ?></td>

and changing it to:

<td class="main"><b><?php echo ENTRY_NOTIFY_CUSTOMER; ?></b> <?php echo tep_draw_checkbox_field('notify', '', false); ?></td>

Archived