• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum problems

bkellum

Is anyone else experiencing very very slow page loads in the osCommerce forums? :'( It has gotten so bad this week that I gave up on responding to several posts because the page took so long to load. I know it's not on my end because I have ran the usual tests. :blink:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I'm so glad someone posted about this!

It's taking well over a minute for pages to load, if they load at all. I actually received an error on my screen over the weekend; something about 'heavy traffic volume' or something.

About to? I think it's had a major miocardial infarction!

Vger

Rhea, your amount of posts is staggering!!! I've learned a lot from many of your posts. Thanks for all of the support.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

yes - it's getting worse and worse and worse - i've even been getting sql connection errors here...

how and who?

i think the lonely email to Harald Ponce de Leon (webmaster link at bottom of page) is easy to overlook - but perhaps if we all start emailing him he'll begin to take notice - and hopfully do what he has to do or contact who he has to contact - or something...

Oh tut tut, We sit here complaining but how many of us support the community apart from vger? It does say that money gained through this channel of support will be used to upgrade the servers, and as osCommerce is free I don't think we have the right to complain apart from the sponsor?s of course, however now I have said this I have to go and become a community sponsor now, Dam :blush:

It seems that this forum has become a victim of its own success.

It seems that this forum has become a victim of its own success.

Whilst I totally agree with you I'd point out that according to the board:

Most users ever online was 2,010 on Mar 27 2006, 10:15 AM.

and that there were 653 user(s) active in the past 30 minutes.

It's dreadfully slow this morning :rolleyes:

one-click installation..

Dave's info

Oh tut tut, We sit here complaining but how many of us support the community apart from vger?

Hey,

I have spent hours answering questions here. I am not as knowledgeable as vger but I try to do my bit.

BTW if something is getting this much traffic the ad revenue should easily pay for the server.

Mike

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

yeah - lol - chris should turn his "tut tut" on what he hasn't learned yet ---

for him to approach this from a cash = service perspective

he should realize service = cash (including the forum)

the more trouble people have with osc that goes unresolved (because of forum frustrations) means

that less people will use it, and don't forget news travels fast -- the less people using it means less donations

as well he dosn't realize how much the forum itself reflects on the product - the first thing i did before deciding to use osc was check the forum (mainly to see the issues folks have with it)

even an hit and run poster is "contributing"

a lot of those who've posted here have already made "official" contributions (Vger is even a sponser) - but contributions/donations are needed in ALL forms - not only am i working on a few contributions for the community (none finished yet) myself, but also i started testing the alpha version and plan to give a lot of feedback (note: i couldn't afford the price to pay myself to do this ;) )

and for all i know i am the only one here who hasn't made a cash donation...

this also reflects very poorly on osc's hosting company - i don't know what kind of deal osc has with their hosting, but i assure you the forum acting buggy isn't good for it ---

some time ago (even before this forum started tossing up these sql errors) i asked the my hosting company if i was at risk for such errors with them - they assured me i was not and that i will not be at risk - never have i seen such at any of the site's i design - all of which i host with WhatHostingShould.Be - i'm extremely pleased with them - they pretty much go all out for me and each site i host with them - as well, every one else that i've turned on to them loves them - they're great...

this forum is a big part of the osc and what it has to offer -- any designer, be it site or software, wants/needs to have weaknesses pointed out to them - some even pay for such - so they can improve on what they do - so the bottom line is actually, this thread itself is a kind donation -- and the osc folks should address this weakness...

OS = "open source" = free. If we all felt compelled to make cash donations, then the name should be changed to "pleasedonatecommerce", istead of "osCommerce".

Let's not lose sight of the big picture. osCommerce is about nice, friendly people helping others out of the true goodness of their hearts. It's the one spot on the web where people do random acts of kindness, and help others out while gaining no benefit of their own -- only to be helped out by another who's not benefiting by offering their help.

Isn't this what OS-commerce is all about? It's what has made it great for years, and it's what will continue to make it great. Greed is the true root of all evil, and the day greediness inundates this forum is the day this forum substantially declines in value.

This issue that the forums has been having will only compel others -- who may or may not be doing their random acts of kindness while being strapped for time -- to use the forum less and less. Less and less good people will offer their help, and they'll do this less frequently. osCommerce will turn less "OS" to "pleasedonatecommerce", and to eventually "mustdonatecommerce".

Again, let's not lose sight on what makes osCommerce the great thing that it is -- great people helping other great people, and getting helped in return, for no benfit of their own. Donate if you wish, but don't feel compelled. Keep the forums streamlined and strong, and don't ever lose the true meaning of "OS" in osCommerce.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

OS = "open source" = free. If we all felt compelled to make cash donations, then the name should be changed to "pleasedonatecommerce", istead of "osCommerce".

Let's not lose sight of the big picture. osCommerce is about nice, friendly people helping others out of the true goodness of their hearts. It's the one spot on the web where people do random acts of kindness, and help others out while gaining no benefit of their own -- only to be helped out by another who's not benefiting by offering their help.

Isn't this what OS-commerce is all about? It's what has made it great for years, and it's what will continue to make it great. Greed is the true root of all evil, and the day greediness inundates this forum is the day this forum substantially declines in value.

This issue that the forums has been having will only compel others -- who may or may not be doing their random acts of kindness while being strapped for time -- to use the forum less and less. Less and less good people will offer their help, and they'll do this less frequently. osCommerce will turn less "OS" to "pleasedonatecommerce", and to eventually "mustdonatecommerce".

Again, let's not lose sight on what makes osCommerce the great thing that it is -- great people helping other great people, and getting helped in return, for no benfit of their own. Donate if you wish, but don't feel compelled. Keep the forums streamlined and strong, and don't ever lose the true meaning of "OS" in osCommerce.

Well put Jason,

In particular your coments about people helping other people. That is what makes Open Source wonderful.

Keep it positve everybody!!

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Thanks. I know that in the last week, since these problems started, I've posted less and less, because I can't post. So less people have been helped by me, and I'm sure less people have been helped by others.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Thanks. I know that in the last week, since these problems started, I've posted less and less, because I can't post. So less people have been helped by me, and I'm sure less people have been helped by others.
This is what has become an issue for me as well. I even stopped responding to PM's since it takes too long to open up. I have seen some (very minor) improvement this week and it has allowed me to respond to a few posts.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Well put Jason,

In particular your coments about people helping other people. That is what makes Open Source wonderful.

Keep it positve everybody!!

true, but sometimes the help is SOOOO good, you have saved yourself HOURS of work looking for a silly "fullstop" that the contrib missed, that i think its ok for them to make it easy for you to donate, its your choice, youre not forced or blocked.

tim

Archived