Jump to content
  • Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Safari 2.0.4 not seeing stylesheet


bill_s17

Recommended Posts

I'm having problems getting Safari to recognize the stylesheet at all. I've tried changing the link reference to the stylesheet to an entire URL, that didn't seem to work. The only success I've had is actually putting the individual stylesheet attributes into the HTML tag as a... style=""...tag. Such as <body style="background-image:URL(image.gif);"> for example.

 

I also tried putting the stylesheet with <style></style> tags on the index page itself and it still didn't recognize the classes. I'm baffled. Any ideas? Does it have anything to do with Doc type? I tried changing that to "Strict" and it didn't seem to affect it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try changing the stylesheet tag from

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

to

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/stylesheet.css">

 

To have a proper doctype you will need to change

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

to

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

 

There is a good article on doctypes here: http://alistapart.com/stories/doctype/

Do, or do not. There is no try.

 

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this problem occurring just on your osCommerce site, or do you see similar problems with other sites that use linked stylesheets?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

 

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there,

 

I have just seen this post and no one seems to have given a solution yet. I have had the same problem - my designer wasn't testing on a Mac!, so I fixed it myself. If you still have a problem, this is what I did.

 

I am not a web expert but looking at the CSS file there are a number of sloppy statements in the code eg. no space before {'s. I guess Safari is a bit fussy. Oddly enough Safari beta 3 was OK.

Anyway I simply opened the .css file with BBEdit and from the CSS tools palette used the FORMAT command. This simply reformats the code to W3C standards.

My site is now OK. Obviously you could hand edit the errors rather than use BBEdit if you know what you are doing.

 

Good luck,

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...