• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to install SSL on OSC: A Simple 1-2-3 Instruction

jpweber

Yes. You're almost there, okay? Here's what you have to do to includes/configure.php:

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '');

change to

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

Let me know when you're done; you should be all set.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. You're almost there, okay? Here's what you have to do to includes/configure.php:

change to

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

Let me know when you're done; you should be all set.

I did but it didn't work so i did it this way

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');

Now the path is ok but the site is not working with https. it works only with http.

ok it is workin, i don't know why but ok. just small problem: it is showing a pop up window saing that this page has secure and non-secure items. how can i fix this popup window please help.

ok it is workin, i don't know why but ok. just small problem: it is showing a pop up window saing that this page has secure and non-secure items. how can i fix this popup window please help.

I was just going to say ... it certainly appears to be working on my end.

The non-secure items popup warning (in Internet Explorer):

Somewhere on that page, you have an http:// external link. If I was a betting man, I'd say it's that flash banner you have in your header. That said ...

I'd go to your catalog/includes/header.php file and find out where that Flash coding is. It will look something similar to this:

<EMBED src="thevisiondepot.swf" width=400 height=208 align=middle swLiveConnect=true pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=FALSE bgcolor=#808080 name="thevisiondepot">

</EMBED>

change all http:// links to https:// links so it looks like this:

<EMBED src="thevisiondepot.swf" width=400 height=208 align=middle swLiveConnect=true pluginspage="https://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" LOOP=FALSE bgcolor=#808080 name="thevisiondepot">

</EMBED>

Save the revised catalog/includes/header file, and upload it to the proper directory on your server. Then you will not receive this popup message warning in IE.

Keep us updated.

Jason

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

I was just going to say ... it certainly appears to be working on my end.

The non-secure items popup warning (in Internet Explorer):

Somewhere on that page, you have an http:// external link. If I was a betting man, I'd say it's that flash banner you have in your header. That said ...

Save the revised catalog/includes/header file, and upload it to the proper directory on your server. Then you will not receive this popup message warning in IE.

Keep us updated.

Yes you are right . it's the flash. thank you so much for help. you are my hero. I did the chnges you mentioned in the flash and it works now. thank you very much.

And how can i make contact_us.php SSL protected? please.

HI

Im looking at placing a SSL on my website www.dannislingerie.com, i have one problem my server host is eonhost and i seem to get no help or reply from them. So im finding it hard to apply a SSL, any suggestions?????

Danielle

Yes you are right . it's the flash. thank you so much for help. you are my hero. I did the chnges you mentioned in the flash and it works now. thank you very much.

And how can i make contact_us.php SSL protected? please.

If you wanted to make the contact_us.php SSL protected, you would:

1) Open up catalog/includes/boxes/information.php

2) Find the line that looks like this:

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT . '</a>');

change to

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US, '', 'SSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT . '</a>');

Save information.php and upload it to the proper directory on your server.

Jason

If you wanted to make the contact_us.php SSL protected, you would:

1) Open up catalog/includes/boxes/information.php

2) Find the line that looks like this:

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US) . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT . '</a>');

change to

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US, '', 'SSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CONTACT . '</a>');

Save information.php and upload it to the proper directory on your server.

great so simple, it works. thank you very, very much

HI

Im looking at placing a SSL on my website www.dannislingerie.com, i have one problem my server host is eonhost and i seem to get no help or reply from them. So im finding it hard to apply a SSL, any suggestions?????

Danielle

Yes, Danielle. Follow my instructions. E-mail them and ask them to generate a CSR (certificate signing request) for you. If they ask you anything else, just say, "Nope, please e-mail me the CSR at your earliest convenience." .....

Then, go to a solid SSL company. I'm not allowed to recommend anything, because that's solicitation, so you'll have to e-mail me if you want a recommendation. I know of a few good ones out there for 15 bucks. You'll then, as the original post says, contact the SSL company and you'll e-mail them the CSR that your host, eonhost.com, generated for you. They'll ask for a payment and generously offer you an SSL certificate key, which you'll pass back to your host and ask them to install it for you.

Now, when you buy your SSL, make sure you tell them you want the "www" or you don't want the "www". It really doesn't matter. Just tell them you want the certificate assigned to WWW.dannislingerie.com, NOT dannieslingerie.com. When it comes time for your host to install the SSL certificate key that the SSL company generated for you, also, make sure they install the SSL on WWW.dannislingerie.com, NOT dannislingerie.com.

Make sense? Any more questions, feel free to ask.

I have one, though. Who is this Danny guy and why does he have such an array of lingerie? ;) ... hehe

Good luck.

Jason

HI

Danielle

Yes, Danielle. Follow my instructions. E-mail them and ask them to generate a CSR (certificate signing request) for you. If they ask you anything else, just say, "Nope, please e-mail me the CSR at your earliest convenience." .....

Then, go to a solid SSL company. I'm not allowed to recommend anything, because that's solicitation, so you'll have to e-mail me if you want a recommendation. I know of a few good ones out there for 15 bucks. You'll then, as the original post says, contact the SSL company and you'll e-mail them the CSR that your host, eonhost.com, generated for you. They'll ask for a payment and generously offer you an SSL certificate key, which you'll pass back to your host and ask them to install it for you.

Now, when you buy your SSL, make sure you tell them you want the "www" or you don't want the "www". It really doesn't matter. Just tell them you want the certificate assigned to WWW.dannislingerie.com, NOT dannieslingerie.com. When it comes time for your host to install the SSL certificate key that the SSL company generated for you, also, make sure they install the SSL on WWW.dannislingerie.com, NOT dannislingerie.com.

I have one, though. Who is this Danny guy and why does he have such an array of lingerie? ;) ... hehe

Good luck.

Jason

great so simple, it works. thank you very, very much

No problem. Consider putting an SSL seal in one of you columns -- probably at the bottom of your right column. You'll see like in Arlisa Bijoux's web page we put an SSL seal in her lower right column. It's just an extra measure that adds to consumer confidence (in addition to the padlock).

Jason

No problem. Consider putting an SSL seal in one of you columns -- probably at the bottom of your right column. You'll see like in Arlisa Bijoux's web page we put an SSL seal in her lower right column. It's just an extra measure that adds to consumer confidence (in addition to the padlock).

I want to do it but i am not sure how. is there any contrib for that?

And also i would like to have on each page that is secured text saying that the page is secured. Maybe with an image of a padlock as well. Is the only solution to do it to write that text on each page?

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise, just one thing im having a problem getting a reply from my Host, is there anything i can do without this, im looking to transfer to another host, but again unsure about how to go about this if im getting no reply from my host, any idea???

I want to do it but i am not sure how. is there any contrib for that?

And also i would like to have on each page that is secured text saying that the page is secured. Maybe with an image of a padlock as well. Is the only solution to do it to write that text on each page?

Let me know who your SSL is through, and I'll tell you how to do it. There will be a padlock in every page that requires SSL encryption, such as login, create_account, checkout, etc., etc. .... but just having a seal in the right column at the bottom is enough. You can see what I do on my latest site, at http://www.thevisiondepot.com ... I replaced the stock OSC cartoon icons with my SSL seal. But making a box and putting it in the lower right column is fine.

Don't write text. You can tell them all about SSL encryption in your privacy.php page. A seal on the other pages in your right column is fine. Don't overdo it, but do let 'em know it's secure.

Jason

Thanks for the advise, just one thing im having a problem getting a reply from my Host, is there anything i can do without this, im looking to transfer to another host, but again unsure about how to go about this if im getting no reply from my host, any idea???

Danielle, come on now. If your host won't even respond to an e-mail or phone call, you cannot be serious about having a respectable e-commerce store that will sell around the nation. Of course, the only answer is to get a new host, and I can recommend. Well, I guess you could break into the basement they're working out of and fix their servers for 'em.

Get a new host, Danielle.

Jason

Let me know who your SSL is through, and I'll tell you how to do it. There will be a padlock in every page that requires SSL encryption, such as login, create_account, checkout, etc., etc. .... but just having a seal in the right column at the bottom is enough. You can see what I do on my latest site, at http://www.thevisiondepot.com ... I replaced the stock OSC cartoon icons with my SSL seal. But making a box and putting it in the lower right column is fine.

Don't write text. You can tell them all about SSL encryption in your privacy.php page. A seal on the other pages in your right column is fine. Don't overdo it, but do let 'em know it's secure.

Thank you very much for info. My SSL is from www.rapidssl.com I like the idea to replace the stock OSC cartoon icons with my SSL seal Could you tel me please how to do it? Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for info. My SSL is from www.rapidssl.com I like the idea to replace the stock OSC cartoon icons with my SSL seal Could you tel me please how to do it? Thank you very much.

It's a lot more work to do what I did. Making an extra box at the bottom of the right column is much easier and quicker. But if you insist, there are 2 options, in order of preference. You have to go through your root catalog files, such as shipping.php, etc., and find all occurrences of something similar to this:

1. Better option:

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

and change to:

<td class="pageHeading" align="right">

<!-- GeoTrust QuickSSL [tm] Smart Icon tag. Do not edit. -->

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="si.js"></SCRIPT>

<!-- end GeoTrust Smart Icon tag -->

</td>

This is assuming you have the Geotrust rapidssl. If you do not, then do this:

2. Second option:

Go to http://www.rapidssl.com/ssl-certificate-su...al/rapidssl.htm and then right-click that image, rapidssl_ssl_certificate.gif. Save it and upload it to your catalog/images folder. Then you will replace all occurrences of:

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

with:

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'rapidssl_ssl_certificate.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

Good luck.

Jason

On that 1. Better option, I messed up the code. It should be:

1. Better option:

and change to:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="//smarticon.geotrust.com/si.js"></SCRIPT>

</td>

My mistake. Good luck.

Jason

On that 1. Better option, I messed up the code. It should be:

1. Better option:

and change to:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript" SRC="//smarticon.geotrust.com/si.js"></SCRIPT>

</td>

My mistake. Good luck.

Thank you very much for info. So it is just adding an image to the site (option2). Option 1 i think i can't have because i use just a free trial version of SSL. But i put it on contuct_us.php And i thik later i put it on all pages.

But ihave one more problem. Sorry to bother you that much.Hope you can help please.

I have a login box. But i can't use SSL on this box. So i would like to have it the way you did it on your site http://www.thevisiondepot.com To have in the box just links "Login" and "Create an Account"

I tryed many times and nothing. I just don't know how to do it. This is the code from the login box:

<?php
$info_box_contents = array();
$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
							 'text'  => BOX_LOGINBOX_HEADING
							);
new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, $newtheme, false, false);
$loginboxcontent = "
		<form name=\"login\" method=\"post\" action=\"" . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, 'action=process') . "\">
		<table border=\"0\" width=\"100%\" cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\">
		  <tr>
			<td align=\"left\" class=\"main\">
				" . tep_box_greeting_top() . "
			</td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			<td align=\"center\" class=\"main\">
			  " . BOX_LOGINBOX_EMAIL . "
			</td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			  <input type=\"text\" name=\"email_address\" maxlength=\"96\" size=\"20\" value=\"\">
			</td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			  " . BOX_LOGINBOX_PASSWORD . " 
			</td>
		  </tr>
		  <tr>
			  <input type=\"password\" name=\"password\" maxlength=\"40\" size=\"20\" value=\"\">
			</td>
		  </tr>

<tr>
			<td class=\"main\" align=\"center\" style=\"padding-top:3px\">
			  " . tep_image_submit('button_login.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_LOGIN) . "

</td>
		  </tr>

Would you know please how to replace this code so only links with "Login" and "Create an Account" would be there?

Thank you very much. i appriciate your help.

Yeah ... you have the loginbox contribution. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you insist, here's my login box code:

<?php
/*
 $Id: login.php,v 1.6 2003/02/10 22:31:00 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
?>
<!-- login //-->
	  <tr>
		<td>
<?php
 $info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_LOGIN);

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, false, false);

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_LOGIN . '</a><br>' .
									 '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_CREATE_ACCOUNT . '</a>');

new infoBox($info_box_contents);
?>
		</td>
	  </tr>
<!-- login_eof //-->

And of course, in your catalog/includes/languages/english.php file, you should have a line in there, anywhere, like this:

// login box

define('BOX_HEADING_LOGIN', 'Customer Login');

And regarding the SSL, you can get the RapidSSL for just 15 bucks from many places. E-mail (not message) me if you need any referrals. I'd just fork up the 15 bucks and be done with it. Good luck.

Jason

Ok... so was trying to follow these instructions and get my SSL through RapidSSL.... I called my host and they told me that because "I was using a shared host I can not use a different company for my SSL" does this make sense? And arent dedicated servers like a hundred $$ a month? Is there a difference with how well my site functions using a shared vs. dedicated server? Thanks for the great thread!

lol ... many people (myself included) are on a shared server. They just want you to purchase their own shared SSL! These goofy hosts ...

Call or write your host and say this, firmly: "Please provide me with a CSR (certificate signing request) on http://www.yourdomain.com. I have talked to my webmaster, and he is very well aware of the fact that I can use Geotrust's RapidSSL on a shared server. If you cannot provide me with a CSR, and install this for me once I purchase the SSL, then I will be forced to switch to a new host, because I will be using Geotrust RapidSSL on a shared server."

Don't let them b.s. you. Heck, I'll talk to 'em for ya and let them try to b.s. me. If they try to share their shared SSL, forget it. If they tell you that you have to pay more and get a dedicated server, forget it. All of this is hogwash. Say what I just typed above.

Any problems, e-mail me or use Yahoo messenger (don't use OSC message).

Jason

LOL, thanks for your reply! I just emailed them what you said, we will see what they have to say about that!

Thank you for your help, through many forums I have found your help to be invaluable!!!

While we are at it, another question about ssl and www.

The way that most people link to my site is through www.grunionfabrication.com... after you click on any other page it changes to grunionfabrication.com with no www. Does this mean I should sign up my SSL on www.grunionfabrication.com or grunionfabrication.com?

Hi, I have been following this thread to try to get my ssl to work. my site is http://www.gypsiedream.com

When I try to access through my site the secure pages like My Account or Check Out, I get a page that says "The Web Page Cannot Be Found"

When I go into Admin, and I click on tools, it ask for my username and password again, then it becomes a secure page. If I go back to administration, it will then say that it is protected by an unknown secure ssl certificate.

I have my personal ssl cert written to www.gypsiedream.com. and have a dedicated IP.

My includes/configure.php file is:

// Define the webserver and path parameters

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)

// * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.gypsiedream.com'); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://www.gypsiedream.com/catalog/'); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('ENABLE_SSL', true); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.gypsiedream.com');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.gypsiedream.com');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/xxxxx/public_html/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

// define our database connection

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'xxxxx_xxxxx');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'xxxxx');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'xxxxx_shop');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persistent connections?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

?>

(The /Catalog/ on define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://www.gypsiedream.com/catalog/'); was put there to resolve the problem in my address bar, where it was running together the whole stream of words with no /. )

My admin/includes/configure.php file is:

// Define the webserver and path parameters

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)

// * DIR_WS_* = Webserver directories (virtual/URL)

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'https://www.gypsiedream.com'); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://www.gypsiedream.com');

define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://www.gypsiedream.com');

define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'true'); // secure webserver for catalog module

define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/home/xxxxx/public_html/'); // where the pages are located on the server

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/home/xxxxx/public_html/admin/'); // absolute pate required

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/xxxxx/public_html/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');

define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');

// define our database connection

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'xxxxx');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'xxxxx');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'xxxxx_shop');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false'); // use persisstent connections?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

?>

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,

Laura

LOL, thanks for your reply! I just emailed them what you said, we will see what they have to say about that!

Thank you for your help, through many forums I have found your help to be invaluable!!!

While we are at it, another question about ssl and www.

The way that most people link to my site is through www.grunionfabrication.com... after you click on any other page it changes to grunionfabrication.com with no www. Does this mean I should sign up my SSL on www.grunionfabrication.com or grunionfabrication.com?

First of all, it doesn't automatically change to http://grunionfabrication.com for me. It stayed at http://www.grunionfabrication.com. Regardless, you would definitely want to choose one or the other, and stick with it. To go or not to go with the www? Your choice.

But set this up in your root .htaccess file. If you go with the www, like I did:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^grunionfabrication.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.grunionfabrication.com/$1 [R=301,L]

If you go with no www:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.grunionfabrication.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://grunionfabrication.com/$1 [R=301,L]

This is called a permanent 301 redirect, but it's important. Many site owners make the mistake of excluding this. This means that www.domain.com, www.domain.com/index.php, domain.com, and domain.com/index.php are all the same page! That's 4 URL's that are all the same page! That's big time penalizations in all search engines. But if you include the above coding, when an end-user types in "grunionfabrication.com", it will take them to "www.grunionfabrication.com", and you will avoid duplicate content penalties in search engines.

Jason

Archived