• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding multiple products to the store, when all else fails!

mkpenus

Hello, and thanks for stopping by.

For months, maybe even years now ive tried to find a way to easier add lots of products to my osc webshop.

Ive tried easypopulate, product manager etc. and nothing works for me.

My site is hosted at a webhotel, the windows based product managers can't get access to my msql db because it's only working from within the server, "localhost".

What I want, so desperatly, is a program that let's me insert tons of products at once. And let's me edit the details like image, price and name on the spot, and then just throw it up into the db.

If there are any good alternatives then I would be forever appreciative.

Thanks alot.

Keller.

PS: My site, for reference: http://www.kelz0r.dk/magic

There should't be any reason Easy Populate won't work. If it won't work due to your server setup, then things like database backup and uploading images won't work either. In that case, you should seriously consider switching hosts.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The host is okay. I can install easy populate just fine, however when I make the changes in the txt file and try to upload it it uploads but doesn't add the files.

I fear it's because ep requires some sort of model number, which I changed in my store to represent a filter function (rarity of the cards for example).

I can't redo that now since im past 2000 cards.

I would love to use easypopulate, and I have it installed on the site, but im afraid that unless you can get around the problem I have then i'll be stuck..

Michael

You are correct. The model number is a required field. You could add a new field to cover what you are using the model number for now and do a search and replace via the database. That would allow you to use the model number for it's real purpose. Other than that, I tihnk you are out of look.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay that sounds like a really good idea.

Can you help me do it? Im not sure how to add a new field, or transfer the current ones to it.

Also every single item has to have a unique model numer right? Do I have to add that manually or can it be assigned automatically to new items?

Thanks alot.

Michael

In phpmyadmin, go to the table you want to change and you will see an option to add a field. Name it what you want and set its properties to match that of the products model field. If you have Easy Populate installed, you can change all of the models numbers at once by editing the excel file.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If that doesn't work then you can send me a csv file of the products tables and i will run a program I wrote to create a sql file so all you have to do is cut and paste the create table and insert commands

let me know if you need this

Regards

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

I might have to take you up on that crash, but first.

I go to phpmyadmin (im really not too experienced with these things).

And I go to my products table. There I can choose all sorts of stuff, but I can't see where I can add a new field.

Could you guide me through each step?

Thanks for helping both of you.

Michael

Hello, and thanks for stopping by.

For months, maybe even years now ive tried to find a way to easier add lots of products to my osc webshop.

Ive tried easypopulate, product manager etc. and nothing works for me.

My site is hosted at a webhotel, the windows based product managers can't get access to my msql db because it's only working from within the server, "localhost".

What I want, so desperatly, is a program that let's me insert tons of products at once. And let's me edit the details like image, price and name on the spot, and then just throw it up into the db.

If there are any good alternatives then I would be forever appreciative.

Thanks alot.

Keller.

PS: My site, for reference: http://www.kelz0r.dk/magic

Well, if your host has phpmyadmin installed on the server, why not just use it to add to the database with a delimited text file? Easypopulate seems superfluos if phpmyadmin is available.

I tried it. But im getting some errors when I try too.

Also, I can't upload all the same values directly into phpadmin as I can in EP.

Name of the product for example is not listed in the db, it's linked.

I might have to take you up on that crash, but first.

I go to phpmyadmin (im really not too experienced with these things).

And I go to my products table. There I can choose all sorts of stuff, but I can't see where I can add a new field.

Could you guide me through each step?

Thanks for helping both of you.

Michael

Click on a table and then on Structure. All of the fields will be listed. Underneath those will be a line that allows you to add a new row. That's what you want. If your host is using an old version of phpmyadmin, this may not be an option.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived