• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation

Edwardo

Hi again

Still having problems editing the opening page. OsCommerce is installed using a pre installed script in my hosting account. Installation appears ok but I can't edit the opening page ie 'This is a deffault setup of the oScommerce project etc..' On entering the languages/english/index.php I get the error message:- Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/myusername/shop/includes/languages/english/index.php Struggled with this for a while then uninstalled and re installed. Eventually I contacted my hosting company, they carried out the post install procedures and set the permissions for me according to oscommerce procedures and suggested everything was set up properly. Unfortunately there is no change and they suggested I contact the script writer. So here I am again. I have had one suggestion but the permissions appear to be set correctly.

Thank You

Hi again

Still having problems editing the opening page. OsCommerce is installed using a pre installed script in my hosting account. Installation appears ok but I can't edit the opening page ie 'This is a deffault setup of the oScommerce project etc..' On entering the languages/english/index.php I get the error message:- Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/myusername/shop/includes/languages/english/index.php Struggled with this for a while then uninstalled and re installed. Eventually I contacted my hosting company, they carried out the post install procedures and set the permissions for me according to oscommerce procedures and suggested everything was set up properly. Unfortunately there is no change and they suggested I contact the script writer. So here I am again. I have had one suggestion but the permissions appear to be set correctly.

Thank You

If you continue to have problems, you could always just edit the file on your server using whatever online file manager your hosting company provides (if they have one) or FTP the file down/up that you wish to edit. Time consuming? Yes. Works? Yes.

By the sounds of it you are using the OSC File manager, I would void away from this and do as suggested above, use an ftp program, download the files to your pc, do all required changes then upload.

Also with the FTP program you can adjust the permissions on files yourself.

I use cuteftp, but any ftp program (free from google) will suffice.

CJ and Stuart give you good advice, but I don't feel like the advised you strongly enough about editing your files through the osC admin file editor.

Do NOT edit your files through the admin of osC. You WILL break your store. There IS a bug. Mainly, it's strips out all of the backslashes, which will cause a systax error for escaped apostrophies.

Also, don't use any of the tools in your web hosting account admin page (cpanel, etc.) These have similar issues.

Use a regular FTP client, and a text editor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived