• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I add Meta keywords

bigbird842

Hi

I recently asked my customers for feedback on my site and one person suggested I add meta keywords to help search engine spiders to find me easier.

Q1 Is this something worth doing?

Q2 Where do I put them?

this is a copy of the note from my customer:

_META NAME="keywords" content="Mortgages, Savings, Loans, Insurance"_ (obviously changing the finance related words from my site, to crafts related ones applicable to yours!). You can put an unlimited number of these words in here. These words help search engine spiders to rank your site more easily. This can lead to an uplift in placements in search engine result pages.

I have looked at my .PHP files and on the firrst page that comes up I have a number of files titled 1.html, 2.html and so on I have found the following code on all of these files:

<html><head><META content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>

<title></title>

<meta name="description" content="">

<meta name="keywords" content=""></head>

Am I right in thinking my keywords need to go between the speech marks following the word content?

If this is correct do I need to do this in all of these numbered HTML files for it to be effective. My site is www.patch-corner-crafts2004.co.uk

Any help and advice would be appreciated as I am an absolute beginner with PHP

Teresa

It is not so much that the keywords are important, buth them taken along with the title and various other changes can make the difference between a successful and a failing site.

To properly add keywords, you need to install a meta tags contribution. I prefer Header Tags. Since you are getting the meta tags in your file, you must have made some change to the code. I can't tell from your site what you did to add the tags except to say it is not Header Tags. So I can't say how you would edit those. My guess is that whatever method you used, the changes are not working correctly since the title is the same for all pages, which is not correct.

Once you get the proper code in the files, it is usually easy to set up the tags. Your customer gave you bad information when he said you could add unlimited keywords. You can add a lot but, generally speaking, going over three keywords per page is a mistake.

Don't try to add the tags yourself. oscommerce is not an html site and the procedure used on those sites will not work for it. Install either Header Tags or cDynamic Meta tags (don't bother with any of the others - they are cut down versions at best).

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived