• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Alternate payment method needed that customer won't/can't choose

kru

We get orders from an external source (eBay) and want to be able to add them to the orders database so we have one source for all our records. Obviously we can add the customer, but we run into a problem when trying to add the order. The customer has usually already paid for the item, so we can't select any of the delivered payment methods and have it be accurate and/or not selectable by the customers who are completing their own orders online.

If we select credit card, the order is never generated because we aren't actually processing a card, so we're not returned to a checkout_success page.

If we select money order/cashier's check, it's not accurate. Obviously we can change it to credit card through mySQLadmin but that's not the whole issue. We might be confusing the customer because the Order Update email that is auto-generated tells them we won't ship the item until we receive payment. We don't want to change the auto-generate process though. (Not for the general population anyway.)

So..... what we need is some method for us to enter orders internally where we can select a payment method of Paypal that will generate an order as soon as we hit the Confirm button, much like the Cashier's Check/Money Order option. Only we need it to indicate Paypal payment. However, we would prefer that this option not be available to the general public because they might try to select it, which would lead to confusion again. (Plus, it would open the possibility of selecting that payment method when they haven't actually paid for the item. If we're not watching our Paypal payments closely, we could potentially ship them something they never ordered through eBay and never paid for.)

What would be GREAT, is if there was another version of the Payment screen that would only be presented to us. Maybe if we're using a specific (and very unique) password, an additional payment option would be presented??

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish our goal? It doesn't have to be the method I've suggested. I'm open to other ideas. We just want to get this solved as quickly as possible. We'd like to be using a single database by 1/1/07 so we need to get things in place now.

Thanks.

Add-Ons personally installed:

Step by Step Manual Order -- Request Reviews -- Reviews in Product Listing -- Reviews in Product Display -- Review Approval System -- Leverage Browser Cache --
Header Tag Controller -- Multilayer SEO Pop Out Menu -- Follow Us Box -- View All Products -- USPS Shipping Labels -- UPS Shipping Labels -- Monthly Sales/Tax Report --
htacess Optimisation -- Remove Unused Images -- Master Password -- Admin Change Customer Password -- Database Backup Manager -- Zero Stock Report --
Searchbox Search In Descriptions -- Easy Populate 2.76i -- Barcode Rendering -- Admin Sort By Model -- Products Purchased Report

Add-Ons personally developed:

Search for email address, etc in Orders -- Discontinue Product

Add-Ons installed by others:

View Counter -- Site Monitor -- Image Thumbnailer -- Database Optimizer -- Recaptcha -- Discount Coupons -- Add More Fields

We get orders from an external source (eBay) and want to be able to add them to the orders database so we have one source for all our records. Obviously we can add the customer, but we run into a problem when trying to add the order. The customer has usually already paid for the item, so we can't select any of the delivered payment methods and have it be accurate and/or not selectable by the customers who are completing their own orders online.

If we select credit card, the order is never generated because we aren't actually processing a card, so we're not returned to a checkout_success page.

If we select money order/cashier's check, it's not accurate. Obviously we can change it to credit card through mySQLadmin but that's not the whole issue. We might be confusing the customer because the Order Update email that is auto-generated tells them we won't ship the item until we receive payment. We don't want to change the auto-generate process though. (Not for the general population anyway.)

So..... what we need is some method for us to enter orders internally where we can select a payment method of Paypal that will generate an order as soon as we hit the Confirm button, much like the Cashier's Check/Money Order option. Only we need it to indicate Paypal payment. However, we would prefer that this option not be available to the general public because they might try to select it, which would lead to confusion again. (Plus, it would open the possibility of selecting that payment method when they haven't actually paid for the item. If we're not watching our Paypal payments closely, we could potentially ship them something they never ordered through eBay and never paid for.)

What would be GREAT, is if there was another version of the Payment screen that would only be presented to us. Maybe if we're using a specific (and very unique) password, an additional payment option would be presented??

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish our goal? It doesn't have to be the method I've suggested. I'm open to other ideas. We just want to get this solved as quickly as possible. We'd like to be using a single database by 1/1/07 so we need to get things in place now.

Thanks.

This MIGHT work: make a copy of the php file (checkout_whatever) that displays the screen, then change

the name of the copy to something like 'checkout_whatever.php.ebay. Modify it for the payment option

you want. Then when you go to your site, erase index.php and replace it with your file:

http://mystore.com/checkout_whatever.php.ebay

Have you checked through the contributions? Saw one recently which enabled you to add orders from the admin side. Sorry can't remember what it was called - will have a look.

***EDITED***

Order Editor

Order Editor for MVS

Attitude Simple Manual Order Entry

Have you checked through the contributions? Saw one recently which enabled you to add orders from the admin side. Sorry can't remember what it was called - will have a look.

***EDITED***

Order Editor

Order Editor for MVS

I checked the contribs but didn't find anything with my searches. But I've never had much luck with the search feature... Thanks. I'll check these out.

Step by Step Manual Order -- Request Reviews -- Reviews in Product Listing -- Reviews in Product Display -- Review Approval System -- Leverage Browser Cache --
Header Tag Controller -- Multilayer SEO Pop Out Menu -- Follow Us Box -- View All Products -- USPS Shipping Labels -- UPS Shipping Labels -- Monthly Sales/Tax Report --
htacess Optimisation -- Remove Unused Images -- Master Password -- Admin Change Customer Password -- Database Backup Manager -- Zero Stock Report --
Searchbox Search In Descriptions -- Easy Populate 2.76i -- Barcode Rendering -- Admin Sort By Model -- Products Purchased Report

View Counter -- Site Monitor -- Image Thumbnailer -- Database Optimizer -- Recaptcha -- Discount Coupons -- Add More Fields

Order Editor

Order Editor for MVS

Those are the titles of the contribs.

Jemma

I read Order Editor (we don't use MVS.) It just references editing an order. In our case, we need to ADD the order because the order/payment came in from another source (eBay/Paypal). Does this contrib provide the ability to add an order, but it just isn't mentioned?

Thanks.

djmonkey1 answered my question. The Order Editor contrib only allows for editing of existing orders. It looks like the Step By Step Manual Order Entry contrib may fit the bill though, so I'm going to research it a little more.

Thanks to everyone who PMed, emailed or answered here.

Archived