• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

First Oscommerce site

jason32835

Hi Folks,

I am just finishing up my first attempt with OsCommerce and I'd love to get some feedback on what everyone thinks. I'm still waiting for all of my pictures to come in.

I'm looking for help with professionalism, ease of use, spelling!:), does it seem a bit slow?, anything that will help me put the finishing touches on this puppy.

Thanks!

Jason

http://www.probilia.net

Professionalism: Get some more Tigers and Red Wings in there! hehe ...

(1) Consider PWA -- purchase without account

(2) Unique product -- good!

(3) Are all your pics in place? http://www.probilia.net/soccer-c-28.html, or any product page. For instance, the first pic on that page points to: http://www.probilia.net/images/313-422257.jpg ... .are you sure you have your images directory correct in your includes/configure.php? Your logo points to http://www.probilia.net/images/theme/logo.jpg, so there's a 'theme' directory. Products and Cats are missing pics, though.

(4) Good use of SEO URL's.

(5) Brandi Chastain -- wasn't she the chic who took her shirt off after the USA scored that goal? lol

(6) I wish your page titles would say more than "baseball" or "soccer". A phrase. "Autographed Baseball Memorabilia" would be appropriate. Page titles are important.

Good luck.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Oh God.. I installed the PWA contrib last night and didn't like the results, so I restored my files and BOOM.. I was getting some pretty scary errors. I cried myself to sleep, but have put things pretty much back together this morning. I still need to repair my meta tags and URLs. That sucked.

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback on this idea. This may be the wrong place to post this, but I'll try it.

I saw a contrib. that would allow my customers to check out with no account. at all. I am using PayPal with IPN and I was thinking about just scraping the "account" section altogether. I am thinking that most of my customers won't have a Paypal account and will need to type in all of their information once they hit PayPals website. I will get all the info I need to ship out the product, so why not just get them to that screen as easy as possible? Just have them add items to their cart, hit check out and go straight to PayPal.

Any suggestions? Is this a bad idea?

Oh God.. I installed the PWA contrib last night and didn't like the results, so I restored my files and BOOM.. I was getting some pretty scary errors. I cried myself to sleep, but have put things pretty much back together this morning. I still need to repair my meta tags and URLs. That sucked.

Anyway, I wanted to get some feedback on this idea. This may be the wrong place to post this, but I'll try it.

I saw a contrib. that would allow my customers to check out with no account. at all.

Yes. It's called "Purchase Without Account". There's another one, "Fast, Easy Checkout" (which I have), but it's much more difficult to install. PWA is a pretty simple install. Maybe try redoing it.

I am using PayPal with IPN and I was thinking about just scraping the "account" section altogether. I am thinking that most of my customers won't have a Paypal account and will need to type in all of their information once they hit PayPals website. I will get all the info I need to ship out the product, so why not just get them to that screen as easy as possible? Just have them add items to their cart, hit check out and go straight to PayPal.

Any suggestions? Is this a bad idea?

Yes. Bad idea. Some customers may want to create an account; never discourage them. Give them options. Options are good. What are the advantages of creating an account? Well, they're splattered all over OSC, but the ability to receive product notifications, view their order history, save items in their shopping cart if they can't pay right there .... I wouldn't scrap the 'account' section at all. Just give them the option of not creating an account -- reinstall PWA. It's a long-trusted contribution that works.

As far as Paypal, having to go there and they have to create a paypal account, well .... I believe now they can just put their credit card info in without creating a paypal account, but it still takes 'em to the paypal website, etc. .... which is why I don't use paypal. Make sure your paypal/profile/webiste payment preferences ... make sure the auto-return is 'on' so it goes back to your website after they buy something.

Jason

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Yes. It's called "Purchase Without Account". There's another one, "Fast, Easy Checkout" (which I have), but it's much more difficult to install. PWA is a pretty simple install. Maybe try redoing it.

Yes. Bad idea. Some customers may want to create an account; never discourage them. Give them options. Options are good. What are the advantages of creating an account? Well, they're splattered all over OSC, but the ability to receive product notifications, view their order history, save items in their shopping cart if they can't pay right there .... I wouldn't scrap the 'account' section at all. Just give them the option of not creating an account -- reinstall PWA. It's a long-trusted contribution that works.

As far as Paypal, having to go there and they have to create a paypal account, well .... I believe now they can just put their credit card info in without creating a paypal account, but it still takes 'em to the paypal website, etc. .... which is why I don't use paypal. Make sure your paypal/profile/webiste payment preferences ... make sure the auto-return is 'on' so it goes back to your website after they buy something.

I wish I had a better option then paypal, but I just don't know how well I'm going to do and I don't want a monthly payment that I can't cover. Hopefully I will do well and then I can get a real merchant account.

I'll try the PWA again. They will just have to enter their addresses twice.

Thank you for the feedback.

Hello,

I've been working away on my website and I think I have the suggestions I have gotten so far incorporated.

I really need everyone's help with a couple of areas. I am connecting from work on a quick connection and my site is DEAD SLOW to me. I contacted my host (godaddy) and they said they don't see the problem and recommended I update my browser.

I also used websiteoptimization.com to check my site speed and it didn't seem that bad, but it looks awful when I navigate it. Can I get some feedback from you kind people as to how it looks to you? I know it won't be really fast, but I need to know if it is slow enough to drive away customers.

I am still uploading pics, but I would really like to get some general feedback as well. What if anything would change to make the site look/work better. Does the SEO look correct?

Thank you!!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to try one more time here to see if I can't get some feedback for my site. I notice that I get a lot of people looking, but almost zero feedback. I'm hoping that isn't a bad thing, but either way I'd like to try and extract some of the considerable knowledge that this community has.

At this point, I am pretty much done, just trying to get my site listed with the SEs. I would love to know if people find the site to professional enough to make a purchase from, how the layout feels, how the SEO looks, ect.

Thank you again, I owe a lot to this forum and OsCommerce community in general.

Jason

I don't know if its just me and getting old, but I have some trouble reading your products title on your homepage.

e.g. Tiger Woods Autographed -2005 Masters- Pin Flag with Photos - Framed (UDA)

It seems all crushed up, (screen res 1024 x 768)

Good job in the PWA ... This is being somewhat picky ... but do customers really care that .. "This product was added to our catalog on Friday 13 October, 2006." ????

It's just yet another unnecessary OSC query that you don't need to run. Removing it won't speed things up noticeably, but it may remove some unnecessary business from the site. Just comment out any "requests" lines in product_info.php ... or go to inc/lang/eng/product_info.php and take care of it there .... if you want to.

Jason

Good job in the PWA ... This is being somewhat picky ... but do customers really care that .. "This product was added to our catalog on Friday 13 October, 2006." ????

It's just yet another unnecessary OSC query that you don't need to run. Removing it won't speed things up noticeably, but it may remove some unnecessary business from the site. Just comment out any "requests" lines in product_info.php ... or go to inc/lang/eng/product_info.php and take care of it there .... if you want to.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the feedback, your right, that was unnecassary and it is gone now.

I really appreciate all of your help!

JH

I don't know if its just me and getting old, but I have some trouble reading your products title on your homepage.

e.g. Tiger Woods Autographed -2005 Masters- Pin Flag with Photos - Framed (UDA)

It seems all crushed up, (screen res 1024 x 768)

Stuart,

Thank you for your feedback. Can you tell me which browser you are using? I've been trying to recreate the problem and I'm not able to see it. I use IE and Firefox at the same screen res as you are.

Thanks!

JH

Archived