osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Backup\restore for different version

markroberts

I am wanting to accomplish 3 things.

1. move my oscommerce site to a different server

2. upgrade to that latest version

3. not lose any data.

I am currently running an older version...not sure what it is...I installed in 2003. Can I install a new version on another server, back up the old system, copy the backup to the new server and do a restore on the new version? Will that work?

Anyone tried this? thanks for your help.

yes, done many times. check the version in application_top.php, it should be ms2.2 though. In the latest download zip, there is an update.txt file with all patches (3 sets) since the first release of MS2.2 - there will be no data loss occuring from this. I would not install anew version - your design changes would be lost and all contribution work.

Backup your database before you move!!! I just dealt with someone who changed hosts (host deleted database VERY fast) and forgot to backup it first.

basically:

1) backup database

2) backup files

3) create new empty database in new host

4) import database backup

5) open your 2 configure.php files and adjust paths and database connection to the new servers

6) upload files to their new home

7) password protect admin

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Archived