• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

File manager problem

sunnyskies

Hi everyone,

I have a problem. I am trying to edit my home page but when I go through file manager it says I cannot change anything. I need to set the permissions first. How do I do that? Up to now there was not a problem so I don't know what has changed. Please Help!

Thank you

Karen

Hi everyone,

I have a problem. I am trying to edit my home page but when I go through file manager it says I cannot change anything. I need to set the permissions first. How do I do that? Up to now there was not a problem so I don't know what has changed. Please Help!

Thank you

Karen

Karen I hope your not using the file manager that is associated with the admin page in OSC. It can cause BIG problems with your site. I hope that program is not included with the newest version of OSC. You should always use a good FTP program to upload and download your files to your computer and then use a good editor to modify what ever your working with. Then upload the file back into place.

You can change the permissions of the files usually by right clicking on the file in your FTP program and then setting the permissions there. If your not familuar with the permission settings just do a quick search on the internet and a little reading will help you tremendusly.

Always backup what ever file your working with before you do any changes and backup your entire site at least ounce a week even if you haven't made any changes to it. That way if anything goes wrong you will be able to just upload the files back into place and your back in the game.

Archived