• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple selections per dropdown menu

Rheannon Dawn

I have installed the Product Attributes - Open Type Feature to my store so that I have dropdown menus for products that can be ordered in a multitude of selections. When I try to apply the options/values, etc. I can only get one selection. For example, I need to have sizes to choose from; Small, Medium, Large, and so on, but it will only let me put Small instead of S-L as individual selections. I have tried adding them one at a time then editing, but doing so just removes the first option added and replaces it with the second. I have also tried typing all the selections in at once, but it came up on the same line, making it impossible to choose between them.

This is probably me just missing a step or something, but any help or ideas would be most appreciated.

)o( Blessings..RheannonDawn

• 3 weeks later...
I have installed the Product Attributes - Open Type Feature to my store so that I have dropdown menus for products that can be ordered in a multitude of selections. When I try to apply the options/values, etc. I can only get one selection. For example, I need to have sizes to choose from; Small, Medium, Large, and so on, but it will only let me put Small instead of S-L as individual selections. I have tried adding them one at a time then editing, but doing so just removes the first option added and replaces it with the second. I have also tried typing all the selections in at once, but it came up on the same line, making it impossible to choose between them.

This is probably me just missing a step or something, but any help or ideas would be most appreciated.

WOW...thanks people..for being so speedy and helpful :)

I believe the problem you're describing is when, with the Product Attributes Option Type Feature contribution installed, a customer cannot place in their cart mulitple identical products each with their own unique text input attribute.

For instance if you were selling coffee mugs, a customer could not select a black mug with the input text of "Greatest Mom in the World" and then also select an identical black mug with the input text of "Greatest Dad in the World". In fact in this case what would happen is they would have two mugs in their cart each with the latter inscription. They could, however, select a white mug with the former inscription and a black mug with the latter, or a small black mug with the former inscription and a medium black mug with the latter inscription (ie, the product has two attributes, size and a text input box).

This is actually not a limitation of the contribution itself but an unfortunate result of the way osCommerce handles product attributes conflicting with what this contribution seeks to accomplish. In fact if it's to be considered a limitation of the contribution, it isn't because it necessarily features faulty logic but because it doesn't go far enough in altering the logic a default osCommerce store uses in handling attributes.

The reason behind the problem is that osCommerce uses numbers to identify the product options as well as the product option values, and whenever those numbers match they're considered to be the same product (and in a stock osC store they are). For instance if you had a product with an id of 28{3}1, that would be the product with product_id 28, product_options_id 3, and product_options_values_id 1. In the case of the black mug, the 28 would be the mug, the 3 would be the text input, and the 1 would be whatever the customer typed in the box. The problem with multiple products in this case is that for every individual inscription on the mug, the product is still identified as 28{3}1, and so the cart lumps them all together.

In short, in order to be able to do what you want to do, you have to change the way your site thinks about product attributes, at least in the case of the text input.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

I believe the problem you're describing is when, with the Product Attributes Option Type Feature contribution installed, a customer cannot place in their cart mulitple identical products each with their own unique text input attribute.

For instance if you were selling coffee mugs, a customer could not select a black mug with the input text of "Greatest Mom in the World" and then also select an identical black mug with the input text of "Greatest Dad in the World". In fact in this case what would happen is they would have two mugs in their cart each with the latter inscription. They could, however, select a white mug with the former inscription and a black mug with the latter, or a small black mug with the former inscription and a medium black mug with the latter inscription (ie, the product has two attributes, size and a text input box).

This is actually not a limitation of the contribution itself but an unfortunate result of the way osCommerce handles product attributes conflicting with what this contribution seeks to accomplish. In fact if it's to be considered a limitation of the contribution, it isn't because it necessarily features faulty logic but because it doesn't go far enough in altering the logic a default osCommerce store uses in handling attributes.

The reason behind the problem is that osCommerce uses numbers to identify the product options as well as the product option values, and whenever those numbers match they're considered to be the same product (and in a stock osC store they are). For instance if you had a product with an id of 28{3}1, that would be the product with product_id 28, product_options_id 3, and product_options_values_id 1. In the case of the black mug, the 28 would be the mug, the 3 would be the text input, and the 1 would be whatever the customer typed in the box. The problem with multiple products in this case is that for every individual inscription on the mug, the product is still identified as 28{3}1, and so the cart lumps them all together.

In short, in order to be able to do what you want to do, you have to change the way your site thinks about product attributes, at least in the case of the text input.

Wonderful. Any suggestions as to how I should go about doing that? And thank you for your reply.

Archived