• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Real newbie question

Trentide

When I search for code to eventually replace in my coder, I'm using Dreamweaver, the "find and replace" function never can find it. I can eventually find the code on the page, and it matches the code I placed in the finder to be found. But, somehow, the "find and replace" function never see's it. This becomes a problem when I need to find code in other pages and the entire site. Here's an example of a search:

<!-- body //-->

< table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">

< tr>

< td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

< !-- left_navigation //-->

HEELLLPPP!!! Thanks, -Jason-

Don't forget that these programs are written by humans. I use a good script editor and have had the same problem at times. I little thing like and extra space or carrying an extra character from the end of a line can do that.

The only thing I can suggest is that if your not happy with what Dreamweaver does for you, try out a dedicated script editor. The one I use was actually designed for Perl but I have no trouble using it on PHP

Just between us, remember there are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Remember, learning is a "do-it-yourself" experience; although, not necessarily a "do-it-BY-yourself" experience.

The quickest way to learn is to forget to BACKUP!

Now, when I search for this:

<!-- body //-->

It'll find it. But, when I search for this:

<!-- body //-->

< tr>

It won't. Even though the only difference is the < tr> at the end. The code that I'm looking at has a "< tr>" at the end. It also has the right amount of spaces and everything.

What could that be?

Thanks, Jason

I use just a text editor for doing find and replace stuff. I dont trust anything else. I use find to find the code, select it myself, delete it and replace the code myself. I have had to many problems in the past putting the find code in the find field and replaced code in replaced field. It always adds a line break or something in there that corrupts the code and then I have to go digging for the problem. Keep it simple, use a text editor or simple script editing software.

Archived