• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Emails

Hi Everyone!

Got a slight issue here and wondering if anyone can help.

Basically any email that is sent from our store which contains an order has a ? instead of the currency sign "?" eg. ?10.00

I've checked the admin settings and the ? sign is correct.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Apart from this my store is spot on! :)

Many thanks

Trevor

what html code did you use for the ? symbol in the currency settings? or did you just use the SHIFT 3?

You could try

? (Shift 3)

& pound; (without the space between the & and p)

& #163; (without the space between the & and #)

what html code did you use for the ? symbol in the currency settings? or did you just use the SHIFT 3?

You could try

? (Shift 3)

& pound; (without the space between the & and p)

& #163; (without the space between the & and #)

Thanks for the reply,

I did use the regular shift 3 to enter the currency initially, I tried your suggestions of & pound and & #163 which made the store actually display the ? symbol which is odd.

I've reverted back to the shift 3 method.

Thanks

Trevor

In admin, have a look at the invoice. I suppose you'd at least get a ? sign for the product price? If the others show ? instead of ?, then have a look at the order_total table in the database using phpMyadmin. Tell us more about your site: does this happen all the time, ie, ever since it was first setup, etc.

Ken

Hi Everyone!

Got a slight issue here and wondering if anyone can help.

Basically any email that is sent from our store which contains an order has a ? instead of the currency sign "?" eg. ?10.00

I've checked the admin settings and the ? sign is correct.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Apart from this my store is spot on! :)

Many thanks

Trevor

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

In admin, have a look at the invoice. I suppose you'd at least get a ? sign for the product price? If the others show ? instead of ?, then have a look at the order_total table in the database using phpMyadmin. Tell us more about your site: does this happen all the time, ie, ever since it was first setup, etc.

Ken

The currency is showing up perfectly in the invoices section, it's only in the emails sent out. I applied the CCGV (trad) contribution which broke a few things which I fixed - protx postcode & lost customer addresses. I'm not 100% sure the contribution caused the issue as I can see test emails which have the ? displaying correctly.

Does anyone else have any ideas for this?

It depends the info you post here especially if the problem is unique to your site. You have painted a confusing picture of the issue: you said the emails sent out showed ? instead of ?, but then you also said 'You can see test emails which have the ? displaying correctly'. I am afraid I do not think I understand it as 'real emails' and test emails are both using the same function within osC.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

It depends the info you post here especially if the problem is unique to your site. You have painted a confusing picture of the issue: you said the emails sent out showed ? instead of ?, but then you also said 'You can see test emails which have the ? displaying correctly'. I am afraid I do not think I understand it as 'real emails' and test emails are both using the same function within osC.

Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken,

I can perfom what I call test transactions on the site by cancelling the payment with the payment processor. This will generate and order process email with the text below (cut for brevity)

Products

------------------------------------------------------

1 x ?5 Gift Voucher (GIFT5) = ?5.00

Sub-Total: ?5.00

Total: ?5.00

now, one of the first transaction using the contribution came up with this

The Gift Voucher is worth ?5.00

To redeem this Gift Voucher, please click on the link below.

I've performed regular transactions, without using gift voucers, and still have the ? showing.

The ? is only showing in the the order process emails and nowhere else in the catalog / admin. Where should I be looking for the order process email php?

Thanks

Trevor

How are you sending your emails? HTML or plain text?

I actually have the same problem. My site shows the ? correctly but the confirmation emails are just the questionmark. When I get a bit more time I will take a better look at it and report back if you have not had the answer yet.

Emails are being sent out in plain text, the email in which the ? is showing is viewed in Outlook, but where the ? sign is visible is Gmail..........I'll test futher and report back!

EDIT - I should also add that the subject line in emails where ? is shown, the ? is displayed correctly.

Ok, this is an Outlook issue. I just completed a transaction using my gmail account - here's what I got

1 x Feather Boa (3200010100) = ?17.25

Colour Black

Sub-Total: ?17.25

Flat Rate (Best Way): ?5.00

Total: ?22.25

I'm guessing this is an Outlook issue?

Many thanks

Trevor

Archived