• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Completely lost trying to install on local pc

Hi

Would be grateful for any help! After tying myself in knots trying to install on my hosted service, thought I would try to install everything locally, build the site on the pc and then move it up.

I've fallen at the first hurdle and have searched the forum, with no joy.

Here's where I have got to:

1. downloaded xampp to local pc

2. installed xampp on local pc

3. started the services. I now have a xampp control panel which shows apache, mysql and filezilla running.

Now,

I know from what I have read I need to create a blank database. How do I do that exactly? Do I need to install other things (phpmyadmin?)? Have I installed them in the wrong place (i.e. not a root directory)? If I go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin it comes up as 'page cannot be displayed'.

I would really appreciate an idiots guide on how to do the next few steps, in order that I can install oscommerce. I am worried I have done everything wrong!

Please help!

Hi winter.

I am not familiar with xampp but, looking at their site, there are a couple of ideas.

Did you install the correct download for your os? It is a silly question, but we have all made silly mistakes.

Is it installed in the correct area of your computer (you will have to double check your installation instructions for that).

Looking at the FAQ's, at

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html#xpsp2

I noticed there are a couple of issues that may be causing the prob. Have a look through these faq's (the one re a microsoft firewall is highlighted in the url I gave).

Remember, if you do make any changes, they will not take effect until apache is turned off and on again.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

PhpMyAdmin is already installed by the prog, so it should be there.

Thanks to both of you for your help - appreciated!

I ended up downloading the files again, applying the register_globals patch and ------- after many hours of fiddling, it works!

I've read Vgers install guide - very useful - only one more question -

how do you password protect the admin folder on local pc? Do you just use the windows security under XP (around file sharing?)

Thanks for your help

Thanks to both of you for your help - appreciated!

I ended up downloading the files again, applying the register_globals patch and ------- after many hours of fiddling, it works!

I've read Vgers install guide - very useful - only one more question -

how do you password protect the admin folder on local pc? Do you just use the windows security under XP (around file sharing?)

Thanks for your help

I haven't bothered to password my development site. It's on my computer and I'm the only one with access. In Win XP you can right click the folder then the security tab and set it to private so only you have access.

There was also no need to apply the Register Globals patch. All you had to do was to go to your local php.ini file, change Register Globals to On, shut down and restart your computer.

Please remember that if you use the Register Globals patch then most Contributions won't work on your site - because they're not written to work with register Globals set to Off in php.ini.

Vger

Thanks Vger

Just a follow up - when I come to install this on the live site, iif I get register_globals error, would I apply the patch or change php.ini as you suggest? I've read a few things elsewhere on the site which hint at potential security risk if you turn register_globals on?

Not that I know anything about security ! I'm paranoid about getting attacked from outside whilst developing it locally - or- later on when I 'go live'.

Many thanks

Archived