• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Theme integration question

itwanabe

I'm sorry but if this is answered before, i didn't see it by searching!

The GOODIES: I have just got a theme done and it looks great! The designer installed it

and i'm testing things out before I give it the 100% OKAY on this project.

1) Now from my understanding, shouldn't a theme have their own folder within somewhere

in the root folder? For example, the theme is called "blueskies", shouldn't this be installed

somewhere in the root directly and retaining the folder name for future edits and or hacks?

2) Of course all themes come with ficticious category names and etc. My confusion comes

into play when I had removed all the categories within the admin GUI and made my own

cats... Why wont they show up? I still see my fictitious cats. that came with the theme?

Does this mean I need to manually edit my cats via a file everytime I need to change

something? Plus, I can't even do that because I dont know where all the files are coming from!

Could someone please answer those two questions in succesion of each other? I thought that

themes should be more organized with their own folder and that it integrates with oscommerce

(i.e cats made in the admin GUI appear live on the site).

Thank You!

:D You guys kill me. You go out and buy an oscommerce template then you come to oscommerce forum for answers when you shoud be asking the template maker and not oscommerce support forum. :blink: :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but if this is answered before, i didn't see it by searching!

The GOODIES: I have just got a theme done and it looks great! The designer installed it

and i'm testing things out before I give it the 100% OKAY on this project.

1) Now from my understanding, shouldn't a theme have their own folder within somewhere

in the root folder? For example, the theme is called "blueskies", shouldn't this be installed

somewhere in the root directly and retaining the folder name for future edits and or hacks?

2) Of course all themes come with ficticious category names and etc. My confusion comes

into play when I had removed all the categories within the admin GUI and made my own

cats... Why wont they show up? I still see my fictitious cats. that came with the theme?

Does this mean I need to manually edit my cats via a file everytime I need to change

something? Plus, I can't even do that because I dont know where all the files are coming from!

Could someone please answer those two questions in succesion of each other? I thought that

themes should be more organized with their own folder and that it integrates with oscommerce

(i.e cats made in the admin GUI appear live on the site).

Thank You!

:D

:D You guys kill me. You go out and buy an oscommerce template then you come to oscommerce forum for answers when you shoud be asking the template maker and not oscommerce support forum. :blink: :rolleyes:

:D

Thankx a lot=) I'm so glad you wasted your time answering.

template handling can run very differently even if you are on osCommerce and not a fork. There are templates working on css and php only, there is BTS and STS and there are other methods also (l for example have created my whole new templating that in only valid for ONE site though - not a one size fits all).

All have in common that they should pull info from your database and if your categories do not change you have a problem. Normally, you do not need a designer to install a purchased template unless you want to tune it, but alas he or she should be able to answer your questions.

Free help is nice on the forums but I'm sure Lola found it funny that you prefer answer for free from the forum instead of paying to get these - actually I do not think the same way as if your designer charges extra for these questions, or worse cannot answer them - being the one who can SEE the template used - you have a problem, and I feel sorry for you having chosen a person with no experience.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Archived