• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Implications of running an ecommerce site on a port other than 80?

gido

I would like to run an oscommerce site under a port other than 80 (my ISP blocks port 80). Is there anything I should watch out for? Will SSL work ok?

My plan is to create what my DNS provider calls, "WebForward". For example,

"ww2.domainname.com" points to "ip address".

"www.domainname.com" points to http://ww2.domainname.com:6000/

I would supply my SSL certificate provider with the "ww2.domainname.com" domain. Users would only need to use the "www.domainname.com".

Thank you.

I think I might have a problem with using the virtual host directive, since I use a dynamic ip. The virtual host directive wants a static ip. For example...

<VirtualHost STATIC_IP_HERE:6000>

DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/Documents/catalog"

ServerName domain.com

SSLEngine off

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost STATIC_IP_HERE:443>

ServerName domain.com

SSLEngine on

</VirtualHost>

However, it does work like this...

<VirtualHost *:6000>

ServerName domain.com

SSLEngine off

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>

ServerName domain.com

SSLEngine on

</VirtualHost>

Does anyone see any security issues using the '*' (wildcard) for the ip address?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would like to run an oscommerce site under a port other than 80 (my ISP blocks port 80). Is there anything I should watch out for? Will SSL work ok?

My plan is to create what my DNS provider calls, "WebForward". For example,

"ww2.domainname.com" points to "ip address".

"www.domainname.com" points to http://ww2.domainname.com:6000/

I would supply my SSL certificate provider with the "ww2.domainname.com" domain. Users would only need to use the "www.domainname.com".

Thank you.

a webhost that blocks port 80, and I thought I had seen it all from these hosts.

Treasurer MFC

Not a webhost. I'm hosting on my own machine.

Well, if it's your machine then do a google search on opening up ports. Hopefully you are not running any OS that's a "home" edition. Those suck when clean networking is mandatory. You should also have an easy time of manually setting a port open through your firewall. Many commercial firewalls for home use offer ways to open or block ports.

Now be careful of running a business off a cable connection, etc. You mentioned dchp so I image your personal box is at home. If you get enough traffic they'll get you for using a non-commercial pipeline. Now I just thought that the same issue applies to application and database servers. Seeing how you're using php and mySQL you're all set ... but just keep an eye on the legal issues of doing commerce from your house.

On a more serious note: I shudder to think that you're storing credit card numbers at home when the "technical" aspect for much of this escapes you. Please be careful or better yet, get a host for $5/month and fix most of your issues right away.

__

Duende

On a more serious note: I shudder to think that you're storing credit card numbers at home when the "technical" aspect for much of this escapes you. Please be careful or better yet, get a host for $5/month and fix most of your issues right away.

Who said, "the technical aspect for much of this escapes [me]"? I am a database programmer and very capable of getting an oscommerce site up and running. In fact, we are all set to go.

We're not storing any credit card information. I've installed the 'Purchase without Accout' contrib and Paypal is the only payment method we offer. All transactions will be carried out through them.

Thank you :)

Archived