• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Deleted categories & still have all 2600 products....

DaveDajew

I had the cache error which is on this thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230567

And with more research I have a better idea what I'm dealing with and need to do but I don't know how to do it!

I hit the back button after impatiently waiting for a category to delete. For those who don't know, that's a big wide open bug. There is a fix (now I know) here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112305

Since that doesn't help me now here's what it did and what I need to do:

All categories were deleted. Products were not. In the /admin summary the correct number of products show. When I click on Categories/Products, it shows 0 products. Same applies for Specials, Multiple Products, etc

In phpMyAdmin there are no categories to browse. All the products are there to browse though.

On the public catalog index, the products show up like normal. You can browse through the What's New and it's in chronological order. The quick find feature does not work.

I need to link the products to the quick find and have them show up in my catalog/admin not just the phpMyAdmin. I definitely want to go back to the category tree and have the products searchable from there, but I need to have the products searchable first. Also, google searching my site does not work. All outside links to products work.

I do have a froogle feeder set up and can re-upload from that but since it's my understanding that the catalog_txt is only instock items, all the products I have that are not on the feeder txt will not link to a category once uploaded and still will be in limbo.

HELP!

dave

I would create new categories via the oscommerce admin tool and then via PHPMyAdmin manually change the category id of each one to match the category id's of the categories you deleted.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Assuming you didn't make a backup you can ask your host if they have a backup of mysql. Otherwise you have to enter them in again. The table products_to_categories uses category_id and products_id to join them and I don't think you will find the category_id in froogle data. If you enter the categories back in then you can create a csv file category_id, products_id and import it to products_to_categories.

Assuming you didn't make a backup you can ask your host if they have a backup of mysql. Otherwise you have to enter them in again. The table products_to_categories uses category_id and products_id to join them and I don't think you will find the category_id in froogle data. If you enter the categories back in then you can create a csv file category_id, products_id and import it to products_to_categories.

Would it be possible to get just the categories from a back-up without re-instating the entire catalog?

The backup is a couple weeks old and it's not the products I'm worrying about, it's the new customer information.

Open your backup sql file with a text editor like wordpad and do a search for "insert into categories". Run those lines, and only those lines, as commands on your database and your categories will be restored to how they were at the time you took the backup.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Open your backup sql file with a text editor like wordpad and do a search for "insert into categories". Run those lines, and only those lines, as commands on your database and your categories will be restored to how they were at the time you took the backup.

Let me get this straight before doing it:

copy the "insert into categories" line and run them as commands in the phpMyAdmin section in the SQL tab?

Archived