• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Moving entire site to new domain.

scottydog72

hi Im completing my first site but so far its running under my own domian, at some point i need to transfer all files to a new domain hosted by the same server, Iv got a bad feeling that I might have to start again as the php / sql embeds on instalation, can anyone shed any light on this.

Cheers SCotty

hi Im completing my first site but so far its running under my own domian, at some point i need to transfer all files to a new domain hosted by the same server, Iv got a bad feeling that I might have to start again as the php / sql embeds on instalation, can anyone shed any light on this.

Cheers SCotty

Just a tip for posting here and elsewhere, be careful of the terms you use or people will have trouble understanding your needs. You need to do nothing to move a domain apart from editing the DNS but I assume you mean moving the site data to a new host.

You shouldn't have any problem moving to a new host, the only settings are in the configure.php files and the configuration setting which you can change in the admin before you move as the site is not dependant on the name.

You export the SQL, move the files, inport the SQL into the new database then edit your configure.php to represent your new paths and domain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.

Just a tip for posting here and elsewhere, be careful of the terms you use or people will have trouble understanding your needs. You need to do nothing to move a domain apart from editing the DNS but I assume you mean moving the site data to a new host.

You shouldn't have any problem moving to a new host, the only settings are in the configure.php files and the configuration setting which you can change in the admin before you move as the site is not dependant on the name.

You export the SQL, move the files, inport the SQL into the new database then edit your configure.php to represent your new paths and domain.

Hi

I have a site hosted on say abc.co.uk connected to a sql database at 213.111.111.111 i now want to move this site to xyz.co.uk connected to the same sql database.

Do i install it on the new domain xyz.co.uk and then copy the files from \catalog abc.co.uk to xyz.co.uk and then edit the config.php.

Thanks

James

Cheers for that Scotty.

Archived