• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reduced Canadian GST (6%) calculates incorrectly for Ontario

rforeman

I have almost everything working here: http://kingwestflowers.com/catalog/.

The tax (Canada & Ontario) works fine at 7% GST and 8% PST but when I change the 7% to 6% the total tax calculates correctly but the breakdown of GST and PST is wrong.

Example:

Sale: $100.00

GST: $6.53 (should be: $6.00)

PST: $7.47 (should be : $8.00)

Total: $114.00 Correct

We have searched in many of the php files where the calculations are made and can't find a solution. There must be somebody who has this working in Canada; the tax went down from 7% to 6% July 1/06.

Have delved into the code for hours and am about to give up and move on; can't get this to work. Can anybody help?

Ron Foreman

Ron Foreman

EmpowerYou

(647) 999-8543

You need to go into your Admin Tax Rates and set GST / PST etc ... each to tax priority 1 (one)

Tax rates at the same priority are added, others are compounded.

Also check your order total modules and make sure the sort order is something like:

Subtotal of sort order 1

than ...

Total somewhere after subtotal

Shipping somewhere after Total

Tax somewhere after all those afore mentioned.

ie: Tax Module

Total Module

Shipping Module

Tax Module

You should be ok after checking those things.

I have almost everything working here: http://kingwestflowers.com/catalog/.

The tax (Canada & Ontario) works fine at 7% GST and 8% PST but when I change the 7% to 6% the total tax calculates correctly but the breakdown of GST and PST is wrong.

Example:

Sale: $100.00

GST: $6.53 (should be: $6.00)

PST: $7.47 (should be : $8.00)

Total: $114.00 Correct

We have searched in many of the php files where the calculations are made and can't find a solution. There must be somebody who has this working in Canada; the tax went down from 7% to 6% July 1/06.

Have delved into the code for hours and am about to give up and move on; can't get this to work. Can anybody help?

Ron Foreman

Thank you insomniac2 for trying to help.

Unfortunately your recommendations didn't work. The priority has always been 1 for both taxes so they are added not compounded.

And I tried different sort orders for the Order Total modules but the result is always the same:

The calculation is always correct at 7% GST and 8% PST, but at 6% GST and 8% PST, while the total is correct, the breakdown is always incorrect in the same ratio:

GST: 7/15 x 14 instead of 6/14 x 14, and

PST: 8/15 x 14 instead of 8/14 x 14

As if the 7% was embedded in the code?

????

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!

You need to go into your Admin Tax Rates and set GST / PST etc ... each to tax priority 1 (one)

Tax rates at the same priority are added, others are compounded.

Also check your order total modules and make sure the sort order is something like:

Subtotal of sort order 1

than ...

Total somewhere after subtotal

Shipping somewhere after Total

Tax somewhere after all those afore mentioned.

ie: Tax Module

Total Module

Shipping Module

Tax Module

You should be ok after checking those things.

Ron Foreman

EmpowerYou

(647) 999-8543

Thank you insomniac2 for trying to help.

Unfortunately your recommendations didn't work. The priority has always been 1 for both taxes so they are added not compounded.

And I tried different sort orders for the Order Total modules but the result is always the same:

The calculation is always correct at 7% GST and 8% PST, but at 6% GST and 8% PST, while the total is correct, the breakdown is always incorrect in the same ratio:

GST: 7/15 x 14 instead of 6/14 x 14, and

PST: 8/15 x 14 instead of 8/14 x 14

As if the 7% was embedded in the code?

????

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!

FOUND IT!!

In catalog/includes/classes/order_total.php, lines 69 and 70 had the formulae: 7/15 and 8/15. I changed them to 6/14 and 8/14.

Ron Foreman

EmpowerYou

(647) 999-8543

Archived