• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change Product Title Length

Branden

You have to modify the database. You need to backup your database before doing this! It shouldn't messup your database but it could. OSC's default is set to 64 characters. I have it set to change to 100 but you could make it more. Open up your database with a program like phpmyadmin and click on sql. Insert the code below and click go.

ALTER TABLE products_description MODIFY products_name varchar(100);

I tested it on my store and it works but I put in like 85 characters and it messed up my table. I don't know if it's something I did or you have to change something else to get it to display properly?

Other great Open Source (Free) programs: (Free as in free speech not free beer)

The Gimp - An image program. | Firefox - All you have to do is add the Web Developer add-on to make this web browser complete. | FileZilla - An ftp program. | Inkscape - A good program to create images with. | Thunderbird - An email program. | Openoffice.org - An office suite that is compatible with MS Office. | Abiword - Another office suite. | Audacity - A sound recording tool. | ddp's Picks | Wordpress - An easy to use blogging software. | Joomla - An easy to use CMS that has ecommerce plug-ins. | Drupal - Another CMS

How do I find these programs? Google Search!

I strongly suggest you change BOTH product name related fields to hold the same characters. The second products_name column is in th orders_products table. A simple seach on the oscommerce.sql file shows this.

It's extremely important so keep the current database structure (without data, export just the structure in phpmyadmin) available fpr reference at all times.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

To make monika happy you will also have to run this:

ALTER TABLE orders_products MODIFY products_name varchar(100);

Other great Open Source (Free) programs: (Free as in free speech not free beer)

The Gimp - An image program. | Firefox - All you have to do is add the Web Developer add-on to make this web browser complete. | FileZilla - An ftp program. | Inkscape - A good program to create images with. | Thunderbird - An email program. | Openoffice.org - An office suite that is compatible with MS Office. | Abiword - Another office suite. | Audacity - A sound recording tool. | ddp's Picks | Wordpress - An easy to use blogging software. | Joomla - An easy to use CMS that has ecommerce plug-ins. | Drupal - Another CMS

How do I find these programs? Google Search!

yep, it's extremely important to keep Monika happy, or she will magically disappear (***insert evil laugh in background***)

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Archived