• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL noob here... do I really need it if payments are all paypal?

HMS Bounty

people still need to enter their personal information on your site. if i go to a site and personal info is asked for, if no ssl i leave and never go back. and for 80 to 110 (depending upon what you get) per year not a bad investment. dont get a cheap ssl, they dont work, and if you change hosting companies, if you do get the cheap ones, they will not reissue them.

Here is a contribution I made for your exact situation.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4552

Other great Open Source (Free) programs: (Free as in free speech not free beer)

The Gimp - An image program. | Firefox - All you have to do is add the Web Developer add-on to make this web browser complete. | FileZilla - An ftp program. | Inkscape - A good program to create images with. | Thunderbird - An email program. | Openoffice.org - An office suite that is compatible with MS Office. | Abiword - Another office suite. | Audacity - A sound recording tool. | ddp's Picks | Wordpress - An easy to use blogging software. | Joomla - An easy to use CMS that has ecommerce plug-ins. | Drupal - Another CMS

How do I find these programs? Google Search!

A decent ssl certificate can be purchased for as little as $30.

If you are serious about your store is this too much to invest?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

It would be better to have an ssl but it is nice to have an option.

The Gimp - An image program. | Firefox - All you have to do is add the Web Developer add-on to make this web browser complete. | FileZilla - An ftp program. | Inkscape - A good program to create images with. | Thunderbird - An email program. | Openoffice.org - An office suite that is compatible with MS Office. | Abiword - Another office suite. | Audacity - A sound recording tool. | ddp's Picks | Wordpress - An easy to use blogging software. | Joomla - An easy to use CMS that has ecommerce plug-ins. | Drupal - Another CMS

With Internet Fraud rising by over 22% here in the UK in the last year, and more in other countries my view is that if someone is serious about wanting me to buy on their website then they had better have SSL. No SSL - No Buy!

Vger

So what you saying is anyone who has paypal standard with paypal buy now buttons will not make a sale. If you had an html website with paypal buy now buttons there is no way you could use an ssl.

I wouldn't buy off an html site with Pay Pal 'Buy Now' buttons because they'd be far too amateurish for me to give my money to.

Any commercial website owner knows (or will learn) that the ability to collect customer data and tell them about new products and/or special offers via Newsletters is a vital part of running a successful online business. If you never collect any data you are missing one of the most vital marketing tools a site owner has.

Vger

So what you saying is anyone who has paypal standard with paypal buy now buttons will not make a sale. If you had an html website with paypal buy now buttons there is no way you could use an ssl.

(Newbie here) OK, so I'm checking out my hosting. In my CPanel it has an SSL manager, when I click on that is says:

Private Keys (KEY)

Certificate Signing Requests (CSR)

Certificates (CRT)

Now what?

I asked my hosting company. Here's their reply:

We do offer and install SSL's tailored to your domain name (https://mydomain.com), and these require a dedicated IP as well.

However, we also have our Shared SSL available at no extra cost.

Again...now what?

Archived