• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Default language problem

Hi... I posted yesterday about an error about orders not showing up and an error appearing when I try to edit the clients account... And I decided to reinstall.

Now the thing is:

Everything works great until I install Romanian as the deulat language.

Although the new language is set as default, the site openes in english. So, I deleted English from Admin and i thought it's ok. But now, orders don't show up in the admin side... although the checkout process seems to work all the way to the end.

So, I re-added english, left romanian as default and the site still opens in English, but I get Product not found and the categories box is empty - switch to Romanian and the products and categories appear but the orders still don't show up in asdmin.

I have absolutely no clue what to do!!! I have another oscommerce shop - there everything has been working ok since last year, I don't have this problem...

Please, any one, help! Because i have to open this new store in 2-3 weeks and if the problem persists i don't see how.

Thank you!

When you delete a language these steps are performed on the database

tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where language_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where language_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS . " where language_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS_VALUES . " where language_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where languages_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_ORDERS_STATUS . " where language_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");
	tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_LANGUAGES . " where languages_id = '" . (int)$lID . "'");

This is why when you deleted english then added it back that your categories box was empty

what do you have for this in your includes/languages/romanian.php

// Global entries for the <html> tag
define('HTML_PARAMS','dir="LTR" lang="en"');

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Well, in romanian.php I have that line commetnted out and under it the one for Romanian.

// Global entries for the <html> tag

//define('HTML_PARAMS','dir="LTR" lang="en"');

define('HTML_PARAMS','dir="LTR" lang="ro"');

I deleted everything now and i asked my host to move the site to another server - this one was on php5. It will be now on another server, where I have my other shop and hopefully I won't have these problems after installing. (Because i used the same version of Oscomm for the new shop, the same, files, everything is the same except the server.)

I'll be back if the problem reappears.

Thank you for your quick answer.

what version of osCommerce did you have installed as only the latest versions are php5 compliant

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

I've changed servers, now i have php 4.4.4. And when I set the default language Romanian, but when I eneter the site it comes up in english... I'm afraid to delete English (I know then it openes in Romanian) because i suspect I won't be able to have orders...

In what language does it open for you? Romanian IS DEFAULT.

See here the site.

And now I notice that when I click this link, it openes in Romanian... but if I type in my browser -IE or FF - the address it openes in English... I'm really puzzled!!!

the site opens in english from the link you've provided - i am based in the UK. When I select Romanian the site correctly changes it language and keeps it like that. I have cookies enbabled.

Have you tried to delete cookies in IE and FF, also you must open your site from a link WITHOUT a session ID.

Yes, I've tried deleting cookies and everything is the same. As for the session ID...I have no clue how that works, what it is, so how to open my site without it. :D

RE. session IDs: It's ok not to know how they work and how to get them to work, as long as you have cookies enforced for your site! However, this has some disadvantages, so I strongly suggest to read up about them. And then try to make your site session friendly. One current problem you have got is that you are loosing your session ID through some links in the green box in your header - but I don't think that this fully explains the language problem you're having....

No, it's not the header, because I had the problems even before I changed header.php

I've been reading the forums about this problem, more people have it, but no answers...

At least does any one have a solution for this???

Would it be ok if I used english but with romanian text??? Because I really don't know what to do. It ewould be nice to have a solution, other people need it for sure

Thank you.

It might fix the symptoms but not the problem. I never looked into this but i suppose it's worth a try as a last resort. But do delete all other languages and the language box.

But please take my advice and enforce cookies on your site until you know how to incorporate these within links.

If I delete the other languages... categories disspear and orders don't appear any more in admin and don't come by email.

I've enforced cookies and still the same situation.

Oh, and although I added romanian for admin, too, it's still in english...

admin has got it's own language folders 'n' files

maybe there's a problem with the romanian language contribution. Is it complete? Try and compare with e.g. the dutch or french language files and sql file.

Yes, I know admin language files are seperate. And no, it's not a problem with the language pack - I'm using the same language pack as in my other store - www.muccelmic.com and there everything works just fine.

No, I'm not developing local. And the other languages are there because I uninstalled and installed again... and still no change...

It's so frustrating!

I'll install all over again, maybe I've missed something, though I don't think so, because I have a friend having the exact same problem right now with another site using oscomm and Romanian.

Oh, now I see... somene was kind enough to mess with my admin section - I didn't password protect it because I kept installing and uninstalling... Thank you so much! I was unisntalling any way...

What would be the disadvantages of using english files with romanian text in them? You know, english.php for example to have romanian translated text in it?

Since it works on your other site it should work on this site, too. Are the admin settings the same? Could it have anything to do with locality settings - just guessing, never looked into installing other languages.

I can't see any major disadvantages by using the enlish files with romanian translation.

BTW You're loosing your sessionIDs with the header links on your other site as well.

I guess for this new site I'll use English (translated ofcourse...)

As for my other site... what should I do about those session ID's? It's a bit too much for me, but if you tell me how a correct link would look like, I'm sure I'll manage to get all of them right. Thank you!

Oh, and a quick question, maybe you know the answer... how come my forum has PR 4 and the site is only 1??? It used to be ridirected once (had the shop in catalog/ , moved it to root) - but it's been a while since I modified that. What else could the problem be? Thanks for this too, in advance :)

I guess for this new site I'll use English (translated ofcourse...)

As for my other site... what should I do about those session ID's? It's a bit too much for me, but if you tell me how a correct link would look like, I'm sure I'll manage to get all of them right. Thank you!

Oh, and a quick question, maybe you know the answer... how come my forum has PR 4 and the site is only 1??? It used to be ridirected once (had the shop in catalog/ , moved it to root) - but it's been a while since I modified that. What else could the problem be? Thanks for this too, in advance :)

A link in PHP using the osc tep_href_link function would look something like this:

echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link($filename) . '">' . $link_name . '</a>';

My menu is dynamically generated, but the variables $filename and $linkname should speak for themselves.

Or an image with a link to a page opened with SSL encryption:

echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(IMAGE, ALT) . '</a>'

Sorry, don't know much about page ranking and SEO... but have you checked back-links to your site and forum?

Or an image with a link to a page opened with SSL encryption:

echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(IMAGE, ALT) . '</a>'

Sorry, don't know much about page ranking and SEO... but have you checked back-links to your site and forum?

test this post

Thank you very very much! Even if I didn't manage to solve my default language problem at least I've learned something important about sessions and I'll apply it.

As for the SEO problem, I have for the site 11200 pages indexed and 111 backlinks.

And for the forum... 148 backlinks and 11100 pages indexed.

I've managed to solve the problem some how, not so sure how: But this is what I did

Romanian was set as default. I renamed romanian.php and languages/romanian ro english.php and languages/english

and the site opened ofcourse in romanian.

Then, I switched to default English.

And the site still opened in romanian.

And I thought: oh, well, I'll use english with romanian text in the files...

But then I discovered an error, an extra ' in products_new. It should have been in includes/languages/english/ but when i looked closer... it was in includes/languages/romanian. Strange, don't you think, since english is default?

So, suddenly, Romanian became default without setting this in admin. Plus, I only renamed romanian to english in catalog, not in admin, but I also have admin in romanian now.... I have absolutely no clue what happens but it would e nice if someone figured hat out, for other people with the same problem...

Archived