• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My First OSC Site

firstfloorstudios

I kinda like it..love the header image of the swimming fish..but what products I skimmed throught they were no descriptions and as you said no pics yet. Also no SSL and there is a few default gifs that I would remove 1 in the specials and the other on your login page and on the homepage.

Well, it looks nice but actually I'm surprised you got your topic approved. There is no info about powered by osC which I thought was a requirement for posting in this forum for feedback.

You know it yourself, without images it's pretty hard to tell anything about the look and feel.

Just a few things. You offer maintenance services but don't state in which area. You charge for using paypal but not for CC. I'm sure you pay processing fees for CC too. I would calculate that into the price. Anyway, shipping and handling seems to be quite complicated and rather costly when using the airfreight method.

I couldn't find your business address or any kind of information where your merchandise is from.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

It says powered by oscommerce at the very bottom on all the oscommerce driven pages, just scroll down :)

yeah its actually my brother business i just designed the site so i pretty much just put up what he asked for but now that you mention it yes he should have put where he does maintenance (which is dfw texas) and his business address. The thing is most of the people that will order from this site are avid fish enthusiast's and they know what they are looking for, but we are working on getting all the pictures up asap. I am just a neat freak with sites so i have to make sure every picture is the same size so everything looks uniform, and thats a lot of work if you can imagine cropping and sizing over 500 product pictures. But it will get done.

the paypal fee's are actually getting taken off because they charge about the same as the cc company does. that was his idea, i worked for who knows how long getting the fee integrated and then it doesn't even get used, figures right? lol

yeah there are some images that still need replacing, he was in a big rush to get it up so i had to focus on the important bits first.

Must have overlooked the powered by...

For the images that need to be replaced, an easy way is to replace them with transparent pixel gif until you've got the proper ones sorted out.

I couldn't find any product with an image already uploaded so can't tell you if they are good or not.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Good design work. A very professional looking site, but could probably use more info on the homepage. I loved the fish, but as I was navigating through the site, they started pissing me off. To much sudden movement. In my opinion they would be too distracting. If you're keeping a plain homepage, I'd recommend keeping them on the homepage, and switching to a solid pic for all other pages, ESPECIALLY product pages.

I agree with the previous post about getting rid of the fish on most pages.

You might want to install a meta tags contribution and Ultimate SEO urls for better Search engine placement.

Generally your design is very good. You might also want to get rid of the stock images like the one on the home page. They don't fit the rest of your design.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

I agree with the previous post about getting rid of the fish on most pages.

You might want to install a meta tags contribution and Ultimate SEO urls for better Search engine placement.

Generally your design is very good. You might also want to get rid of the stock images like the one on the home page. They don't fit the rest of your design.

Well when it comes down to it, the site owner has the final say and he wants to keep the fish on all the pages, according to him his target audience appreciates it, and it is not a distraction...

anyways i appreciate all the input, i should have ssl working soon since i figured it out on my 2nd osc site which i've put up for review (pending approval) so check that out and let me know what you think :)

Archived