• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce right for this?

Hi,

A client of mine needs me to make some changes to his site when it gets redesigned later this year. He wants a basic level of online ordering made available to his stockists.

Thing is he doesn't actually want to sell off the site, just give a user the ability to look through his ranges, pick stuff they want (individual products and quantity) and put that in to a shopping cart then, when they've got it all picked, they'd actually send that shopping cart list on as an email rather than go through any sort of online purchasing. This is all because the stock levels my client keeps varies regularly, he publishes and sells greeting cards and, when there are sufficient orders, reprints cards as required to fill the order. Therefore any sort of online stock level indication would always be inaccurate. Plus every purchaser gets a different price on the product dependent on what deal they have with my client so the online catalogue wouldn't carry any pricing either.

It's literally a matter of a site user being able to pick whichever cards they want (from over 10,000 I think), the quantity, then send that 'pro forma' order on to my client as an email for his staff to further process.

Is osCommerce a suitable package for this or overkill? If the latter can anyone suggest, please, a more simple route.

Finally I'm a designer - I can handle installing and maintaining PHP stuff in as much as I've done a few bulletin boards and a membership/subscriptions package but all are from off the shelf programs like this. How easy is osCommerce to set up and integrate with a site that already exists (all HTML)?

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
You will need to make some major modifications, but it can be done.

I don't believe that they are major modifications in my opinion.

There is a contrib that has Quicken connected so that your store computer register is connected to it as well as your oscommerce is connected to it. They handshake and relate to each other their purchases and inventory increases.

I've never used it though.

Aside from that, it would still be overkill.

A better way I think, would be to do as you said. A site with pictures and descriptions of each, have someone program a form with automatic email connected, and you'd probably be better off.

Creating a site like that would probably be about $50 for the form and about $200 for a simple site where he'd teach you how to add new products as you go.

man of a reformed faith.

Creating a site like that would probably be about $50 for the form and about $200 for a simple site where he'd teach you how to add new products as you go.

I'd like to see a competent PHP programmer who would do this for $250. Maybe if it were outsourced with no reliability or guarantees, you MIGHT get a working form and process for $250.

I'd like to see a competent PHP programmer who would do this for $250. Maybe if it were outsourced with no reliability or guarantees, you MIGHT get a working form and process for $250.

Anyone can make a form, a programmer that charges 50/hour could do what he needs in about an hour.

A website simple enough for just displaying the products and a brief right-up underneath each could be done in nuke with a sommaire menu or worse yet; frontpage. Over charging the job which is what webdevelopers do, is a side issue dependant upon who you get. My comment was the barebones fact of showing the items, not about designing an awesome amazon or barnesandnoble 2 month project.

Please be mature and make positive posts in this forum, not daring remarks, thx.

man of a reformed faith.

Archived