• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is the best way to create a dev site

mbuswell

Hi all

I have now turned my shop live and don't want to be testing on my live site.

Since I have done a lot of edits and applied a number of contributions (which I am not sure i could reproduce exactly again, plus some contributions take a lot of time to implement) I would like to simply create a copy of my existing database and updated site, and then be able to use this for development.

I would think that i could export the DB, import it to a new DB, and copy over the php files - but i am not sure exactly if this will work or how to do it using myPHPAdmin.

Also I run OS X and I see lots of advise about using merging tools but they are windows based, anyone have a good one for OS X.

Hi all

I have now turned my shop live and don't want to be testing on my live site.

Since I have done a lot of edits and applied a number of contributions (which I am not sure i could reproduce exactly again, plus some contributions take a lot of time to implement) I would like to simply create a copy of my existing database and updated site, and then be able to use this for development.

I would think that i could export the DB, import it to a new DB, and copy over the php files - but i am not sure exactly if this will work or how to do it using myPHPAdmin.

Also I run OS X and I see lots of advise about using merging tools but they are windows based, anyone have a good one for OS X.

I just make a backup of my database in the admin panel, then down a copy of all files via FTP. If i need to reinstall then it's just a matter of uploading all files and do a restore database from backup.

My Contributions

Stylesheet With Descriptions Glassy Grey Boxtops Our Products Meta Tags On The Fly

Password Protect Admin

"No matter where you go....There you are" - Buccaroo Bonsai

i usually have my site live, have another password protected test site... when i'm happy with the test site, i upload over my live site... i also keep backup of my previous sites on my hard disk so that i can edit php files quickly and easily.

i usually have my site live, have another password protected test site... when i'm happy with the test site, i upload over my live site... i also keep backup of my previous sites on my hard disk so that i can edit php files quickly and easily.

How to you deal with when you add contributions that change the database?

Do you just add them to your test site and then do the same again on your production site?

What I really need to do right now, is be able to duplicate my database so that i can create a good copy of my live site. As I don't think i could recreate all the DB changes that have been done in building out the live site.

Archived