• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

General question

martinstan

Hi

I'm still finding my feet a bit with oscommerce but knocked out by it to be honest...especially the contribs.

Anyhow I've just created a site that I've spent a lot of time developing(commenting out various things and adding contribs)and whoopydoo someone likes the site so much that they want one just like it. Well except for the obvious i.e. images, logo etc...

Is it just a case of me dragging all the files from the first site into the root of the new site and it will just work or will I need to make sitewide changes to one, two or most files? I'm particularly concerned about connection to the database. I know this is a bit of a sweeping question, but has anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks

Martin

You want this friend of yours to have a website just like yours?

Well, yes, copy your files onto his server, and copy your database, as well. Then make sure the host he/she is using has the same type of systems and support as the host you use. Assuming they're nearly identical hosts, he/she will have the same store as you.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

You want this friend of yours to have a website just like yours?

Well, yes, copy your files onto his server, and copy your database, as well. Then make sure the host he/she is using has the same type of systems and support as the host you use. Assuming they're nearly identical hosts, he/she will have the same store as you.

Hi Jason

hehehe..sorry my question must have been a bit misleading.

No what I mean is I picked up a client that likes the way the site works and wants me to do them a site just like it...so in effect most of the hard work is done. Your answer does raise the point I was trying to figure out though in regards to the database. Everything for the new site is now installed on the server. I have a database setup and the 'virgin' catalog folder too. So what I'm getting at is which files can I litterly just drag over and replace without effecting the database connection? You see I've also made a few comments in the admin area too...of course leaving the oscommerce footers in tact.

Thanks

Martin

Archived