• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Conversion Rate thread Tips & Tricks

After concentrating on getting traffic to my website since it went online. I?ve realised that my conversion rate is terrible. The conversion rate of a website is perhaps even more important than getting the traffic. As whats the point in spending money and effort on getting traffic through adwords or hours of SEO and link building if you cant convert it into sales. Im sure all osCommerce website owners would like to improve there conversion rates. So Ive started this thread so we can discuss it and hopefully improve all of our conversion rates.

To workout my conversion rate I have taken the number of sales in Aug and divided it by the same months unique visitors taken from webalizer (installed in cpannel by hosting provider) stats. This gave me 0.0036, which is terrible, abysmal even! Maybe Im missing something and webalizer stats aren?t good to use as they include bots or something? Anyone have a better way of working out conversion rates?

So Ive done some research and started trying to improve my websites conversion rate. Firstly I reviewed my site and found that Im competitively priced and the search terms bringing traffic are appropriate. So Ive tried to improve its design and am adding fast easy checkout. I adding fast easy checkout as lots of research says that there is a funnel/cone affect from customers adding to the cart to completing the transaction. The less steps this takes the less sales are lost along the way. Im also going to put an info box with the shipping costs in the right column so that no mater where the visitor lands on the site they know the shipping costs. At the moment I only have the ?free shipping on orders over ?50? on the front page. I have read that you should think of every page on your site as a potential landing page. Therefore you need to provide the potential customer with some reason the buy from you on every page.

From a bit of research on conversion rates I?ve read that ecommerce sites can expect 1% up to 8% for sites like newegg. What else can I do to get me conversion rate up to at least 1%?

What are your conversion rates?

So please if anyone has anything to say about conversion rates, please post.

I had read somewhre about 3% - 10% conversion rates being the norm. But I think that good conversion rates will vary depending on what it is you're selling.

Like with me, I sell digital music downloads and the conversion rate for that is not so great right now. But that's because the overall market that I'm in is not experiencing great conversion rates unless you're Apple or eMusic.

My sales have been increasing steadily, and right now I'm more concerned with branding my site in it's niche space than with actual sales at the moment. It's my investment in the future.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

Convertion rates are also affected by how someone finds your web site.

If the main part of your traffic comes from:

- higly targetet links

and/or

- highly targeted ads

and/or

- highly targeted and relevant keywords

Then you should easily have a conversion rate over 1%

On the other hand if most of your traffic comes from:

- very generic/general keywords searches

and/or

- traffic exchange networks

Then you are very lucky if you can reach a convertion rate of even 1%

Both points are valid. The range of average conversion rates does seam to vary based on each industry. Although I think a 1% conversion rate seams to be a realistic target for most ecommerce shops, well that’s what Im aiming for. Mediajuggle, do you know what your own conversion rate is and would you share it with us?

toyicebear, what you have said has got to be a very important factor with conversion rates. I’ve never understood traffic exchange programs as untargeted traffic seams worthless to me.

For my own site I have looked into the keywords that drive traffic to my site and they appear to be ideal because of the relevancy. However, I do think that my conversion rate figures are affected by being a UK store but getting worldwide traffic. Most of what I sell is to heavy to ship worldwide but the search engines are returning my site for non-UK searches. So thinking about it, if I only include my UK traffic in the calculation then my conversion rate would be 0.024%. Is this a truer figure!?!?

I still think that there has to be some factor with my site that Im overlooking which is causing this low conversion rate. Maybe Im wrong at its my industry norm to have a low conversion rate. (a link to my site is in my profile if anyone cares to look)

wooops, Im an idiot! I have got my conversion figures completely wrong. Doh.

In my first post I said 0.0036 that should be 0.36% (all traffic included)

In my second post I said 0.024 that should be 2.4% (UK traffic only)

Panic over my conversion rate is actually pretty good when only including UK visitors to the site. Although with what I?ve learnt from my research I could improve it. Maybe 3.5% is a good target to set myself now.

Do you think its fair not to included non-uk traffic in my calculations?

These two contributions should also help improve conversion rates:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1781

Shows shipping cost in cart so a customer knows the total cost before going through checkout/create account process.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2507

or

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1621

Both of the above inform customers about stock levels, etc

My convertion rates goes up and down daily from 0.5 - 1, i get around 500-700 unique visitors a day, sometime my daily rate is 0% but the next day i could get 7 sales and make well over ?250.00 so i really do not care for convertion rates. what i do like to do is keep a track of is how much i need to make each month then set myself a target to beat it.

The reason i say this is because my products start at ?1.99 so not much profit then it can go up to ?500.00 for a item and a make a tad more, so if i had a convertion rate of 10% but it was all at ?1.99 items i would not be choosing the colour to my new sports car just yet.

Regards

That’s true but perhaps the amount each customer spends is the next progression or another issue.

e.g. get traffic to website -> convert to sales -> try to raise average selling price -> get rich -> retire

If you just checked it now its because Im doing a full backup which is killing the server, lol. I actually signed up to some free trial with a company that monitors your sites uptime and download speeds. As part of that they bench mark it against some competitors. My site did really well so Ive checked that area out already.

Once you have their email address even for a ?1.99 item, thats when i get to work sending them newsletters and sometimes that turns into a ?200.00 sale, so every little bit helps.

e.g. get traffic to website -> convert to sales -> try to raise average selling price -> get rich -> retire

Or

e.g. get traffic to website -> convert to sales -> spend all the profits on google ads and some rubbish stock-> go bust -> stressed and die young : )

I think when calculating the conversion rate you have to include all the unique visitors. If you get a lot of clicks from outside your target group, you have to improve this area.

Over the last days I started to put google adwords. My market is absolutely niche and the target group is very small. My aim right now is to get potential customers attention and getting them to recommend the site to people from the target group.

My first attempts with adwords were just useless as it got me clicks from people who just can't buy from me as I don't ship outside Ireland. Had a look into shipping to UK and will be offering this for lightweight orders. After changing my adwords keywords, the click through rate improved and people even started to look around in my shop.

So basically I would start analysing what the visitors are doing on your site. Are they leaving immediately or are they actively looking at products, even putting them in the cart? That's where you have to look for improvements. Google analytics is quite nice for this.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

I see what your saying about the traffic, but I have no control over google thinking of my site as international when its UK only. (well maybe some of its my link building being international and messing up googles geotargeting for my site)

Ive got a Google analytics code but arnt sure whether to use it or not. Do you have it installed on your site abra123cadabra? What do you think of it? Does it slow your site down much? Would you recomend that I use it?

It's not about google showing your page as a result. The bit that you can try to influence is, is what the user get's displayed as a search result. If there is any hint about your company only serving UK customers, they might not click it if they are in China.

I'm using google analytics and it's not slowing down. I added it to the footer.php in an if clause depending on the page shown being SSL or non-SSL.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

• 6 months later...

Archived