• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

traffic spike causes orders to be switched

Joe Murray

A colleague who uses osCommerce for a record sales site ran into problems in the last few days when his traffic spiked by an order of magnitude. Any advice for this non-techie, who describes his problem like this:

"I have isolated two separate problems with my (very limited) understanding of how OS Commerce works.

"One problem is strictly with regard to paypal orders - sometimes they come through via paypal but are not logged in OS Commerce, so we have no idea what people are paying for. This problem has always been with us from the start. It's a hassle, but not too bad.

"With the "spike" of traffic this last few days another problem appeared: we had about 10 users on line at the same time and at checkout some people got their orders crossed with others, so that several orders were jumbled together, and others attributed to the wrong user. This was obviously a much more severe bug... "

My suspicion is that either there is a memory problem or osCommerce is not engineered for this level of concurrence, which would be strange.

TIA

Archived