• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

paypal problems

brocky

can somebody please help me?

when customers pay for products using paypal the transaction doesn't appear in the customers orders part of the site, the number of products they have ordered aren't taken off the site and i don't recieve an email for the purchase. Yet if people pay for their items using cheque or postal order everything is fine.

Does anyone know how i can fix this? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

They are probably not returning to your site after paying. Try installing the oscommerce_paypal_ipn contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

They are probably not returning to your site after paying. Try installing the oscommerce_paypal_ipn contribution.

Jack

going to say the same thing.... paypal should send the customer back to your site after payment is complete... it will also transfere the payment details at the same time.....

Try the IPN and see if that makes a diference....

going to say the same thing.... paypal should send the customer back to your site after payment is complete... it will also transfere the payment details at the same time.....

Try the IPN and see if that makes a diference....

o.k. what is the ipn?

o.k. what is the ipn?

Okay - I'm getting to be an expert on this. Your customer HAS to return to your shop in order for the order details to be transferred back to the OS commerce store. If you go into your paypal account and select your Profile, then Web Payment Prefs (in the third column over), you may select Auto Return. This will send the customer back to the shop after the transaction is complete. UNLESS you have selected also "Account Optional" or whatever they call it. This is what allows your customer to process their credit card through paypal without having to JOIN paypal. If you choose this, out of courtesy to your customer (realizing that some people will simply not buy, rather than join paypal), the Auto Return WILL NOT WORK. When it does not work, not only do you not get the payment and order details, your customer will NOT get the Process Order email that gives them the details of their purchase. And because they are not paypal members, they will not be able to get details from PayPal either. This is the dark side of using paypal.

All paypal does for you if you have the "Account optional" turned on, is to put a dinky little blue link at the bottom of the Thank you for your payment page - it says "return to merchant." But that smacks of "return to shopping" and people won't do it. So you will, for sure, lose all your order detail. I have written Paypal about this and I WISH EVERYBODY WOULD. It's possible that this was an oversight. I hope so. I hope they are not so self-serving as to have done this on purpose. If we write them, they may change it. I have, meanwhiile, plastered my store with reminders: PLEASE RETURN TO MERCHANT SO THAT YOUR ORDER WILL BE PROCESSED CORRECTLY. But I have little hope of that actually happening.

I would love to know if the IPN or whatever actually works. Somebody who knows, PLEASE tell us????

This forum is so terribly huge, I'm afraid things like this get lost. There are a few people who are the knowledge core, and then the rest of us who are user-bumblers. I'm hoping this catches the attention of somebody who knows this stuff.

Okay - I'm getting to be an expert on this. Your customer HAS to return to your shop in order for the order details to be transferred back to the OS commerce store. If you go into your paypal account and select your Profile, then Web Payment Prefs (in the third column over), you may select Auto Return. This will send the customer back to the shop after the transaction is complete. UNLESS you have selected also "Account Optional" or whatever they call it. This is what allows your customer to process their credit card through paypal without having to JOIN paypal. If you choose this, out of courtesy to your customer (realizing that some people will simply not buy, rather than join paypal), the Auto Return WILL NOT WORK. When it does not work, not only do you not get the payment and order details, your customer will NOT get the Process Order email that gives them the details of their purchase. And because they are not paypal members, they will not be able to get details from PayPal either. This is the dark side of using paypal.

All paypal does for you if you have the "Account optional" turned on, is to put a dinky little blue link at the bottom of the Thank you for your payment page - it says "return to merchant." But that smacks of "return to shopping" and people won't do it. So you will, for sure, lose all your order detail. I have written Paypal about this and I WISH EVERYBODY WOULD. It's possible that this was an oversight. I hope so. I hope they are not so self-serving as to have done this on purpose. If we write them, they may change it. I have, meanwhiile, plastered my store with reminders: PLEASE RETURN TO MERCHANT SO THAT YOUR ORDER WILL BE PROCESSED CORRECTLY. But I have little hope of that actually happening.

I would love to know if the IPN or whatever actually works. Somebody who knows, PLEASE tell us????

This forum is so terribly huge, I'm afraid things like this get lost. There are a few people who are the knowledge core, and then the rest of us who are user-bumblers. I'm hoping this catches the attention of somebody who knows this stuff.

How do you generate the privert key needed for paypal ipn?

How do you generate the privert key needed for paypal ipn?

It seems to me that I found the place in paypal profile where you engage the IPN, and when you do, it generates the key. I think. The instructions about using it are arcane, though.

All you need to do is install the contribution I mentioned. It is very easy to do. Takes about 5 minutes. Then enable it in admin->modules and editit so it has your email address. You should be done at that point.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It seems to me that I found the place in paypal profile where you engage the IPN, and when you do, it generates the key. I think. The instructions about using it are arcane, though.

You guys really need to first search and read everything you can find on PayPal IPN before you install it. It only takes 5 minutes to install, however, setting it up may take days. Read everything and then read and follow the instructions in this link paying attention to the last two threads.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166092

This will save you a couple of bottles of aspiran and a ton of pulled out hair.

I'm a having similar issue in which I receive the name, address and payment details from paypal, but not the actual order details. When I look at the orders table, it does not have the order in it. I actually have to look in the "customer_basket" table to find the order. Any ideas?

cheers,

Etienne

• 1 month later...
All you need to do is install the contribution I mentioned. It is very easy to do. Takes about 5 minutes. Then enable it in admin->modules and editit so it has your email address. You should be done at that point.

Jack

Right. 5 minutes. Once you're an expert. If you're not, you're looking at either wanting to hang yourself, or paying someone else to do it for you the first time! Installing the module is easy. Getting it to work is a nightmare.

I can't imagine why you would say that. After uploading the files, you install the module in admin, enter your email address and set it to live - you're done. Some shops require a return url in the paypal settings for some reason but that is just copying a line of text. Where in this process are you having problems?

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I have installed the Paypal IPN and I have tested it using sandbox and it works. However, what other information do I add to the Administrative side in the other fields when done testing...in order to go live... Is there something else to add on the Paypal side...

Also, don't I have to download some sort of key code or certification or something from Paypal, and if so what and how do I do that. I have been working on this site for about 6 months and this is the last thing that I need to do in order to get up and running. Your valuable information would be greatly appreciated...

Terry :'( :'( :'(

Archived