• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Round 1 - Site review - Please help make it better!

Hello,

Okay, so I'm to the point where I know it could look a lot better but I just don't know what to fix or how to fix it. Any suggestions, ideas, and criticisms are really appreciated.

Also I'm wondering what other errors are happening that I may not be noticing or what other issues I should be working on.

The site is live (and has been for sometime) but I'm not advertising or publishing it all so I'm not expecting any orders. If you're "Checking Out" to test stuff (which would be appreciated) just don't send me any money at the PayPal part. Though I'd be glad to refund it if you do.

I've tried being critical with my site, and have posted a few observations of other people's site, but can't seem to do very well on mine.

So, to get to the point, here it is to be examined: The Moore Collection.

Thank you in advance!

~Shelly

So, to get to the point, here it is to be examined: The Moore Collection.

Thank you in advance!

~Shelly

1. Make a proffesional design for this site.

2. Content - images:

I'd like to buy jewery - so, I'll visit

http://www.themoorecollection.com/index.php?cPath=40

But what I see - I see black small imtage - I cannot understand, what is this :(

You need better images of your goods.

3. "Add to cart" button - I think, that I should to navigate into cart page, but the item's page remains after pressing "Add to cart" button.

4. Categories more importnt than "What's New?" and "Searh" section - make it up.

But what I see - I see black small imtage - I cannot understand, what is this :(

You need better images of your goods.

Thanks! All really good points and they give me some steps to focus on.

About those pictures, I was trying to be creative with combining a few pictures of one item into one picture but yeah, I do need better pictures. Which is why I ordered actual jewelry store stands to put them on...just waiting on them to get here... I'll definately redo those pictures when I get the chance.

It is not my desire to be harsh, but I took the criticism on my site to heart and made it better, I hope you will see this as offering the same.

I viewed it in 1024x768. It is too white, to barren no separators for different areas, your header is tiny and it is just bland. Buy a template, or make one on your own. THis is a stock implementation. You need to spice it up alot!!!!

Sorry to be blunt but .......

Jeff

Contributions I use: DynaMenus - Light Box - Best Sellers Content Box - Related Products 3.2 - UPS XML - Secure Admin Login - Vendor Locator - Graphical Borders.

You've obviously put a lot of work on this site, the look is far from stock. However, in my opinion, you went too far, but removing all the boxes, and having everything as part of one larger page, it makes it more confusing. Boxes are good. Add some borders to create clear markers and borders around different items. As it stands now it looks like random links scattered throughout the page.

And acting as a regular visitor who just followed a link to your page, I couldn't really figure out what you do. Your opening line sounds like it came from a politician "

Please take a look around our newly remodled website! We've been working hard to provide you the best most competitive prices on a whole new collection of merchandise on top of our standard line of products."

Lots of words, but absolutely no meaning to me, and won't help with the search engines either. Ditto for the banners. Nice graphic work and sorely lacking in many osc pages, but the followup text offers no information. What's on sale? How much can I save? And none of these graphics show me anything specific about your store. Are these generic free banners? You should have a big image that conveys who you are or what you do and sell.

Still, it's a good start, and keep working to have it look original, but not at the expense of clarity.

It is not my desire to be harsh, but I took the criticism on my site to heart and made it better, I hope you will see this as offering the same.

I viewed it in 1024x768. It is too white, to barren no separators for different areas, your header is tiny and it is just bland. Buy a template, or make one on your own. THis is a stock implementation. You need to spice it up alot!!!!

Sorry to be blunt but .......

It is very stock, that's not being harsh ;) I think centering it helped a bit but I'm looking into the template thing :rolleyes:

You've obviously put a lot of work on this site, the look is far from stock. However, in my opinion, you went too far, but removing all the boxes, and having everything as part of one larger page, it makes it more confusing. Boxes are good. Add some borders to create clear markers and borders around different items. As it stands now it looks like random links scattered throughout the page.

Kzod? Are you using FireFox for your web browsing? My fiance said my site did the same thing for him (no boxes or borders) when he was looked at it a while ago, but we thought it was just his browser acting up again.... is this a common problem with using the stylesheet.css and different browsers?

Thanks for all the advise so far!

I love ripping sites apart, as some of them here are truely terriblew. yours on the other hand is not too bad. I like the colours and the layout, even if it is stock looking. Who cares if a site is stock as long as it works.

My first negative note is about your header image. It would look better if it filled the entire header space.

Your advanced search help page mentions computer items. Alter the text to mention things that you sell in your store.

I would make your left and right colums slightly wider so that the text within the boxes does not go over onto another line. This is really noticable in your categories box, where the > for myths and legends is on a seperate line. I noticed the same in your information box. One other thing whist mentioning this box. Is warrantees spelt correctly. I thought it would be warranties.

You seem to have some buttons missing. On your product descriptions the reviews comes up as text not an image. The same happens on your product pages where buy it now is text not a button.

On your create account page do you really need to know my date of birth.

You need to add some meta tag info. At present when viewing your source code there is nothing there. Search engines will have difficulty listing your pages if there is no information.

Your site is getting there. Keep up the hard work.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

My first negative note is about your header image. It would look better if it filled the entire header space.

I've been playing around with that as well.. I can't decide what to put on the right if I use this layout:

Left-header.gif

Maybe extend the gradient purple down? What about the quick search box/bar or shopping cart? Something - I don't know.... *sigh*

Or if it's centered, I don't really like the white on both sides so I have the buttons on the right...

centered-header.gif

But I don't quite like that so I tried everything centered...

very-centered-header.gif

Any ideas?

oh and by the way, the "paypal" and "address bar" underneith the moore collection can be moved and seperated since it's not attached to the top part of the banner. I'm also thinking about removing the "my account" button and replacing it with specials or something like that.

I really value the opinions and suggestions here! Thank you!! :thumbsup:

I'm using Firefox, but it looks normal today. I don't mind the stock look, and I personally like your bright background and color choices. I actual;ly had a nice bright green background with some nice subtle streamer effects on mine, but didn't have the cojones to keep it.

I've been playing around with that as well.. I can't decide what to put on the right if I use this layout:

Left-header.gif

Maybe extend the gradient purple down? What about the quick search box/bar or shopping cart? Something - I don't know.... *sigh*

Or if it's centered, I don't really like the white on both sides so I have the buttons on the right...

centered-header.gif

But I don't quite like that so I tried everything centered...

very-centered-header.gif

Any ideas?

oh and by the way, the "paypal" and "address bar" underneith the moore collection can be moved and seperated since it's not attached to the top part of the banner. I'm also thinking about removing the "my account" button and replacing it with specials or something like that.

I really value the opinions and suggestions here! Thank you!! :thumbsup:

Here are a few easy impromvents yu could try out....

1. Why not make your logo image full width? now the background is not matching the logo background.

2. add css definitions in the stylesheet for the css buttons , to make sure all will show or alternatively use another css buttons contribution

3. add a multi picture contribution

4. change the default category box with a better looking one

Archived