• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

my first real attempt at building a site

zaxxon

hi all, finally managed to get the time to play around with osc. i would love you guys and girls to drop in and let me know what you think, please dont be shy with your critique. i am new to this so i can only get better. :)

i think all is working besides the SSL and the securing ofthe site, i still get some security warnings that page contain both secure and non secure items, am trying to iron that out in the next few hours/days.

thanks in advance,

Ron

PS. here is the link:

http://www.complete-computer-care.co.uk

currently using OSC2.2MS2 051113 with the following contributions:

AJAX Attributemanager 2.1 - All_products 4.4 - Banner manager 1.5b - banner hack picture in manager * description in product listing hack ms2 v2.4 * drop shadow boxes v.1.1 * Easy populater 2.76d-ms2 by surfalot * FCKEditor * header tag controller v2.5.9 * jcssmenu * LoginBox 5.6 * option type feature v1.71 * OSC-Cach-v1.1 * popup_imagecleaned_stilized_2 * Remove from cart button hack * scrolling bestsellers * Article manager1.4 * Links Manager v1.14. * proffessional invoice&packingslip 6.1 * Ultimate SEO URLs

Personaly i think all these features NEED to be in the main core as they are quite basic features that are missing. but then again what do i know?

hi all, finally managed to get the time to play around with osc. i would love you guys and girls to drop in and let me know what you think, please dont be shy with your critique. i am new to this so i can only get better. :)

i think all is working besides the SSL and the securing ofthe site, i still get some security warnings that page contain both secure and non secure items, am trying to iron that out in the next few hours/days.

thanks in advance,

Ron

PS. here is the link:

http://www.complete-computer-care.co.uk

Nice start you have here. The design still looks like oscommerce but you have made some nice modifactions. Nice to see a phone number at the top but I always like to see an address on the site I do business with. You might want to add this to your contact us page.

You might also want to add the ultimate seo url contribution to make your urls more person and SEF.

By the way I added a link in your link directory.

BTW I like your name great game!!

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Hi Ron,

When I went to your site, everything seems really large like its fighting for space on the page. Could be my settings (viewing with IE6 in 1024x768) but it was hard for me to focus on one thing.

I noticed you have the "Welcome Guest - Login in Here" sentence... and you have a login box right next to it as well. I like the box better than the sentence since I really didn't read the small print above the large pictures. :P

I like the categories and menu system. Along with nice product pictures and great use of the drop down menu for manufactures.

Your missing some images (or they just wouldn't load) on the hardware/cases page - it's the category image in the upper right hand corner. Oh, along with Desktop, Refurbished and Software category images. They wouldn't load for me either.

One of the banners on the side turns the wrong way and is very distracting from the products your trying to sell.

The services and broadband pages look awesome! Very nice. All of the links/pages from the Information box look good to.

You've got a counter down in the footer bar... it's a bit distracting and maybe a bit irrelivant? Personally, I don't like them but that's just me.

Oh, I can't seem to find a search option on your page... maybe I missed or it wasn't included but I personally love searching within a site for an item that could fit in more than one category and I don't want to go clicking through a bunch of products when I could just search for it....

Hopefully some of these statements are useful! Good luck with it!

Hi Ron.

2 things I noticed straight away.

On IE6 and display set at 1024, I do feel that the text is too large and there page is not sizing correctly. I am missing most of the right column and have the dreaded horizontal scroll bar.

ie6 sucks :)

but really, you are probably right, i worked on the site with my 19"screen - 1280-1024, on firefox mostly and was not thinking about other resolutions.

do you think that a quick tinker with the stylesheet do the trick. the main text is set to 1 em. it is too big most likely

AJAX Attributemanager 2.1 - All_products 4.4 - Banner manager 1.5b - banner hack picture in manager * description in product listing hack ms2 v2.4 * drop shadow boxes v.1.1 * Easy populater 2.76d-ms2 by surfalot * FCKEditor * header tag controller v2.5.9 * jcssmenu * LoginBox 5.6 * option type feature v1.71 * OSC-Cach-v1.1 * popup_imagecleaned_stilized_2 * Remove from cart button hack * scrolling bestsellers * Article manager1.4 * Links Manager v1.14. * proffessional invoice&packingslip 6.1 * Ultimate SEO URLs

Personaly i think all these features NEED to be in the main core as they are quite basic features that are missing. but then again what do i know?

Yeah.

Put a copy of the site on a server on your home computer and throw some different browsers in there too to test it out.

I use IE because I'm too lazy to learn another browser. :P

Unfortunately, IE does have the lions share of the 'market' so we must make allowances for this.

Text is way way way too big. Make it smaller.

Your button images have a grey border around them and in the corners. This looks really bad.

The text is different in the boxes on the services page.

The text on the center of the broadpand page does not fill the entire width.

As a customer i dont care when the product was added to your catalogue.

Some of your product descriptions are a bit short, and brief.

SSL security warning on some pages.

Add a link button different from other buttons.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Text is way way way too big. Make it smaller.

Your button images have a grey border around them and in the corners. This looks really bad.

The text is different in the boxes on the services page.

The text on the center of the broadpand page does not fill the entire width.

As a customer i dont care when the product was added to your catalogue.

Some of your product descriptions are a bit short, and brief.

SSL security warning on some pages.

Add a link button different from other buttons.

button images were done as PNG, and only later i learned that IE does not support transparancy of PNG and turns the transparent section to grey, i am going to resave them as gifs, and maybe convert the entire images to PNG later on when IE 7 is more common as it wil support PNG properly. thanks for the heads up bout the links images, its a new contribution i added and totaly over looked the buttons.

what do you mean about the text on the services page? i cant locate the section you are refering to, can you pin point it ? unless you mean the 2 services links in the category box - services and broadband . i ouldnt find a way to add them to the reall jcssmenu system and had to add them manualy to the box and i couldnt get it exactly right...how do i remove the product added on xx/xx/xxxx text ? i agree its totaly irrelevant for a customer or for me

thanks a lot for your critique... keep it coming. please :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

added an article section and did some work to the site, any more comments?

please...?

• 3 months later...
added an article section and did some work to the site, any more comments?

please...?

did some more work on layout and added contenet and more seo work, any comments ?

I think the infobox font size and header/footer navigation font size is a little big - just scroll down on any product info to where the footer is and you can see the 'revire' and 'put in cart' buttons, the text is tiny on them compared with the rest of the site.

I think you should increase the button font size and decrease the rest sizes mentioned above. The footer advertising makes the site look extremely unprofessional and I am not a big fan of yellow - surely there are better colours to play around with.

I think the only compliment I can give is for the CSS category box - good luck

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

...The footer advertising makes the site look extremely unprofessional .....

the fact that it is there at all or the content of it ?

Archived